Royal Palace of Riofrío

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
History:
This estate was owned by the Marquis of walls and began to be rented by Felipe V and his second wife Isabel de Farnesio as hunting. The monarch died in 1746 the widow Queen decided to buy it and build a Palace here by different motives, from the desire to have a domain which was absolute lady once separated from the Court, to the intention of providing his young son, don Luis, an own country residence.

He advised in this matter the Queen his Secretary Marquis Annibale Scotti who, a fan of architecture and little satisfied with Sachetti project for the Royal Palace of Madrid, influenced to create here a corrected and somewhat reduced version of him. The architect was Vigilio Rabaglio, influenced no doubt by the highlights of Bonavia and, of course, by Scotti. Works, begun in 1751, were completed in 1762, but access by Carlos III to the throne of Spain made his mother, Isabel de Farnesio, to return to represent a prominent role in the Court and not more attention paid to this site nor reaching never inhabit. It was incorporated into the heritage of the Crown by Carlos III following the death of the widow Queen in 1766.

Therefore the only Palace served as a hunting lodge in the 18th and 19th century and only resided in the real people for short periods in the second half of the 19th, especially the King consort don Francis of Assisi and Alfonso XII when he widowed, corresponding to these times, interior decoration and furniture.

More information and photos at this link:
Palácio Real de Riofrío - Monarquia Espanhola

Thanks, I never even heard of this palace. It seems that it opened to the public in 1965. What happened between the death of Alphonso XII and 1965 with the building seems to be unclear.

National Heritage reopens the Royal Palace of Riofrio once finalized the works of improvement and reorganization of funds, that have managed to recover the decoration and the use they had in the nineteenth century. Among other performances, the number of pieces with more than 500 works of art - from painting, furniture, textiles and decorative arts - from the 17th to 19th centuries, from other Royal Sites, that have allowed to restore the historical reading of the Palace

Finalizada la mejora y reordenación de fondos del Palacio Real de Riofrío | Patrimonio Nacional

Gosh i wouldn't like to wake up feeling under the weather in that bedroom. Too fussy for me even though I love 19 th century style mostly.

The bedroom wallpaper is indeed fancy. Some people may not like a bed that includes a canopy.

Gosh i wouldn't like to wake up feeling under the weather in that bedroom. Too fussy for me even though I love 19 th century style mostly.

The room DOES look stifling and like a prison; mind you, it's not lived in so that may be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom