The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Swedish Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Courtier

But won't Victoria need to be closer to Stockholm to carry out various appointments ??

Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
. . . . . .Why can't Victoria keep staying at her apartment at the Palace? I am sure it is big enough. Maybe they will move to the Royal Palace.
It wouldn't matter if it was big enough to house an entire Battalion, living with the in-laws is a killer, especially within the Bernadotte family.

We've all heard about the "In-laws from Hell" . . . . . . I am just guessing, but I don't think this marriage is exactly the one her parents had planned for her and, as they exert a very great degree of influence in every area of her life (moreso than her siblings) marriage is one area they definitely need to butt out of.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Serene Highness

Was any announcement where Daniel and Victoria will live after wedding? Do Swedish royals have tradition of official announcing where senior royals like crown princes, kings etc. would live after wedding?

Any news what are their living arrangements after engagement. I guess Daniel will continue to like in his house near royal palace till wedding day...or will he move somewhere to palace apartments. I guess they continue to live officially separately till wedding.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

They have enough time to build a modern house on the grounds of Drottningholm if they want to.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Sometimes I think if Carl XVI Gustav were to smile, his face would crack. Such a dour looking indavidual much of the time.

Though when he does smile, it looks quite forced and unnatural. Perhaps that's just his general disposition.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Majesty

here is more about the villa beylon
http://content.expressen.se/victoria...on_090226a.swf
its from expressen

from svensk damtidning
http://images.google.se/imgres?imgur...%3Dsv%26sa%3DN
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Gentry

Would they not live at Drottningholm Palace? I
m sure there's enough room there for them to live, and their parents as well , and they'd never have to see each other if they chose not to. It seems like duty calls her there often enough that it's where Victoria should be- or very nearby. I think the future queen of Sweden shouldn't looking to build a modern home on the palace grounds. I think it could be very tacky there. But then, I am an old-world lover, and I like palaces traditional.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by linneatherose View Post
I think the future queen of Sweden shouldn't looking to build a modern home on the palace grounds. I think it could be very tacky there. But then, I am an old-world lover, and I like palaces traditional.
True. The palace will lose it's magic if they build a modern home on the palace grounds. Anyway, Daniel is about to become a Prince of Sweden as spouse of The Crown Princess. I don't think he should have any special demands, including not living with in-laws
Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linneatherose View Post
Would they not live at Drottningholm Palace? I
m sure there's enough room there for them to live, and their parents as well , and they'd never have to see each other if they chose not to. It seems like duty calls her there often enough that it's where Victoria should be- or very nearby. I think the future queen of Sweden shouldn't looking to build a modern home on the palace grounds. I think it could be very tacky there. But then, I am an old-world lover, and I like palaces traditional.
Probably if Victoria and Daniel would also live in Drottningholm the Place would closed for the Public which would be sad as it's such a beautful place to vsist.
At the moment the one half of the Palace is open to the Public and the half where the King and Queen life is closed.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
. . . . Anyway, Daniel is about to become a Prince of Sweden as spouse of The Crown Princess. I don't think he should have any special demands, including not living with in-laws
Well he has been living on the "edge" of Victoria's public world, and within her private one. He has also lately moved into the grounds, so I don't think he is unaware of Victoria's destiny as he has had 8 years to get used to the idea.

The notion that not living with the in-laws is a "special demand" is surely putting it more than a little strongly. For the reasons earlier stated, and just like every other married couple, they need to live together on their own to have even an outside chance of establishing a marriage that will last.

To have a sucessful "Royal Marriage" requires a whole lot more.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Gentry

I don't know. If they were to share the palace, they could certainly go days without ever running into one-another. I don't begrudge them a "nest" of their own, but it doesn't seem to me like they should need it to have a successful marriage. If they are in love, accommodations should be trivial at best.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Courtier

I think Villa Beylon is quite small and moderate for a Crown Princess. 400 square meters and twelve rooms isn't very large and I know since I've lived in a house that was 360 square meters. The mansion that was a stone's throw away was 600 sq. meters if I remember correctly - and this in a country that has considerably fewer mansions and villas and no royal family! I think Villa Beylon would be better for Madeleine perhaps.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Courtier

