Stenhammar Castle, Flen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Last edited by a moderator:
Stenhammar, Flen

how is it with stenhammar
in a book about silvia it says they have it as a retreat (madeleine is yet not born when this book is written)
are they using it still
also tullgarn is mentioned but they like stenhammar better for get a way weekends

Josefine said:
how is it with stenhammar
in a book about silvia it says they have it as a retreat (madeleine is yet not born when this book is written)
are they using it still
also tullgarn is mentioned but they like stenhammar better for get a way weekends

I actually live quite near Stenhammar Castle! I have never seen any royal there myself, but i know many people that have met the king and queen when they have strolled the grounds. But they are almost never there, not even once a year... it´s a shame i think. The castle just lie there not open to the puplic, they can´t open it beacuse of the will that says who is to have right to use the castle.

Attachments

• Stenhammars%20slott%20och%20mur.jpg
    Stenhammars%20slott%20och%20mur.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,279
rop81 said:
I actually live quite near Stenhammar Castle! I have never seen any royal there myself, but i know many people that have met the king and queen when they have strolled the grounds. But they are almost never there, not even once a year... it´s a shame i think. The castle just lie there not open to the puplic, they can´t open it beacuse of the will that says who is to have right to use the castle.
I absolutely agree! It's such a shame, Stenhammar seems to be such a wonderful place, an excellent get-away retreat place!

But I also think it's a shame that they don't use much of the other Royal Palaces either, when the royal children were younger they used to spend time at Tullgarn Palace (I think it was) for ex around Christmas time - but now they just stick to their home (Drottningholm) and their workplace (the Royal Palace of Stockholm)…

Stenhammar Palace

stenhammarkatrineholmskuriren5.jpg

Picture from the newspaper Katrineholmskuriren

According to some people in the area where I live (near Stenhammar) the King was here about a week ago, at Stenhammar to inspect a building site. And he was apparently in a very good mood asking a lot of questions.

Is Stenhammer(sp?) Palace a Swedish royal residence?

CasiraghiTrio said:
Is Stenhammer(sp?) Palace a Swedish royal residence?
It's not mentioned as a Royal Palace along with the other official Royal Residences that one can find on the official website, so it's not counted along with the other official Royal Residences, but Stenhammar is a residence of the King (by lease from the State in accordance with the testament and last will of the last private owner) and as such it's of course also some kind of "Royal Residence".

i what i understamd it will only go to a male heir
so it will be carl philips later on

a other photo from expressen
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1283801!slot100slotWide75ArticleFull/3447786819.jpg

Ökenäs

Carl philip has been given this "farm" dues to Bertil Jonsén will.
Bertil is not close to the royal family but have met them due to his military background..
'
what is known about this farm

photo from expressen
http://www.kvp.se/polopoly_fs/1.1363408!slot100slotWide75ArticleFull/3447786819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The king is interested in farming and is breeding cows at Stenhammar.

Stenhammar castle and the estate of about 2000 hectares land was donated to the state by a private person who decided that it could only be rented by a prince of Sweden with preference to the duke of Sörmland. Since the annual rent was set in the will it is now very favourable.

Before the king, prince Wilhelm used Stenhammar as his residence. People say the reason he did not marry his lady was that by loosing his title he would also loose Stenhammar.

The Keeper of the Privy Purse Jan Lindman from the court told in last week's Svensk Damtidning, that after the renovation of Stenhammar Castle last year, a lot of private furniture was taken there. The royal family has a lot of personal property we are trying to use, tells Lindman. Nowadays the Castle has been divided into two sections: at the first there is the private area and also the partly private area, which can be used for representation, just like at Haga. At the other part there is the office of Stenhammars Godsförvaltning and room for the researchers from the University of the Agricultural Sciences. Lindman says that there hasn't been made any decision when Carl Philip will get the lease of Stenhammar or move there.

