The Royal Palace, Amsterdam

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kneuterdijk and Soestdijk palace had an orthodox chapel for Queen Anna Pavlovna. Also her later residence of Rustenburg in the Hague had one (demolished, and replaced by the Peace Palace.

Het Loo has a protestant chapel : https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/umbra...=470&height=339&crop=resize&class=local&name=

In The Hague the stadholders (and before them the counts of Holland) used a chapel on the inner court, which was demolished in 1879. The Walloon calvinist congregation already relocated to a new building that was donated by king Louis Napoleon.

The sand stone of the palace has been damaged by men urinating against it. The palace is located in a busy area of Amsterdam and esp. the arcades is a likely spot for drunk British tourists to urinate.

The government building service has started some measures. They placed some ugly fences in front of the arcades. But those will be removed, and other measures will be taken. People caught urinating have to pay a fine of 140 euros. They will also install light censors. If that doesn't work they will make a 'urilift' close to the palace: an urinoir that disappears in the ground during the day and that comes up at night. If that doesn't work they will place screens between the arcades, a pop-up fence (only active at night) etc. The last resort is a permanent small fence.

Paleis Amsterdam geplaagd door wildplassers - Royalty Online

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Nederla...ghts-tegen-wildplassen-paleis-op-de-Dam.dhtml

Last edited:
A permanent fence or railings might be the only solution,I was appalled to see men urinating at night time at the Palace and Nieuwe Kerk last November.

The sand stone of the palace has been damaged by men urinating against it. The palace is located in a busy area of Amsterdam and esp. the arcades is a likely spot for drunk British tourists to urinate.

The government building service has started some measures. They placed some ugly fences in front of the arcades. But those will be removed, and other measures will be taken. People caught urinating have to pay a fine of 140 euros. They will also install light censors. If that doesn't work they will make a 'urilift' close to the palace: an urinoir that disappears in the ground during the day and that comes up at night. If that doesn't work they will place screens between the arcades, a pop-up fence (only active at night) etc. The last resort is a permanent small fence.

Wildplassers worden te kijk gezet bij paleis op de Dam - AD.nl

Do drunk people from other nationalities urinate against the palace or is it something specifically confined to British tourists?
Either way, it is rather vulgar to find oneself in need of a lavatory late at night and then proceed to relieve oneself - especially against a Royal Palace.

If people/press here describe the problems in the center, many quickly refer to 'Drunken Brits' to sum it up, though I am sure other groups also cause problems. The reputation of British tourists in Amsterdam is: very drunk, causing brawls, puking on the street, urinating on the street, screaming and small vandalism. I am sure that residents of the Spanish Costa's will have a similar idea about the Dutch btw.

The explosion of air travel causes problems for many cities in Europe. Venice has become practically an open air museum and other cities, like Amsterdam are moving more and more in that direction. Barely a week goes by without a letter of complaint or an article in the Amsterdam newspaper of the negative effects of this increase. For many locals it has become a problem. I used to live opposite the Anne Frank house for 7 years and thankfully moved to another area: the sheer number of people on the street and esp. people partying on boats in the canals became were starting to get on my nerves. The city hall seems to do little as tourism is an important source of income for the city.

In the case of Amsterdam an additional problem is that it is a popular spot for hen/ stag parties. Esp. with young Dutch provincials and with young British (there are many cheap flights between the UK and Schiphol Airport). These groups mainly come to get drunk and cause most of the problems as they seem to think that all is allowed here. The palace is located in the old heart of the city, close to the central station, between two of the most popular shopping street and linking the trashy red-light district, popular with young tourists / provincials and the Leidse- and Rembrandts square, two other touristy areas to go out. So the drunkards often pass the palace when going from one area to another.

Of these young tourists, the British ones form the largest problem by far, as a survey from a few years ago (2009?) showed. Of course they make up 20% of all tourists thus forming the largest group. It is usually easy to spot them, the girls: tons of make-up, fake hair and very revealing outfits, even in winter; the boys in Geordie-shore outfits & hair cuts too, usually loud and drunk. Note that I am sure that most (British) tourists do know how to behave & actually visit the several museums of the city. And on the bight side: the Brits are usually cheerful and pleasant, so that makes up for it I suppose. According to the British embassy at the time, the problems with British tourists were taken out of proportion by the Dutch press. The city counsel did little apart from hoping that these young Brits would soon prefer to go to Prague as the alcohol is cheaper there, though they started a program to make some areas a bit more up-market (closing down parts of the red light district for example). But anything here takes ages so the effects have not materialized yet.

----

Why they didn't do anything about this earlier is a mystery, it has been going on for years/ decades.

Last edited:

Wildplassers worden te kijk gezet bij paleis op de Dam - AD.nl

I do hope they think of censors providing the the ultimate in keeping from using the palace as a public toilet...An electric shock of sorts will no doubt be a blast!!And a deserved one.

As you say,the increase of cheap flights and the subsequent influx of tourists...mostly the young crowd...from all over Europe but espcially GB& Italy...It becomes more and more like Barcelona...There the locals complained and had impromptu demonstrations at places with lots of noise and disruptions caused by the young infidels so Barcelona took measures to keep the neighbourhoods quiet....Sad,but a nessecity!We will have to do something here to

Last edited:
Well, I am ashamed of it I really am. I knew Amsterdam was popular amongst young British people for parties etc. It would be a shame to enclose Dam Palace with rulings or gates etc because it is such a beautiful building at night, and there is something quite awe inspiring about being able to get up close to it.
I took a canal boat around Amsterdam to the Rijksmuseum on my last visit and also had coffee at the cafe next to Anne Franks House. I always go to the flag shop near-ish to the flower market to buy an interesting flag each time too. I avoid taking maps and dressing in a British way too so as to blend in.
So at least one British tourist here remains respectable!

