On occasion of the re-opening of the renovated buildings of the Council of State,the Royal House web has an on-line exhibition of Kneuterdijk Palace,part of the buildings housing the Council of State.
The Palace was ao as the residence of The Prince and Princess of Orange who later became King Willem II and Queen Anna Pavlovna.The King also used it as hid office and added gothis structures to it,much en vogue at the time.
It was also at this Palace that King Willem II signed the Constitution of 1848,drawn by Thorbecke,meaning the end of the Absolute Monarchie and the start of the Constitutional Monarchy we have to this day.A plaque on the side of the Palace reminds of this Act in which the King supposedly changed from an Absolute Monarch into a Liberal overnight.The year 1848 was a year of revolutions in Europe,HM was persuaded to do the best he could do at the time,sign the Constitution.
Link to the online exhibition "virtuele tentoonstelling" of Kneuterdijk Palace.
Het Koninklijk Huis