Royal Seat of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Madrid

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agm

Courtier
City
A Coruña
Country
Spain
The Palace of El Escorial, Madrid

(photos from Corbis)

Last edited:
Royal Seat of San Lorenzo de el Escorial, (Madrid)

The Palace is a a World Heritage Site it was the political centre of the empire of King Philip II.

The Pantheon of the Kings contains the remains of monarchs and of queens who were mothers of monarchs, from the Emperor Charles V to modern times.

More information Here :
http://www.patrimonionacional.es/en/escorial/escorial.htm

Photos: By Wiki
ImageShack - Hosting :: 800pxelescorialdistantvkg8.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 800pxelescorialmadrid2dxi5.jpg

El Escorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just reading about the burial place of the Kings of Spain and noticed that there is no more space in the Pantheon of the Kings for current members to be buried. Has there been any indication of where the new site will be?

Also I am curious about a picture depicting the "Chamber of Infants". Can anybody explain what this is?

The Chamber of Infants is the same of Pantheon of the Kings;
Most of the Infantes and Infantas of Spain are burried in the Chamber of Infants. Also it is destinated to Queens of Spain that weren't mothers of Kings.

The Pantheon was built in times of Queen Isabel II, it is composed of 9 chambers with a total of 60 niches (tombs), currently just 36 tombs are engaged .The picture you refer is a beautiful mausoleum located in the 6 chamber.

Here you are some practical info:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fes.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCripta_Real_del_Monasterio_de_El_Escorial%23Pante.C3.B3n_de_Infantes

Last edited:
El Escorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I am curious about a picture depicting the "Chamber of Infants". Can anybody explain what this is?

I realise how long it's been since the original poster asked the question, I think is still a good question to answer at any time.

The "Chamber of Infants" or "Panteon de los Infantes" is the final burial place for princes, princess, infantes/as, and queens "no mother of kings" of Spain.

The following picture is what's known by "el pastel de los infantes" - the infantes' childrens' cake.

El Escorial (Madrid)-16-Panteones de infantes-Sepulcro de infantes niños | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
A few more photos. They are all public.

16gzfp1.jpg

x44zyv.jpg

110ge85.jpg

I wonder if the King & Queen will be interred at the El Escorial as I believe the Pantheon of the Kings is now full.

Maybe the King has chosen another burial site?

As far as I know, JC and Sofia will not be buried at El Escorial. The Pantheon of the Kings is finished (JC parents are still waiting to join, I think it takes a few decades before their remains will go into the Pantheon, they are still at another room). I dont know if there are any plans or information what the current kings have chosen for themselves. I could imagine that they wont be buried together, eg Sofia going back to Greece. Who knows.

They probably will be buried in El Escorial... there are several possibilities how to build a new underground pantheon, move the remains of Carlos I and Felipe II to the altar under their statues or use other spaces in the basilica.

They have also the option to be buried in the chapel of other Royal Palace.

The press has said that king Juan Carlos does not like the subject of death ... so probably there are plans but will not be public until the time comes.

There's also the possibility of the Cathedral of Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena of Madrid.Queen Maria de las Mercedes de Orleans was reburied there in 2000.The queen remains were initially buried at El Escorial but her wish was to be buried at Madrid's Cathedral.

I'm not sure if anyone is buried at the Capilla Real de Madrid.

I'm not sure if anyone is buried at the Capilla Real de Madrid.
Do you mean the Royal Palace´s chapel? I don´t think anybody is buried there.

I´ve heard about the Almudena´s option, but I´m not sure about how true it is.

As far as I remember, there was a project for an enlargement of the Royal Pantheon at El Escorial, but it wasn´t approved.

Do you mean the Royal Palace´s chapel? I don´t think anybody is buried there.

I´ve heard about the Almudena´s option, but I´m not sure about how true it is.

As far as I remember, there was a project for an enlargement of the Royal Pantheon at El Escorial, but it wasn´t approved.

Could the not use an room in the Pantheon of the Infantes at the Escorial. In one room of it are many of the Queens buried who where not the mother of a King and could therefore not buried at the Pantheon of the Kings.

Could the not use an room in the Pantheon of the Infantes at the Escorial. In one room of it are many of the Queens buried who where not the mother of a King and could therefore not buried at the Pantheon of the Kings.
I think the Pantheon of Infantes is not filled yet. But it would be odd since JC and Sofia are King and Queen...

