Royal Palace of Madrid & Sabatini Gardens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sabatini Gardens

The Sabatini Gardens are part of the Madrid Royal Palace. The Gardens were opened to the public by King Juan Carlos in 1978. They were built in 1933, in the exact location of the royal stables which were designed by Sabatini.

The Gardens are free acces to the public, every days.

Photos_:
ImageShack - Hosting :: 425x31930cc82ci8.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 6madridclipimage0010000no6.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 87226122m28baezx323f41qv5.jpg
http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=17878044e180e8bbfbo330fvv3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 13932476504f7a06ccca350cg5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 065jardinesdesabatini35oo0.jpg

Last edited:
How come the SRF does not reside in the Palacio Real. I know they prefer a much smaller place but one a little bit bigger and grand should be the residence of the monarch. Is the SRF the only RF who's been residing in a smaller palace/castle?

Also the Belgian and the Swedish Royal Families don't live in the Royal Palaces of Bruxelles and Stockholm respectively.

Also the Belgian and the Swedish Royal Families don't live in the Royal Palaces of Bruxelles and Stockholm respectively.

Yes, but they do live in grand palaces like the Swedish royal family. They live in Drottningholm Palace and it is very huge and grand. If I'm not mistaken the Belgian RF lives in a huge castle too. What's the name?:)

Only Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde live in the "big" castle in Laeken; King Albert and Queen Paola live in a small palace in Laeken Park, the Chateau de Belvedere, where they are living since their marriage. Queen Fabiola lives in the Chateau de Stuyvenberg, also a small palace in Laeken park, while Prince Lorenz and Princess Astrid live in a villa in Laeken park as well.

Is it just me or is this carpet on a staircase in the royal palace the same used at Infanta Cristina's wedding?
http://cdn.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172319&d=1122127637
http://cdn.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65752&d=1103000205

I wonder if they just took it off the stairs or made a copy of it? hmm :)

Interesting.
It does look the same. It might be extra carpet they had an kept or it could be from the staircase but I would think it would be too long and them not wanting to cut it.

Interesting.
It does look the same. It might be extra carpet they had an kept or it could be from the staircase but I would think it would be too long and them not wanting to cut it.

At least I know I'm not the only one who saw the resemblance ;) I guess we'll never know where the carpet really came from to bad :(

It was their own decision not to live there, they prefered Zarzuela Palace. Royal Palace of Madrid is massive, the photographs don't make justice, the place is really overwhelming. They only used it for state ceremonies, official receptions ... It's the biggest Royal Palace of Europe, I understand why the royals doesn't want to live there.

But for me, the most beautiful Royal Palaces of Spain is "La Granja de Sal Ildefonso" and Royal Palace of Aranjuez, and Royal Palace of Madrid of course.

It was their own decision not to live there, they prefered Zarzuela Palace. Royal Palace of Madrid is massive, the photographs don't make justice, the place is really overwhelming. They only used it for state ceremonies, official receptions ... It's the biggest Royal Palace of Europe, I understand why the royals doesn't want to live there.

But for me, the most beautiful Royal Palaces of Spain is "La Granja de Sal Ildefonso" and Royal Palace of Aranjuez, and Royal Palace of Madrid of course.

The Palacio Real de La Granja is also one of my favourites

567px-La_Granja_Palacio.jpg

Last edited:
The Royal Palace of Madrid will host an exhibition called "From El Bosque to Tiziano. Art and marvel at the Escorial". The exhibition will start in September this year (2013) and will end in January 2014:

Google Translate

:previous: Thanks for the link An Ard Ri. It does sound like a very interesting exhibition!

The Royal Palace of Madrid has a new room open to visitors. The Lounge Maria Cristina now called Crown Room. The Crown and royal scepter are exhibited to the public for the first time. Also found in the room: the original throne of King Carlos III, the Golden Fleece, the table of sphinxes, document abdication of King Juan Carlos I and the first speech of King Felipe VI.

Apertura de la Sala de la Corona en el Palacio Real de Madrid | Patrimonio Nacional

The Palace of Versailles has a Hall of Mirrors. However it is not the only palace which has this. The Royal Palace of Madrid also has a Hall of Mirrors. King Charles IV was responsible for the Spanish Hall of Mirrors.
It was informative to learn that the Royal Palace was inspired by sketches made by Bernini for the construction of the Louvre in Paris.

Splendid Sabatini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuDr76X0qU

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Palace of Madrid has a new room open to visitors. The Lounge Maria Cristina now called Crown Room. The Crown and royal scepter are exhibited to the public for the first time. Also found in the room: the original throne of King Carlos III, the Golden Fleece, the table of sphinxes, document abdication of King Juan Carlos I and the first speech of King Felipe VI.

Apertura de la Sala de la Corona en el Palacio Real de Madrid | Patrimonio Nacional

I just saw these, this weekend.
The palace is lovely, though the crown rather plain looking

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Looks like a highly interesting exhibition on King Carlos III :previous:

Thanks Eya,very interesting and I also noticed that the dinner service plates have the royal monogram of Juan Carlos/Sofia,wonder if we will see Felipe/Letizia one in the future?

http://www.abc.es/media/MM/2017/02/25/mesa-cubiertos%209-khKC--921x900@abc.jpg

The cutlery is from Alfonso XII reign (except for the fish cutlery, it wasn't used then and it was purchased for his son's Alfonso XIII wedding). The dinner service and the glassware were renovated during Juan Carlos reign, the only thing that has been bought during the still short reign of Felipe VI are the tablecloths :p

The cutlery is from Alfonso XII reign (except for the fish cutlery, it wasn't used then and it was purchased for his son's Alfonso XIII wedding). The dinner service and the glassware were renovated during Juan Carlos reign, the only thing that has been bought during the still short reign of Felipe VI are the tablecloths :p

Its nothing short of a miracle that the silver cutlery service from Alfonso XII/III survived the turmoil that ensued following the exile of the SRF!

Back
Top Bottom