Villa Solbacken, Djurgården

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl Philip´s villa Solbacken, are there any pictures of it?

Helen88 said:
Carl Philip´s villa Solbacken, are there any pictures of it?
Here it is! I have taken the pic from Princess Lilian's book.

Attachments

• 314357.jpg
    314357.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 27,289
GrandDuchess said:
Here it is! I have taken the pic from Princess Lilian's book.

Oh, it looks beautiful! Thanks for posting the photo! Who lives there right now? Nobody?

Helen88 said:
Oh, it looks beautiful! Thanks for posting the photo! Who lives there right now? Nobody?
As I noted in earlier posts, Villa Solbacken is the home of Princess Lilian.

GrandDuchess said:
As I noted in earlier posts, Villa Solbacken is the home of Princess Lilian.
Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helen88 said:
Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm.
Princess Lilian lives at Villa Solbacken which lies on Royal Djurgården (large park like area) in Stockholm. It was a villa that Prince Bertil (her late husband) owned when they met during the war in London, and which she lived in together with him when she moved in his home after she came to Sweden (that they lived together was sort of a public secret), long before they were allowed to marry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Villa solbacken

This has been Prince Bertils home and princess Lilian
Lilian has her home there

It has been said it will go to Prince Carl Philip
I think it was in Bertils will

Is there any photos of this villa

has this villa been in the family before bertil got it
or did he build it, how big is it?
what is known about the villa?

Gustaf von Hofsten,a former adjutant of the king, told to Svensk Damtidning that he has helped to carry some treasures and valuable things away from Villa Solbacken. He told also that there hasn't been made any decisions about a possible renovation. And no decision of who is going to move there hasn't been made either. He said that he doesn't know if Carl Philip is going to move there - and Carl Philip doesn't know it either.

It looks like a lovely home...grand and simple all at once.

These photos aren't from Carl Philip's Villa Solbacken. The first is from Villa Solbacken in Sundsvall.
Träpatronernas arv hotas av utplåning SvD

The last is from Villa Solbacken in Kalmar, which is used for conferences, weddings and other kinds of events.
Villa Solbacken in Kalmar, close to Öland.
Konferens i Kalmar nära Öland Bröllop & Festvåning – Villa Solbacken

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning writes in this week's issue that Villa Solbacken's renovation has started. According to SD Carl Philip has been very involved in planning. The kitchen needs a total renovation. And the renovation should be ready before Carl Philip's and Sofia's wedding.

Svensk Damtidning tells that "we have with our own eyes seen" how the cars of company Färemo Bygg & Produktion come and leave Villa Solbacken, so obviously they are doing the renovation. The company has made work before to Kungliga Djurgårdsförvaltningen (Royal Djurgården Trust).
Villa Solbacken has got green rating from the Stockholm City Museum, which means that the house has a high cultural value, and it is particularly valuable from historical, cultural, environmental or artistic point of view. Carl Philip can't make comprehensive changes to the house without permission.

Last edited:
Expressen tells that The Office of the Royal Djurgården Administration has send an application to the City Planning Office for Villa Solbacken on the island of Djurgården.
Carl Philip (and Sofia) want to redo the floor plan inside the house and even put up new balconies. The same day that the application was received all documents were classified as secret, to protect the couple and ensure their safety.
Sofia och Carl Philips hemliga renovering Leva & bo Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Expressen tells that the renovation of Villa Solbacken takes much more time than first thought. It will not be ready when Carl Philip and Sofia return from their honeymoon.
Prince Carl Philip is now awaiting a building permit from the City Planning Office and it can be a tough process. Royal Court Superintendent Jan Lindman confirms that this will take time:
- It is about a total interior and exterior renovation. It's very long ago something was done to the house. Such elementary things like electricity and water must be reviewed and will almost certainly be renewed. The renovation will not be completed this summer. There is so much to do, says Lindman.
When is it done?
- Impossible to say. It depends a lot on when it will be started and how it progresses. It's something you have to see along the way.
Lindman points out that it is Carl Philip, who owns the house and it has nothing to do with the court - and thus not having appanage, taxpayer money.
- No, no, this is completely private. Prince Carl Philip is the owner and it is he who pays and decides together with Sofia on the renovation. Nothing to do with the court. I'm just a contact person.
The documents Expressen has reviewed show that the prince wants to do everything from rearranging inside the house to build the balconies. Villa Solbacken is classed as a modern k-listed building, green classification. This means that Carl Philip and Sofia now have to apply for every change they want to do on and inside the house.
- The house should be converted to modern standards. It is a major functionalist building with large surfaces and it will take time, says Lindman.
Sofia får vänta på sin nya drömbostad Extra Expressen
Translation