As per the tradition,the bodies of the deceased member of the Royal Family must first be placed in the Pudridero Real chamber for 25 years before it is re-interred in either the Panteón de los Reyes or the Panteón de Infantes.

I think the Pantheon of Infantes is not filled yet. But it would be odd since JC and Sofia are King and Queen...

I believe there are nearly 25 empty niches in the Panteón de Infantes and currently there are 100 burials there,the last one was Isabel de Borbón,
Condesa Zamoyska in 1985.

Photo from Wikipedia

Camara_infantes_San_Lorenzo_de_El_Escorial.jpg

I believe there are nearly 25 empty niches in the Panteón de Infantes and currently there are 100 burials there,the last one was Isabel de Borbón,
Condesa Zamoyska in 1985.

Photo from Wikipedia

Camara_infantes_San_Lorenzo_de_El_Escorial.jpg
I was told once that this burial place is called "the cake"...

Its absolutely stunning,its on my list of places to see!!

The splendid wooden door leading to the Throne Room dates back to 1567.
The door features geometrical and architectural motifs created through a combination of various types of wood.

Scholars consulting the books that were kept in the Library of El Escorial used a smaller reading room maintained by the Augustinian Fathers. :books::books:

El Escorial is truly a great palace.

King Philip II took the inspiration of the layout of El Escorial from the temple built in Jerusalem by King Solomon as described in the Bible. To make the point clear beyond doubt, Philip adorned the west front with six statues of Old Testament Kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just visited the El Escorial today and it's beautiful.

I asked a guard if all places were filled where would other kings and queens be buried, and she said they aren't like us, special places can be created!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Probably Juan Carlos and Sofia have decided where to stay. I believe it will be in El Escorial and you will have found a solution.

Is it a possibility that Queen Sophia has requested to be buried in Greece?

From La Razón: Felipe VI promotes the enlargement of the Pantheon of Kings

Felipe VI impulsa la ampliación del panteón de Reyes
Translation

Apparently,Patrimonio Nacional (the institution that takes care of the Crown's monuments), commisioned 10 years ago a group of experts to make a project of enlargement for the actual cript.

They came to the solution of building a new room, with same size and characteristics as the original one, united to the first one through a gallery.

The project has yet to be approved but according to La Razon it will be in the next months.

That will be an interesting project,I wonder why it was never approved during the reign of King Juan Carlos?

That will be an interesting project,I wonder why it was never approved during the reign of King Juan Carlos?

It was requested 10 years ago and it took a long time to decide, undoubteldy the deep economic crisis did not help to attach some urgence to these costs.

It is said King Juan Carlos never approved the project because he didn't like to think about his death. According to those sources King Felipe will give his approval in the next few months and the planning can start in earnest.

Will King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia go to El Escorial? Or go to another location? There's room in the El Escorial for more people?

Will King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia go to El Escorial? Or go to another location? There's room in the El Escorial for more people?

There was talk about enlarging the royal vaults at the Royal Pantheon at El Escorial some years ago but I guess due to the economic crisis it has been out on hold.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia could be buried at Madrid's Cathedral Santa María la Real de La Almudena,Alfonso XII's 1st wife María de las Mercedes is buried there.

320px-Madrid._Catedral_de_la_Almudena_4.JPG

I have been searching and I have found a story this September about the place where the Emeritus Kings could be buried. According to this news the place may already be chosen but it is not known if it will be in El Escorial. King Juan Carlos does not like to talk about it.

https://www.elespanol.com/reportaje...a-tumba-destino-final-franco/334467647_0.html

With all the tombs occupied, when the emeritus Juan Carlos and Sofía die, they will have no place in the Crypt of the Kings of El Escorial. Apparently, in National Heritage they are already looking for a solution to this problem. Some time ago, on the table of the director of National Heritage were the plans for the proposal of a work to expand the space, building a crypt with the same characteristics that adjoins the original. But nothing is known about this project, or if it is going to start.

"With the streak he has and the years he already has, I'm sure everything is tied and well tied, but nobody here says anything and another very different thing is that he is not clear," says a Zarzuela worker to this newspaper . "I think he does, but there is no need to go public." There was a time, when he had such a bad time with the issue of the nodule in his lung that was removed in Barcelona, ​​that there was talk that he could be buried in the Cathedral of La Almudena, which he would have commented on, but it is a topic that the boss does not like to talk about, he still feels young ".

Back
Top Bottom