The Palacio of San Telmo in Seville has been bought by Prince Antoine of France, Duke of Montpensier and his wife infanta Luisa of Spain (sister of Queen Isabel II). The duke bought the palace in 1844 but was already built in 1682. The original function of the building was to house a seafearing school. The explains the origin of the name San Telmo, as he is the patron of sailors. The school could only occupy the building in 1734 because architect Antonio Matías needed that time to work on all the details. The palace is considered as the finest example of baroque architecture in Seville. Today, the local government of Andalusia uses the palace.
In 1897 the palace was donated the the archdiocese. The gardens were donated to the city of Seville by princess Maria Luisa, which explains the name of the parc: parque de Maria Luisa.