The King has never made any secret of his farmer's dream and Stenhammar Castle in Sörmland has become his sanctuary. There he has in recent years implemented a comprehensive renovation of over 31 million, and in the courtyard, extensive farming operations. Now the king is buying about 80 pcs of cattle to Stenhammar of race Simmental. Simmental cattle are a versatile breed of cattle originating in the valley of the Simme River, in the Bernese Oberland of western Switzerland. Mikael Jansson from the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences confirms that the king is buying cattle and that they can cost from 10 000 up to over 100 000 per animal.
- The King is very involved in the operation of Stenhammar. Both in terms of agriculture and animals, says Margareta Thorgren from the press department.
Kungens förhandling – om att köpa 80 kor Nyheter Expressen
Translation

The will of the last owner of Stenhammar authorizes the state to lease it for life to any prince belonging to the Royal House who has succession rights to the throne. A Duke of Södermanland, if he wishes to lease the property, takes priority over the other candidates.

Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen.

Finnes vid något utarrenderingstillfälle någon svensk undersåte varande, eventuell arvsrätt till tronen ägande, prins av det regerande konungahuset, som är hertig av Södermanland, så äger han företrädesrätt till arrendet, om han eller hans målsman så önskar.
Stenhammar was leased first to Prince Wilhelm, Duke of Södermanland (1884-1965), and secondly to then Crown Prince Carl Gustaf, Duke of Jämtland. After the king's death, Prince Alexander will have the best claim to Stenhammar, not because he is the king's male-line grandson, but because he was created Duke of Södermanland. If he chooses not to lease Stenhammar, Prince Carl Philip and Prince Oscar (and Prince Nicolas if he has not lost his succession rights) will have equally strong claims.

Aftonbladet's article from yesterday:

Prince Carl Philip may lose the Stenhammar Castle - son may have priority

Prince Carl Philip has probably been in order to lease the castle after his parents but now the king has given his latest grandchild the priority.
Stenhammar Castle in Flen in Södermanland is not owned, but rented by the king.
According to Robert von Kraemer's will the lease right belongs to "a prince of the royal family with the eventual succession to the throne".
Therefore Prince Carl Philip should stand in line. But no, it is not obvious. According to the will the prince of the royal family, who is Duke of Södermanland owns a preferential right to lease if he or his parent or guardian wishes. The King announced last week that Prince Alexander is the new Duke of Sodermanland.
According to the testament, the parents have the right to put their vetoes regarding Stenhammar until the Duke comes of age.
So the question is what happens to Stenhammar when the king passes away.
If Prince Alexander has become of age, he can be the one to decide who will get to lease the castle.
- One can say congratulations to Alexander, formally he prevails at the next lease parcel, that is, when the king dies. But as it is in the testament, if he himself or his guardian, that is to say Carl Philip agrees, says author and journalist Herman Lindqvist.
But Stenhammar's future could be decided during the current lease period.
- The King can write his own kind of will, but probably the king wants prince Alexander to take over because he has made him the duke. I can imagine that the King writes a will that Carl Philip will take over until Alexander comes of age. But this is unique and exclusive, I don't know any other royal thing reserved to a duke, Lindqvist says.
There's two other princes, too?
- Yes, but they are not dukes of Södermanland.
The court can't tell if there is any thought about what will happen to Stenhammar in the future.
- There is surely, but there is nothing that the court can explain, says Margareta Thorgren.
Is there any interest from Crown Princess Victoria that Prince Oscar will take over Stenhammar?
- What we can conclude is that Stenhammar is a place that the king really likes and he has interest concerning animals, nature and agriculture issues together with Prince Carl Philip.
So the idea is that Carl Philip will take over?
- No, I haven't said that. What we can say is that Stenhammar means a lot to the king, and interest in agricultural issues is something he shares with his son.
Thorgren doesn't know if the king is aware about these things in the will regarding who has the right to Stenhammar.
Footnote: Aftonbladet has tried to get lawyers at the National Property Board to interpret the will but they announce that they currently see no reason to interpret the parts of the testament's conditions regarding future tenants.
Prins Carl Philip kan förlora framtida disponeringsrätt av Stenhammar slott - till sonen prins Alexander _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Since the number of dukedoms is limited (the 25 traditional provinces, or "landskap"), sooner or later the King would have been forced to give away the Dukedom of Södermanland and the rights to Stenhammar. In this way, it stays in Carl Philip's family. It probably was the King's plan all along.

