Palace Lange Voorhout, The Hague

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxPatrickxx

Nobility
City
Rotterdam
Country
Netherlands
Palace Lange voorhout, Old Office of Queen Juliana

Attachments

• 248574981MLKexj_ph.jpg
    248574981MLKexj_ph.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 515
From ANP, the city palace Lange Voorhout:

944730.jpg
1336222.jpg

It was used for prinsjesdag in Juliana's days, when Noordeinde was not used by the RF:

2106836.jpg
1208402.jpg

The Creme Caleche in front of the palace:

1846999.jpg

Last edited:
Former palace Lange Voorhout (now the Escher Museum) in The Hague. Originally built as a city mansion for the deputy of Friesland in the Counsil of State, but from 1841-1983 a royal palace.

lv3.jpg

lv2.jpg

lv1.jpg

pictures by Chris Schram

Here a drawing of the palace in the time that Prince Hendrik and Princess Marie (nee Pss of Prussia) lived there. From the Alexanderforum, poisted by Thijs:

lv9reshenrymarie.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I was not familiar with these palaces, it's nice to see other buildings besides the more photographed ones. The books I have seem to stay in the historically popular structures.

Now the interior of (former) Palace Lange Voorhout in The Hague. Again all posted by Thijs on the Alexanderpalace forum.

Vestibule:

lv1vestibule.jpg

Sitting room:

lv2sittingroom.jpg

The main staircase. The uppe painting was identified as a Waldeck-Pyrmont anscestor of Queen Emma and the lower portrait is Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia (mother of Queen Anna). The last paining was replaced to palace Noordeinde.

lv41efurstwpladymariafnownoord.jpg

Another room in Lange Voorhout. On the paining right a young king Willem III and his brother Alexander.

lv3w3enalex.jpg

More of Lange Voorhout, again as posted by Thijs on the Alexanderpalace forum.

The ballroom around 1980:

lv7ballroom1980.jpg

Dressingroom of Queen Emma:

lv5dressingroom.jpg

Drawing room of Queen Emma with on the background portraits of her parents and sisters (and maybe her brother as well). The portraits were inherited by her cousin Fuerst Josias of Waldeck-Pyrmont.

lv6drawingroom.jpg

Better view of the portraits:

lv8.jpg

That's one Dutch Residence that I had totally forgotten about,from the outside it looks very stately!

What a lovely house.
Is it still in use today?

It was built originally for a Frisian deputy to the estates general. Much later king Willem II bought it. The palace passed to prince Hendrik (uncle of Q. Wilhelmina) and later to Queen Emma. Juliana sold it in 1991 to the state. Since 2004 it is the location of the Esscher Museum.

It was built originally for a Frisian deputy to the estates general. Much later king Willem II bought it. The palace passed to prince Hendrik (uncle of Q. Wilhelmina) and later to Queen Emma. Juliana sold it in 1991 to the state. Since 2004 it is the location of the Esscher Museum.

Unfortunately yes...Juliana used it as her office during her Reign,would have done nicely these days as a Palace.... It is beautifull!!

Queen Juliana was the first queen to start the riding tour of the Golden Carriage from Lange Voorhout Palace at the opening of the States General on Prince's Day. :coach:

Apparently the house next to the palace -on the Lange Voorhout 79- also belonged to the Royal Family.

I read nothing in the press about the building, but apparently it was sold by princess Beatrix to a private firm for 3 million Euro's in March 2017.

Prince Constantijn and his family temporarily lived in the palace according to the vastgoed journaal. Between 1998 and 2015 it was the residence of the grand master of the court. Before that it housed 'stateless refugees', among them Russians who fled after the revolution of 1917 -hence the name. When the palace next door was still in use, it housed the staff of Queen Emma.

800px-Lange_Voorhout_79_Russenhuis.JPG

Image free of copyrights, from Wikipedia.

https://vastgoedjournaal.nl/news/31...monumentaal-russenhuis-voor-ruim-drie-miljoen

Last edited:
Apparently the house next to the palace -on the Lange Voorhout 79- also belonged to the Royal Family.

I read nothing in the press about the building, but apparently it was sold by princess Beatrix to a private firm for 3 million Euro's in March 2017.

Prince Constantijn and his family temporarily lived in the palace according to the vastgoed journaal. Between 1998 and 2015 it was the residence of the grand master of the court. Before that it housed 'stateless refugees', among them Russians who fled after the revolution of 1917 -hence the name. When the palace next door was still in use, it housed the staff of Queen Emma.

800px-Lange_Voorhout_79_Russenhuis.JPG

Image free of copyrights, from Wikipedia.

https://vastgoedjournaal.nl/news/31...monumentaal-russenhuis-voor-ruim-drie-miljoen

How very interesting that Princess Beatrix is mentioned in the article as responsible for the sale...Has she taken on the stewardship of the Dutch royal family's famously large (and murky:ohmy:) fortune? Her grandson Prince Bernhard jr is also in the news as a real estate magnate, owning several million euros worth of houses in Amsterdam:whistling: Such fascinating questions to ponder...?

It seems a bit odd to me that Beatrix would sell this house after being given a taxpayer funded townhouse a few streets away. Anyway, nice building and didn't realise the main palace was being used by the RF so relatively recently

The city mansion Noordeinde 66 (picture) is an annex of the Noordeinde palace complex, including security, access to facilitary services, the Royal Mews, etc. I think it was more practical to use Noordeinde 66, which has representative salons to serve as a pied à terre for Princess Beatrix.

It is strange that Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien bought a much simpler house while this pretty big monumental house at the beautiful Lange Voorhout was available and already owned by his mother.

Their new house looks nice and homely but not what I would associate with a brother of the King: https://cdn2-img.pressreader.com/pr...?regionKey=VaSQfXwRsVQQr9j8tghThg==&scale=100

Last edited:
Lange Voorhout 78 -also known as the 'Russenhuis'- is for rent, for a sum of 12.000 Euros a month.

The building was originally used by the staff of Lange Voorhout palace. It was sold in 2015 by Queen Beatrix.

Photos:

https://www.funda.nl/huur/den-haag/huis-42581826-lange-voorhout-78/

The house was acquired by Prince Hendrik -son of King Willem II- in 1871. After hios death it went to his sister Grand Duchess Sophie of Weimar. Queen Emma bought this house and the palace from the heirs of the Grand Duchess.

Last edited:
Lange Voorhout 78 -also known as the 'Russenhuis'- is for rent, for a sum of 12.000 Euros a month.

The building was originally used by the staff of Lange Voorhout palace. It was sold in 2015 by Queen Beatrix.

Photos:

https://www.funda.nl/huur/den-haag/huis-42581826-lange-voorhout-78/

The house was acquired by Prince Hendrik -son of King Willem II- in 1871. After hios death it went to his sister Grand Duchess Sophie of Weimar. Queen Emma bought this house and the palace from the heirs of the Grand Duchess.

Shall we split?You two take the upper floors and we´ll take all other spaces...

So to see it was always meant to house servants or offices or just as a pied à terre. It is a very simple building.

So to see it was always meant to house servants or offices or just as a pied à terre. It is a very simple building.
Most don´t live that simple.You will have the basement next to the winecellar...and serve us..

I had forgotten that Prince Constantijn and family used to reside there.

I didn't know that Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien had lived in this palace.

Back
Top Bottom