Princessehof (Princess' Court), Leeuwarden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The princessehof in Leeuwarden was built as a city mansion in 1693 for the Aylva family. The house was sold to Marie-Louise of Hessen-Kassel in 1713. Marie-Louise is the mother of Stadholder Willem IV and widow of Johan-Willem-Friso, stadholder of Frisia, Groningen and Drenthe.

Marie-Louise collected a lot of ceramics and at the moment the museum has a big collection of those. Here the website of the museum: Keramiekmuseum Princessehof

---
An old image of the princessehof, free of copyrights:

Het_Oude_Princessehof.jpg

Some pictures I made myself this summer, not too good but the street was narrow and the sun was already low:

DSC00121.jpg

I think this also belonged to it:

DSC00125.jpg

And the stables:

DSC00122.jpg

with the coat-of-arms of Frisia and the stadholder above the gate:

DSC00123.jpg

Who is the current owner of this palace?

The Princessehof (three mansions combined together to form a small city palais, see picture) only served as residence to Marie Luise of Nassau, Princess of Orange born Princess of Hessen-Kassel.

Since 1917 it is in use as a museum. Because of this connotation, the building remains known as "the Princess' Court".

The residence of the Oranges in Frisia/Friesland was the Stadtholderly Court in the same city as the Prinsessehof ( picture). These modest buildings make clear that the importance was somewhere else (The Hague, Amsterdam).

In the 1970's Queen Juliana sold the Stadtholderly Court. It had no use anymore. These days the former palais is in use as a hotel.

Back
Top Bottom