The area around the Palace especially at night time is very picturesque especially when all the church bells start clanging together.Its a shame that certain elements have such lack of respect when visiting .

What a difference the beautiful floral display makes to both the Palace and wider Dam Square.

Whilst the interior of the palace is splendid,the facade is rather tired and austere looking,the injection of those beautiful tulips infront of the palace makes it look much more picturesque.

Well, the Palace is situated in the middle of the city. There is a lot of airpolution, which sets "wonderfully" on the sandstone. It was cleaned several years ago, but it is back to its "old" colour again.

Actually the palace has recently been restored for a staggering amount of Euro's, both the interior and the exterior.

For an example, let us take the tympanum facing Dam Square (which is actually the back side of the building...)

Before the restoration and after the restoration....

All windows (and there are LOTS) have been brought back in original 17th C style which means: brown and not at all white, from later periods. The brown windows bring more uniformity in the façades of the palace.

Before the restoration (note the green plant...) and after the restoration....

The technical installations, the heating system, the climate system, the security system, the kitchens, the elevators, really everything has been modernized. Asbestos from earlier renovations in the 1960's has been removed. New opinions about the interior has made that the palace looks more like a palace indeed and less as the cold 17th C city hall it originally was. One of the kitchens: http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/de...paleis_op_de_dam_1_55903!image/3667837875.jpg

The Moses- and Aaron Chamber before the restoration: http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=urn:gvn:ANP01:13853486&role=image&size=variable and after the restoration

The Aldermens' Chamber before the restoration and after the restoration: new wallhangings, the chandeliers have returned and the same paintings have returned but higher in the room.

The Council Chamber before the restoration and after the restoration. The massive silver chandelier was found on the attick, in bits and pieces.

The old floor carpet and the very bright lighting scheme before the restorationL http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/240936 and the new floor carpet and so much more sophisticated lighting scheme after the restoration: http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/umbrac...idth=&height=400&crop=resize&class=local&name=

:flowers:

Last edited:
Oh I know about the restoration. I was refering to the cleaning of the facade several years ago.

It is funny that you should mention that, I passed the palace last week and noticed that it looked particulary gloomy again. I understand the decision not to clean it the French way, but well... the end result is that the building is still grey and dark, esp. on a rainy day.

It is funny that you should mention that, I passed the palace last week and noticed that it looked particulary gloomy again. I understand the decision not to clean it the French way, but well... the end result is that the building is still grey and dark, esp. on a rainy day.

That is true, but it depends very much on the weather, I must say. On a bright summer day the palace looks splendid (like the rest of Amsterdam's inner city, which is very depending on the weather conditions in my humble opinion).

The French way is really too drastic. A few weeks ago I was in Arles, where the restoration of the famous Roman arena is almost finished. Really, the restored part looks like it was constructed yesterday and I think that is no 'restoration' anymore...

Here a picture of the first segment, this was the situation 10 years ago, the first part with a new "skin" with new stones. Now almost the whole arena is that sparkling new and white. The grey and crumbling, still un-restored parts, show the real Roman arena. The Dutch would never do it thát drastic as the French, I think.

Another example is the Maison Carrée in Nîmes. 10 years ago it was a grey and crumbling building. Now this Roman building looks it was build yesterday....

Before the restoration: http://www.photos-galeries.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/fronton_maison_carree
After the restoration: https://arrangementsabroad.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/nimes-maison-carre-merle-ja-joonas.jpg

When you stand before the Royal Palace Amsterdam, little is to be seen. When you see "before and after" pics, then you can see that crumling stones have been replaced, that sculptures have been visibly cleaned, that parts where water entered the inside (even with green plants and grass and mould) were removed, etc. But indeed, it is not that spectacular as a "French restoration".

Last edited:
The Orange-Nassaus really have an unbelievable amount of gold-, silver and crystalware to pop out the eyes of visitors for dinner.

In this Christmas period at Het Loo Palace many tables are fabulously bedecked for the public (like this one in Willem & Mary's Dining Chamber). Still there is plenty to lay tables too at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam... There some tables are bedecked with gold- and silverware from the Orange-Nassaus not exposed before:

Gold filigrain tableware

Detail of the amazing craftmanship

Silverware from Princess Juliana and Prince Bernhard (1937)

Silver- and crystalware from Queen Wilhelmina

A J and a B perhaps? Juliana and Bernhard?

Thanks I'd prefer to see the thrones in the Palace but thats just me!

Me too, but we have to count our blessings with the present state of the palace. 10 years ago it was still half empty as the renovators of the 60-ties preferred the interior of the building to look like it did in the Golden Age, with a few Napoleontic chairs in the main halls. Not very functional for a palace as you can imagine. All the gorgeous chandeliers and other furniture were moved to the attic, where it stayed for half a century.

The recent renovation moved these pieces from the attic back into the palace again and added furniture and artwork from Soestdijk. It looks more like a palace now & everything is spic & span but it is very clear nobody lives there. It is functional but has no warmth at all and all the small details that only an owner can add are missing. It is a mix of a conference center, hotel and museum.

Last edited:
"Did you know that on special occasions, such as a state banquet, there is a carpet of the northern starry sky with the comet Hale-Bopp in the Burgerzaal of the Royal Palace Amsterdam? The carpet was put into use in 1998 and is six hundred square meters in size."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6z5w7MHKFH/

Back
Top Bottom