I wonder why Carl Philip asked for the building permit only a couple of weeks ago. Why he didn't do that right after they got engaged last summer?

Last edited:
:previous: With Princess Lillian only dying in March of 2013 I can imagine there is a time for grief, and time to inventory the contents, ensure they go where Bertil and Lillian specified. To jump the gun and rush in the back with the builder while to funeral cortege is moving off out front would be insensitive and, of all the thing said about CP, insensitive didn't seem to be one of them.

There is also the unexpected when you inherit a property, especially if there has only been one occupant for a very long time. Every room would hold precious memories for the SRF, not just CP, so I imagine that there was quite a lot of natural delay. If any of you have ever had to go through the property of a deceased family member you know that every memory takes it's own time and can go off at a tangent.

Then comes the time you survey the property and know that you have a major project on your hands because simple things like electrical wiring and plumbing all hark back in time and in this case, to the 1930's and so require updating. And if the building is a "listed" building as this is, you know that you are limited in what you can do and some of the things you want to do are going to cost twice as much as any other house because you need to protect the integrity of the design.

Put simply, inheriting the property of someone you love dearly is a blessing and a curse. I'm not surprised they seem to have hardly started yet.

As Svensk Damtidning told already in the beginning of May 2013, that the court staff was emptying Villa Solbacken, the waiting seems a little bit strange, surely Carl Philip and Sofia have talked before their engagement that they will move there.
But maybe they changed in some point their plans and decided that they want to do a totally new Villa Solbacken, as the press tells that they want to change the floor plans and build balconies. So they need more permits than just to electricity and watering system.

:previous: I think you are right. The way we live now is not the way they lived then. That change is reflected in the style and structure of the houses we build today.

Isn't it amazing to think that a kitchen on par with a professional is the rule rather than the exception these days. I am not sure about the bathrooms in Sweden, but my parents didn't have a shower in their home, just a lovely big old claw footed bath (which surprisingly seem to be back in vogue). It's sad to think that we are so 'time poor' that we seldom have the time to indulge daily in a big, relaxing bath . . . no, these days we whip in and out for a 'quick shower', because we are always in a hurry. These days bathrooms have his and hers 'everything' and are far, far, bigger and merely facilitate the manic pace of modern times and the way we live our lives.

Those changes merely reflect lifestyle and technological changes, but add in your personal tastes and nothing is 'simple' any more.

Stoppa pressarna quotes an article in Expressen Extra
The gift became a curse. Now it turns out that Prince Bertil's house which Carl Philip inherited is a hovel.
The historic functionalist villa of 250 square meters with two balconies was built in 1930 and looks from the outside like a real dream house. But Expressen Extra reveals that the house is in fact a hovel that really should be demolished.
- The generous legacy has turned into headaches for the prince.
Villa Solbacken may also have asbestos and is in great need of extensive renovations. Also, it costs a lot to own a property that no one lives in. Expenses Carl Philip himself must stand for since he is the owner of the house.
- Normal costs such as heating, insurance, water and sanitation, says Keeper of the Privy Purse Jan Lindman from the court.
Carl Philip and Sofia live in another property on Djurgården. Many thought that the couple would move into Villa Solbacken almost immediately after the wedding, but it seems no longer to be considered on the catastophic condition. In February the prince send in a planning application to get renovation to the villa, but nothing has happened yet.
The legacy has become a real nightmare for the prince. The options to demolish or sell the house are not actual, because the house was Prince Bertil's gift to Carl Philip.
- He has no choice, says an informed source.
There would be an outcry if the Prince sold his inheritance. Moreover, Villa Solbacken is part of the Swedish royal history.
Carl Philips mörka förbannelse _ Stoppa Pressarna

So is he living in another villa owned by the Royal Family of Sweden for now until this villa is renovated?

So is he living in another villa owned by the Royal Family of Sweden for now until this villa is renovated?

The house where Carl Philip and Sofia live in Djurgården, is not owned by the Royal Family. The king has the right of disposition of Royal Djurgården. Today, this right is exercised by the Royal Djurgården Administration which is a part of the Royal Court of Sweden.
The house where Carl Philip and Sofia are living. There are several apartments at the house and Carl Philip and Sofia live in one of them.
http://images.mmcloud.se/api/v1/ima...04a0/980.jpg?6f2f384b4b9b8530ffe22c89c8459c15

Last edited:
Expressen writes that there is still not any renovation plan with Villa Solbacken and it requires millions from Carl Philip's pocket. Jan Lindman, the financial director of the court, says that it is the prince's private property and the renovation isn't burdening the court administration.

Villa Solbacken was built in 1930 and bought by Prince Bertil in 1949. The building was designed by architect Ragnar Hjorth and is in functional style. Prince Carl Philip inherited the house after the death of Prince Bertil in 1997 with the condition that Princess Lilian had the right to stay there as long as she lived. The living area is approximately 200-250 square meters, with it's enclosed garden plot. The villa consists currently of seven rooms. There is also a large balcony. The documents submitted to the City Planning in January show that Carl Philip and Sofia want to make a total rearrangement of the house and build more balconies.
Villa Solbacken is classed as a modern k-listed building, green classification. For this reason the prince couple have to apply for any changes they want to make, both externally and internally.

On January 30, Lindman sent documents to the City Planning regarding Villa Solbacken, the application forms for construction matters. The documents showed that there was extensive work to be done. Today - over eight months later - absolutely nothing has happened.
- No, that's right. We have not come forward right now in the process.
The house needs a total renovation and it is reportedly where the problem has occurred. The renovation must be paid by Carl Philip's and Sofia's private funds. The documents show that Carl Philip had wanted the construction to start already on 1 February.
- There is at the moment no timetable for the renovation. It is about a total interior and exterior renovation. Such elementary things as electricity and water must be reviewed and will almost certainly be renewed, says Lindman.
But it's been eight months?
- Yes, but it's been a busy year for the couple with a lot of work, engagement, wedding and the honeymoon. They have chosen to prioritize other areas than the renovation of the house this year. The couple wants to make a cozy and modern accommodation. But there is much to be done. They want to bring in the house's aesthetic values. It's a big house and a big project.
When they can move in?
- Impossible to say at the moment.
Are they thinking to ignore the renovation and sell the house?
- No, there are no such plans. The house will not be sold, said Lindman.
Carl Philip och Sofia i bostadsdilemma _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan wrote last week about Villa Solbacken, that according to the neighbours there is no renovation going at the villa right now. And according to Hänt i Veckan Carl Philip and Sofia are now thinking if they are moving to the villa at all. The villa is close to a popular walkway. Having been grown in Älvdalen Sofia surely wants to live more separately when she becomes a mother and Sofia is worried that the renovation with removing radon isn't good enough to remove the poison gas, especially when thinking about the baby. Carl Philip is facing a difficult moral dilemma: as a beloved godson he can't say no to a gift from his great-uncle.

What a shame, if nothing is done to the villa at all it will just decay even further. Surely they could do what any other person or couple would do and save money and renovate bit by bit.

Back
Top Bottom