Ekolsund Castle, Enköping

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Ekolsund Castle

Ekolsund Castle is a former residence of the Swedish Royal Family.
King Gustav Vasa was the first royal to take ownership of the Castle in the 1500s.
Over the centuries since, the Castle has been sold and resold numerous times to and from the Royal Family. It is currently owned by a private firm.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Does any know where I can find info (pics, history, etc) about Ekolsund Palace near Stockholm. I have read somewhere that it was a royal summer residence of Gustav III of Sweden (late 18th century). Does the palace still exist? So yes, is it still in stately or royal hands? What happened with it since Gustav III.

Thx in advance

Ipflo

Here are a few more photos of Ekolsund from Corbis:

In reference to the photographs on posting #166 and 167 of Ekolsund Castle.....I can open the second set of photographs, but not the first. Can anyone help me with that? Also..... Does anyone know what happened to Ekolsund Castle since it has been out of the hands of the royal family? I have tried to find a website about it, but can find only Swedish pages, which I cannot read! Apparently it was up for auction a few years ago. My ancestor used to work there and I am interested in finding out more about it.

Marilyn said:
Does anyone know what happened to Ekolsund Castle since it has been out of the hands of the royal family? I have tried to find a website about it, but can find only Swedish pages, which I cannot read! Apparently it was up for auction a few years ago. My ancestor used to work there and I am interested in finding out more about it.
Ownership of Ekolsund:
In the 1500’s, the castle came into royal hands when King Gustav Vasa took over the ownership, but he passed it on to Åke Tott in 1618. Ekolsund once again came into the hands of the Crown during Karl XI’s reduction, and in 1716 it was appointed to Landgraf Fredrik of Hessen-Kassel (later Fredik I). In 1747 it was sold to Prince Adolf Fredrik on the account of the new heir Gustav (later Gustav III). In 1785, Ekolsund was sold from the hands of the Crown to George Seton, a man of Scotish heritage. In 1917 it was bought by Carl Kempe. In 2002, Ekolsund was bought by a private firm.

Thank you so much! Do you know where I could find photos of the castle or anything about the new owners? I am planning on visiting Sweden soon and would love to see the building.

Marilyn

Marilyn said:
Thank you so much! Do you know where I could find photos of the castle or anything about the new owners? I am planning on visiting Sweden soon and would love to see the building.
I would recommend you to try a picture search at Google and at Corbis, I'm sure you will be able to find some pics there. The official website of the company that now owns Ekolsund can be found here, and it looks like they will have an English version in the future (there's a link "In English, but it's not activated yet). I don't think the castle is open to the public yet.

Thank you for the information. I did find the site you mentioned, but didn't realize that perhaps it is too new to have the English version activated yet.
I hope I can see the house when I am visiting. It kind of looks like it is a park, or historic site that the public will be able to visit - like Williamsburg in the U.S.

Also, the Corbin site did open up the photos for me. Thanks, again!
Marilyn

When Carl Kempe bought the palace in 1917, it was quite empty, he managed to reinstate the nice apartemnts with antiques and funiture that could have been there during the royal era in the late 18-th centuary. Unfortunately the two sisters who owned it, and recently sold the palace, couldn´t come together, and that was the reason why it was sold. From what I´ve heard it was offered to the state with most of it´s contents, but they didn´t want to buy it. Then, unfortunately most of things were sold through the auction house Bukowskis in Stockholm.
Marilyn said:

Marilyn

Ekolsund Castle was the residence of Princess Sophia of Sweden from 1578 to 1611. She was the daughter of King Gustav I Vasa.

Back
Top Bottom