I think that Ulriksdals Palace would be a great choice for Victoria and Daniel to live - it´s not that far from Stockholm so they can easy get to the office at the Royal Palace. It´s a fitting residence for the Crownprincesscouple... (that´s a long word... )
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I think Villa Beylon is quite small and moderate for a Crown Princess. 400 square meters and twelve rooms isn't very large and I know since I've lived in a house that was 360 square meters. The mansion that was a stone's throw away was 600 sq. meters if I remember correctly - and this in a country that has considerably fewer mansions and villas and no royal family! I think Villa Beylon would be better for Madeleine perhaps.
Well, the average family home is more 120-160 square meters...so Villa Beylon is about 3 times as big...IMO more than enough for a small family.

I don´t think Victoria is the born "high profile housewife", who would ask for new flowers in 20 of 100 rooms every second day, who would take months to choose wallpapers, who would tell an armada of cleaning ladies to polish the sterling silver and to dry-clean 30 carpets all couple of weeks.

Villa Beylon or other villas of this kind could be kept "private"...with Ulriksdal, this would be more difficult.

For me everything boils down to Drottningholm or a villa like Beylon...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

400 square meters isn't that big, especially if it has 12 rooms, they must be very small rooms. I'm use to using feet measurements, and 400 square meters is about 4,300 square feet, and that's not that big. I've seen a 4,000+ sq ft (or 370+ square meter) house and while is roomy for a family of with three or four kids, it isn't that big.

While usually I would never think it would be a good idea to live with your in laws, the Drottningholm is big enough that they wouldn't be constantly running into each other. It wouldn't be the idea choice but it could work.

I think the Ulriksadal would be a much better fit, but isn't it open to the public for part of the year? That would make it, at least partly a museum. Aren't all the palace function as museums in some way at this point? Not a lot of choices.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
400 square meters isn't that big, especially if it has 12 rooms, they must be very small rooms. I'm use to using feet measurements, and 400 square meters is about 4,300 square feet, and that's not that big. I've seen a 4,000+ sq ft (or 370+ square meter) house and while is roomy for a family of with three or four kids, it isn't that big.

While usually I would never think it would be a good idea to live with your in laws, the Drottningholm is big enough that they wouldn't be constantly running into each other. It wouldn't be the idea choice but it could work.

I think the Ulriksadal would be a much better fit, but isn't it open to the public for part of the year? That would make it, at least partly a museum. Aren't all the palace function as museums in some way at this point? Not a lot of choices.
Ulriksdal Palace is open to the Public. I visited it 3 years ago and there where a lot of people in the OParc. A part of the Castle is used by the WWF. I think there would have a lot of renovations if this should be the home of Victoria and Daniel. They last royals who used it where King Gustaf VI. Adolf and Queen Louise in summer.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Courtier

How about the Tullgarn Palace?

Tullgarn Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tullgarns slott - Wikimedia Commons

As I've understood it, it's not in use right now and it is only an hour's drive from Stockholm. King Gustav V and Queen Victoria(!) used it as their summer palace.

I think the Rosendal palace is quite lovely and not far from the Royal Palace, but I'm not sure that would work.
Flickr: PhillyFoto's stuff tagged with rosendalpalace

Ulriksdal is probably the most likely place. If the couple move to Villa Beylon, I don't think it is meant as a permanent arrangement since the place hardly is a fitting place for the future monarch. It would be a bit difficult to organize the needed security arrangements etc. there. One would also think that the house the couple will live in, is not only their home but it would also be used when hosting dinner parties etc. (like Drottningholm). The situation might change if the King and Queen retire some day and move to one of their palaces thus handing Drottningholm over to Victoria and Daniel but I doubt that would happen any time soon.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A stunning location.
Tullgarn Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reception
Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hidden away secret wedding. ()
Sofiero Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A before gala.
Ulriksdal Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Majesty

i wonder how long we will wait until we know.

i think its somewhere its hidden away from the public...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps in Läckö Castle. Would be nice, because it's in Västergötland.

Läckö Slott

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Closed Thread

Tags
castles, future, marriage, palaces, residences