The king bought 90 cows of the Swiss Simmental breed and a number of calves. Price: 1 350 000 SEK.
The cows are not really new, but are already in the herd at the Stenhammar Castle.
The animals have to date been on ''deposit'' by the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, on the estate run by the king by Stenhammar Estate Management. The University has in turn used them for research purposes.
The castle's profile is meat production. The animals often graze on natural land with little forest surrounding the estate and the castle.
- We have kept the animals for consistent access for research. At the agreement was a clause that said that the cows could be transferred. And it has now been made, said the court's treasurer Jan Lindman.
The cows are passed to king about ten days.
- Payment for the animals is made on the last of June, says Lindman.
- The purchase price was 1 350 000 SEK, a sum that both parties are happy with, says Mikael Jansson, press officer at the University.
Lindman is well versed in the royal meat production and cooperation with the University
The University's research on the royal cows continues, says Lindman.
Simmental breed originally comes from a valley in Switzerland with the same name and is a combined dairy and beef cattle. The breed is considered one of the world's most widespread breed and number of animals is estimated at over 40 million.
Kungen blir storbonde – gör miljonköp av kor _ Dina Pengar
Translation

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia go to Stenhammar as often as they can. But the king told on Stenhammar Day to Svensk Damtidning's reporter Helena Wiklund, that he had thought that he would have more time to spend in Stenhammar, but he doesn't have much because of his busy schedule. But maybe there will be more time in the future, we will see, the king said. He told also that there are sheep now in Stenhammar too, after he got a sheep as a gift on his jubilee from his good friend Anders Wall. But of course the sheep couldn't be alone, so there got to be some ewes too. And now they got quadruplets, which is so much fun! They have it well in Stenhammar, said the king.

According to Robert von Kraemer's will the lease right belongs to "a prince of the royal family with the eventual succession to the throne".
Therefore Prince Carl Philip should stand in line. But no, it is not obvious. According to the will the prince of the royal family, who is Duke of Södermanland owns a preferential right to lease if he or his parent or guardian wishes. The King announced last week that Prince Alexander is the new Duke of Sodermanland.
According to the testament, the parents have the right to put their vetoes regarding Stenhammar until the Duke comes of age.

[...]

The court can't tell if there is any thought about what will happen to Stenhammar in the future.
- There is surely, but there is nothing that the court can explain, says Margareta Thorgren.
Is there any interest from Crown Princess Victoria that Prince Oscar will take over Stenhammar?
- What we can conclude is that Stenhammar is a place that the king really likes and he has interest concerning animals, nature and agriculture issues together with Prince Carl Philip.
So the idea is that Carl Philip will take over?
- No, I haven't said that. What we can say is that Stenhammar means a lot to the king, and interest in agricultural issues is something he shares with his son.
Thorgren doesn't know if the king is aware about these things in the will regarding who has the right to Stenhammar.
Footnote: Aftonbladet has tried to get lawyers at the National Property Board to interpret the will but they announce that they currently see no reason to interpret the parts of the testament's conditions regarding future tenants.
Prins Carl Philip kan förlora framtida disponeringsrätt av Stenhammar slott - till sonen prins Alexander _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Since the number of dukedoms is limited (the 25 traditional provinces, or "landskap"), sooner or later the King would have been forced to give away the Dukedom of Södermanland and the rights to Stenhammar. In this way, it stays in Carl Philip's family. It probably was the King's plan all along.

That Thorgren declined to confirm that Prince Carl Philip and Prince Alexander would take over Stenhammar is difficult to understand, as the king's intentions seem decidedly obvious.

It is clear enough that Alexander is first in line to lease Stenhammar according to the testament of Robert Kraemer. However, it seems that following Alexander, any plans for a duchess of Södermanland or a non-royal child of Alexander to lease Stenhammar would compel the National Property Board to issue a verdict interpreting the testament.

Assuming that Alexander is of age when he has the right to lease I would assume he takes it on and has it for life. Only when he passes it will leave CP's line (assuming that Alexander and Gabriel's children won't be princes of Sweden) and another royal duke (most likely a son (or grandson) of Estelle if she has any) will take over.

To me it's a given that Alexander will take over the lease one day but I'm not so sure about Carl Philip not holding it between the King and his son. He's already heavily involved in the running of the estate and he has a degree in agriculture.
The will states that the lease is for a prince of the royal house and that a Duke of Södermanland have first dibs on the lease if he or his guardian wants it but it also states that if there are more persons who has an equal right to the lease it's up to the King to decide. The will doesn't spell out what these equal rights are but the vague wording allows, according to my interpretation, for the King to leave the lease to Carl Philip who'll then in due time be succeeded by his son.

Last edited:
To correct my earlier comment, it was Carl Philip's (not Alexander's) eventual takeover of the lease which Ms. Thorgren declined to confirm, and I assume she left it open as Alexander will perhaps already be of age when the current king passes away, and should he demand to take over Stenhammar his rights as the Duke of Södermanland will override those of his father.

Would keeping the Dukedom of Södermanland and Stenhammar in Prince Carl Philip's family remain a feasible option if the future Queen Victoria, to limit the number of Princes and Princesses, decided not to request the government to give its consent to the marriages of her brother's sons and as a result their children were not royal? In terms of precedent, Stenhammar did not stay with Count Lennart Bernadotte after his father Prince Wilhelm's death.

To me it's a given that Alexander will take over the lease one day but I'm not so sure about Carl Philip not holding it between the King and his son. He's already heavily involved in the running of the estate and he has a degree in agriculture.
The will states that the lease is for a prince of the royal house and that a Duke of Södermanland have first dibs on the lease if he or his guardian wants it but it also states that if there are more persons who has an equal right to the lease it's up to the King to decide. The will doesn't spell out what these equal rights are but the vague wording allows, according to my interpretation, for the King to leave the lease to Carl Philip who'll then in due time be succeeded by his son.

I think the intent of the "equal rights" wording was to leave it to the King to decide which prince of the royal house should hold Stenhammar at times when there are multiple adult princes of the Royal House, but none hold the Dukedom of Södermanland, or the Duke of Södermanland has declined the lease. However, assuming that Alexander in adulthood will have a good relationship with his father, the likelihood that he will demand his father give up Stenhammar to him is probably very limited.

Only when he passes it will leave CP's line (assuming that Alexander and Gabriel's children won't be princes of Sweden) and another royal duke (most likely a son (or grandson) of Estelle if she has any) will take over.

If the queen or king on the throne at the time Alexander dies wishes for their daughter or granddaughter to take over Stenhammar, would the members of the National Property Board truly decide in the 22nd century on the interpretation that the estate is eligible to be leased to men only?

Would keeping the Dukedom of Södermanland and Stenhammar in Prince Carl Philip's family remain a feasible option if the future Queen Victoria, to limit the number of Princes and Princesses, decided not to request the government to give its consent to the marriages of her brother's sons and as a result their children were not royal? In terms of precedent, Stenhammar did not stay with Count Lennart Bernadotte after his father Prince Wilhelm's death.

Even if it would have been possible for Count Lennart Bernadotte to take over the lease of Stenhammar i don't he would have wanted it or had the time for it as he then already had taken over the Mainau and made it succesfull.

The King's forests at Stenhammar have been severely attacked by European spruce bark beetle.
Drought causes the pest insect to spread - causing major problems for forest owners.
The European spruce bark beetle is the insect that causes the greatest damage to our spruce forests, according to the Swedish Forest Agency. The extremely dry and hot summer last year led to record-breaking attacks mainly in southern Sweden - and major damage is expected this year as well.
The Forest Board therefore urges forest owners in affected areas to keep a close watch on their forests and to inventory the stock continuously to look for infestations.
- I follow the development with the European spruce bark beetle closely and get involved in the problem. Stenhammar's goods have been attacked. The most important thing now is to explore the distribution and report so that you get a complete picture of how serious the problem is. It is extremely time-consuming and costs money, but is the only way to overcome this, says King Carl Gustaf.
The king often says that Stenhammar's estate is the place where he feels most at home. He and Queen Silvia go there as often as they can, they spend many weekends there.
The Royal Stenhammar estate in Södermanland uses drones to survey the ravages of European spruce bark beetle in the forest.
Kungens skogar angripna av granbarkborre – berättar själv

Stenhammar Estate Management, Lida Gård and Flen Municipality present:

Welcome to a large food bazaar & integration party with Flen VärldsOrkester, Flen Unga VärldsOrkester & Silvertrion.
See you at the castle park at Stenhammar castle Sunday 1 September 2019 • Free entry • Parking SEK 50 (cash or Swish) • Come hungry! Flavors from all over the world are available at the large food bazaar. Keep in mind that cash or Swish may be needed.

Program:

13.00: The entrance opens
14.00: The King & Queen are on site and welcome the people
14.10: Flen Unga VärldsOrkester
15.00: Silvertrion
15.40: Flen VärldsOrkester
http://www.stenhammarsgods.se/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/IMG_9724.jpg
Musik & Mat — Stenhammars Godsförvaltning

The will of the last owner of Stenhammar authorizes the state to lease it for life to any prince belonging to the Royal House who has succession rights to the throne. A Duke of Södermanland, if he wishes to lease the property, takes priority over the other candidates.

Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen.

Finnes vid något utarrenderingstillfälle någon svensk undersåte varande, eventuell arvsrätt till tronen ägande, prins av det regerande konungahuset, som är hertig av Södermanland, så äger han företrädesrätt till arrendet, om han eller hans målsman så önskar.​

I believe the Court is following a literal reading of the Act of Succession, which says that "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]princes and princesses of the Royal House are brought up [...] within the Realm". Since Madeleine's children are no longer "princes and princesses of the Royal House", the literal interpretation is that the aforementioned requirement no longer applies to them.[/FONT]

[...]

If the Court is consistent in following a literal reading of "prince of the Royal House", Prince Alexander's ability to lease Stenhammar is in jeopardy, unless it can be contended that "konungahuset" is distinct from "kungahuset". I wonder if they have taken that into account.

For the record the castle is not the king's to bestow on anyone. The castle was donated to the State, when the previous owner died. The king simply leases the land from the state. Carl Philip or his son would have to request the lease from the state, when the king dies or gives up his lease on the property.

The castle will not remain in CP's line. It may be leased by him and his son, time will tell. But its ownership remains with the court.

Alexander's title dies with him. Swedish duchies are not inheritable. There may not be another Duke of Sodermanland for generations. That is why the will does not stipulate it can Only be leased by the duke of that title.

Alexander's children will simply be Mr or Miss Bernadotte. They will have no titles and no rights under the current stipulation. It could be argued the court could change that but not its not likely unless there are no possible heirs. It would be more likely court would change it to allow a Princess to lease instead.

We have no idea if Alexander will want it anyways. He will be a private citizen growing up. He may not want to be tied down to the home.

:previous:

As Mbruno pointed out, though, by all appearances the Court no longer considers Prince Alexander to be a "prince of the royal house". Since the testament stipulates that the lease should be conferred on a prince of the royal house, does Alexander still retain the right to take over the lease?

If the Court is consistent in following a literal reading of "prince of the Royal House", Prince Alexander's ability to lease Stenhammar is in jeopardy, unless it can be contended that "konungahuset" is distinct from "kungahuset". I wonder if they have taken that into account.
The wording of the will is a bit strange.
"Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen."

"After the death of my wife all parts of the estate and the buildings buildings belonging to it should be leased for life on the terms stated to a Swedish citizen who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House who has an eventual/possible/potential right of inheritance to the throne"

I've included all three translations of "eventuell" that I could think of. I wonder if there's an old meaning of it that I'm not familiar with. The word seems to imply that the holder of the lease doesn't have to hold inheritance rights to the throne. Prince Alexander does retain said rights but maybe this could open up for a different interpretation of the stipulations of the will?

"Finnes vid något utarrenderingstillfälle någon svensk undersåte varande, eventuell arvsrätt till tronen ägande, prins av det regerande konungahuset, som är hertig av Södermanland, så äger han företrädesrätt till arrendet, om han eller hans målsman så önskar."

"If at the time of the lease there is a prince of the ruling Royal House with an eventual/possible/potential right of inheritance to the throne who is Duke of Södermanland he holds the right of priority to the lease if he or his guardian so wishes."

This means, according to my interpretation, that Prince Carl Philip could have still been perfectly within his rights to hold the lease if Prince Alexander was either underaged or if he had decided to relinquish his right to his father.

"Konungahuset" is just an older and more formal version of "Kungahuset". It means the same and the form Konungen and Konungahuset is still used in very formal settings as for instance in the constitution and the military exclamation "Gud bevare Konungen!" (God save the King!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom