Swedish Residences General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the reason i was wondering is that when i drove thorugh stockholm several weeks ago i saw many grand "palaces" i was thinking if there was any royal connection
i do understand that people without royal connevtion also build "palaces"
is ther any of the ambasedys that has royal connection

GrandDuchess said:
Prince Carl Philip inherited Villa Solbacken (the home of Princess Lilian) at the death of Prince Bertil, whom left it to him with his spouse's right to use it throughout her life.

So I think we're gonna have to look elsewhere for suggestions. Villa Beylon, the home of Princess Christina and her husband (who are moving out this year) has been one object of speculation in the press, but I'm sure there could be others as well.
Where does she live? I cannot remember if I ever even knew.

Embassies

Josefine said:
the reason i was wondering is that when i drove thorugh stockholm several weeks ago i saw many grand "palaces" i was thinking if there was any royal connection
i do understand that people without royal connevtion also build "palaces"
is ther any of the ambasedys that has royal connection

The Spanish embassy is in the "Byströmska Villan" at Djurgården. This house was the residence for prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg for a couple of years in the beginning of the 20th century. It was heavliy rebuilt for them by architect Ferdinand Boberg who designed five reconstructions/newbuildings for members of the royal family, the best known of these is Waldemarsudde for prince Eugen. He also designed a palace for prince Gustaf Adolf (later crownprince Gustaf Adolf / King Gustav VI Adolf) which wasn´t built. Another of his buildings for the Royal family was Oakhill near Waldemarsudde for prince Wilhelm and his wife princess Anna. This building which was financed by a childless Russian princess, who was an aunt of princess Anna, and was sold following their divorce. It is now the Italian Embassy.

Josefine said:
wonder if stenhammar would become a summer palace for victorias future family
Some of these old castles / palaces may not be upgraded with today's necessarities, like hot water, toilets, central heating and such.

I know the Skokloster castle doesn't have central heating.

It's very expensive and extremely difficult to construct these systems and physicly get them into the old castle rooms, so I believe it's only done when it's absolutely necessary.

Maybe this is why the royal family only uses the fairly new Solliden along with Drottningholm and the Stockholm palace. They could easily use places like Tullgarn and Stenhammar much more if they wanted to.

Have someone infos and pictures of Villa Svezia in Rome, the house owned by Queen Victoria of Sweden, where she lived before her death?

Best Palaces and Castles to Visit in Sweden

I know about visiting Drottningholm and Gripsholm, but are there any other "royal places" I shouldn't miss on a visit?

I know about visiting Drottningholm and Gripsholm, but are there any other "royal places" I shouldn't miss on a visit?
Well the obvious is the Royal Palace inside the city :flowers: But otherwise you´ve picked the best two imo.

I guess it depends on your interests, but the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Drottningholm and Gripsholm are top 3 for a first time visit. I would also recommend a visit to Waldemarsudde, the home of the late Prince Eugen which is today a museum.

I love the royal palaces in Stockholm Sweden. They are very beautiful.

Beautifull palaces. Thank you for the video.

contact

I would like to write to the King. To what address should I send my correspondance?

Depends where do you want to write to?

I found this adress on royalcourt.se:

Kungliga Slottet
111 30 Stockholm

His Majesty the King = "Hans Majestät Konungen", in Swedish

I think that swedish royal palaces are very mighty and beautifull.Far more monumental and more pretty than, for instance, famous british residences.
Unfortunatelly, they are not so world known.Their position (On the sea costs), their baroque architecture, their interior are wonderfool.And most important, they are houses of my favorite royal, Crown Princess Victoria.

There have been two royal summer residences with the name Villa Fridhem (Fridhem = Peaceful home), one on the island of Gotland, Villa Fridhem, Västerhejde - Wikipedia owned by princess Eugénie of Sweden and the other Villa Fridhem in Östergötland, Villa Fridhem, Kolmården - Wikipedia owned by prince Carl of Sweden, the father of queen Astrid of Belgium and crown princess Märtha of Norway.

One reason that the royal family do not own any castle besides Solliden is that Bernadotte is a new dynasty. The royal castles were build by earlier dynasties and was owned by "the crown"(the state). The Bernadottes build Rosendahls castle( it is more of a pavillion), Sofiero and Solliden. They payed for these buildings with their private money. I do not know how it came that Rosendal is owned by the state, but Sofiero was left to the city of Helsingborg in Gustaf VI Adolf's will.

Villa Beylon was not owned by princess Christina. It is one of the many buildings the king has at his disposal where he can chose the tenant.

There is a rumour that Carl Philip is building a new flat in central Stockholm. He is supposed to have bought an attic and is now having a modern two story flat constructed. Well he as recently got a mortgage on his farm.

One reason that the royal family do not own any castle besides Solliden is that Bernadotte is a new dynasty. The royal castles were build by earlier dynasties and was owned by "the crown"(the state). The Bernadottes build Rosendahls castle( it is more of a pavillion), Sofiero and Solliden. They payed for these buildings with their private money. I do not know how it came that Rosendal is owned by the state, but Sofiero was left to the city of Helsingborg in Gustaf VI Adolf's will.

When Oscar II died in 1907, Gustaf V, Prince Oscar, Prince Carl and Prince Eugen decided to turn Rosendal Palace into a museum dedicated to Karl XIV Johan and the family of Bernadotte in general. The palace as a museum officially opened its doors in 1913; it's still open to public in summer.
Since it is the government, and not the royal family, who has paid for maintaining the palace, it became state owned.

Thank you for the interesting information; I never knew the Bernadottes only built three palaces. :flowers:

Prince Carl and princess Ingeborg lived in Villa Parkudden in Djurgården in 1899-1908. The villa has been owned by Royal Djurgården administration from 1908, but the king disposes it.
It was planned that Madeleine and Jonas Bergström would have moved there but that made a big fight, since there were tenants at the villa.

Villa Parkudden is now empty of tenants and slottsfogde Gunnar Haeger says that it would be a very good home for Madeleine or Carl Philip. SÄPO considers it as a good place for someone who needs bigger security measures. There is four apartments at the house but it will be renovated by installing geothermal heating, and a new kitchen and bathroom will be made.
The king hasn't decided yet who can move to the Villa. When Madeleine and Jonas were supposed to move in, it caused trouble since there were tenants living in the villa, now they all have moved to other houses in Djurgården.
Madeleine lives now in New York, but if she's moving home or need an overnight home Villa Parkudden would be a good option. Carl Philip has a floor near Djurgården but could get a much nicer and safer housing at Villa Parkudden. Haeger says that it is clear that there is such speculation, but they have still not received any information regarding this.

Gunnar Holmgren, Governor of the Royal Palaces, will soon inspect Villa Parkudden.
- I actually have not had time to see it for myself. It is only now that we have access to it, he says.
He wouldn't comment on whether he has heard who will be living in the villa.
- There is no decision as far as I can tell.
”Det kan bli deras hem” Nyheter Aftonbladet

Villa Parkudden will be renovated. Expressen has an article "Sofia's and Carl Philip's dream house renovated on Djurgården".

After Villa Parkudden with its 900 square meters has been empty since last year it is now prepared for it's future tenants. The next few months, the entire facade will be touched up and the standard should be raised at the previous exclusive accommodation.
- Late autumn, I would guess that we are told by the king who or which ones to dispose of the house. The first is the facade and roof which will be reviewed now, it is usually the one starts with before an interior renovation. We now look at how to manage the building, says Gunnar Holmgren, governor and castellan at Stockholm Castle Administration.
There is an extensive renovation that is now being implemented and when the first stage of facade and roof is finished, the house will also get an interior renovation.
- The first will last for at least six months, says Holmgren.
Princess Madeleine recently revealed that she and Chris O'Neill had Villa Parkudden as an alternative for housing, but it did not happen because the couple did not live full-time in Sweden.
Those who could move in at Villa Park are Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist. They live today just 700 meters from the house in another house that the king disposes. Carl Philip owns also prince Bertil's Villa Solbacken.

Villa Parkudden is classified by SÄPO as suitable with safety, the house is on a hill and not close to other homes. It is a house that is relatively easy for SÄPO to redo and the rate as a security building.
Director Margareta Thorgren from the press department:
- There is no one moving in Villa Parkudden in near future.
Could it be Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist?
- That is absolutely not actual in the current situation, says Thorgren.
Neither around Villa Solbacken are some decisions:
- There are different ideas, but nothing concrete in the current situation that we can communicate, says Mats Nilsson, First Marshal of the Court.
Sofia och Carl Philips drömhus renoveras Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf has deciced that Villa Parkudden will be changed to a house with six apartments.
Gunnar Holmgren, governor of the Royal Palaces, confirms that an extensive renovation has started at Villa Parkudden on Djurgården, but it is no longer intended for just one family - but for six apartments.
"There is an ongoing renovation of Villa Parkudden and we are done with the facade and roof. In the spring there will be an interior renovation. As the planning stands right now, it may be up to six apartments in the house," writes Gunnar Holmgren in an email.
Villa Parkudden was thought as a suitable home for Madeleine and Chris, but Madeleine said last year that Villa Parkudden was long an option, but it is 900 square meters and certainly not a living if they don't live full time in Sweden.
Deras drömhus blir lägenheter Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Svensk Damtidning tells at this article, that according to their sources, Villa Parkudden will be after renovation a retirement home for the employees of Royal Djurgården Administration.
Så blir prinsessan Madeleines liv i Sverige Svensk Damtidning

Last edited:
The facade lights will be switched off at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, Drottningholm Palace, Gripsholm Castle and Rosendal Palace for the WWF Earth Hour on Saturday, March 28 between 8.30-9.30pm. At the Royal Palace of Stockholm the two Courtyards and the lights in the official apartments will be switched off as well.

The Royal Palaces have participated in this for several years.

Aftonbladet has an article about the holiday houses of the royal family.
Solliden Palace
Villa Mirage in France
Stenhammar Castle
Ökenäs, which Carl Philip inherited
The cottage in Sunne, which Carl Philip got as a christening present as the duke of Värmland
Storlien

They don't write about Victoria's and Daniel's own summer house in Solliden, and about Victoria's and Daniel's summer house in Acktjära.
Kolla in kungafamiljens semesterhus! - My home

The photos of Storlien is beautiful like cart-postal.

Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia have applied for planning permission for Villa Solbacken on Djurgården in Stockholm, where they are assumed to move in, but yet they have not received a green light on its application. The couple plan to helrenovera (renovate?) the classic functionalist house that was bequeathed to Prince Carl Philip after Prince Bertil died.
Source: Nu börjar Sofias helt nya jobbliv | Nyheter | Expressen
Translation

ETA:
I must confess that I don't find the Swedish royal palaces, the buildings themselves, all that attractive or impressive. I tend to like the interiors and oftentimes the grounds are nice and/or it is enhanced by its location, e.g., being near water.

I have seen some very lovely and impressive Swedish castles but they don't belong to/are used by the Swedish Royal Family.

Last edited:
The King says no to refugees at the Royal Palace - but opens to find other premises to be used as housing for asylum seekers.
The National Property Board, which owns the palaces which the king disposes, is sympathetic to an initiative from the court.
- Overall, it's a great idea to make use of premises that are never used, says Johan Zetterberg, property director at the Agency for Administrative.

The housing situation of asylum seekers is acute and the government has announced that Sweden can no longer guarantee shelter to all who come.
That has made the king to consider how the court could help.
- The Royal Family are following and are incredibly committed to this issue. Based on the situation that is like that many help in various ways, and even the royal family has done it by supporting established organizations specifically working with refugees, says Margareta Thorgren.
The Royal Court and the royal family's charitable foundations manage over two billion, and it is through them they have contributed with their support. The court has previously received requests from the public to allow asylum seekers to stay overnight at the Royal Palace, which they, however, have dismissed.
- The Royal Palace is one of Sweden's most important tourist destinations and also museum and workplace for many people, says Thorgren.

In contrast, the king is open to "other creative suggestions". But when it comes to the properties Thorgren believes that any initiative should come from the National Property Board, which formally owns the Palaces.
What would you answer if the National Property Board will find a suitable property as the king disposes?
- Then we would discuss it, yes, says Thorgren.

The National Property Board, which manages state property, earlier this year sent a list of areas of land that could be used to build new asylum accommodation.
So if the king gets in touch and wants to lend a room or residence to refugees you are in favor?
- Yes, of course. What we need to monitor, for example, cultural values ​​and assets. But otherwise, we think that overall it is a great idea to use premises that are never used.
Hovet öppnar för asylboende - DN.SE
Translation

The King and the rest of the family are strongly committed to the refugee issue. But the court denies now that the King's properties in Sweden would be actual as asylum places:
- No, that's not true, says Margareta Thorgren
That the king's properties in Sweden which he uses through the National Property Board would function as asylum accommodation is not true according to Ms Thorgren.
- No, it's nothing that has been an issue. And will also not be relevant in the present. It is simply not true.
Hovet dementerar_ Inga asylboenden _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom