The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why are they moving? Is it like The Queen going back to BP after Christmas?
Did you mean going back to Buckingham palace after the renovation in 2025? Or going back to Buckingham palace , the way QEII alternates between her homes in Balmoral, Windsor and BP, with BP being the one she spends christmas?

I think other posts assumed the renovation of BP, but it just dawned on me you might have meant the alternating...
If that is the case: no, the dutch King and his family will not use various residencex and will move permantly to this Palace now the renovation is done..

Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Did you mean going back to Buckingham palace after the renovation in 2025? Or going back to Buckingham palace , the way QEII alternates between her homes in Balmoral, Windsor and BP, with BP being the one she spends christmas?

I think other posts assumed the renovation of BP, but it just dawned on me you might have meant the alternating...

If that is the case: no, the dutch King and his family will not use various residencex and will move permantly to this Palace now the renovation is done..
Thank you Lee, yes I indeed meant the seasonal shift from Sandringham to BP every winter, not the complete move out of Her Majesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Buckingham Palace will have a much needed restoration as well. But in the Dutch situation it was seen as wiser, more effective and efficient to empty the complete building and turn it into a construction site.

In London it seems the intention that Buckingham Palace remains in use during the restoration. That is not cost-effective because with everything, removal of asbestos, replacing of technical installations, breaking floors, the builders have to take costly preparations first to keep the palace partly functional.

The Dutch royal family remained in the private villa the King bought as Prince of Orange and the builders, constructors, technicians, painters, restorators, etc had free play in Huis ten Bosch.
As above Duc, I actually meant when The Queen moves yearly, not when she moves out.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But the Brits think otherwise. And it seems that in Buckingham Palace always one wing will be emptied and then renovated. So it is not that the Royal Family and the workers are in the same rooms.
Yes, they do the same with the current restoration of the Palace of Westminster. It is done while MP's and their staff are absolutely crammed in every broomstick closet. In the BBC-series about the House of Lords I saw situations which would cause all alarm bells ringing from Dutch or German safety inspectors: blocked escape routes, four bureaus crammed into a former kitchenette without safety exit, part of the sprinklers cut off because a few walls furtherer in the building constructors were stripping walls. My jaws dropped when I saw that. I recommend King Charles to empty the whole BP and use Clarence House as residence as long as BP is under construction. But okay, to paraphrase Saint Paul: when in London, do as the Londoners do. :-)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why are they moving? Is it like The Queen going back to BP after Christmas?
No, not at all. Unlike the British (and Danish) royals the Dutch monarch lives in the same place year round. Huis ten Bosch is the official residence of the monarch, so that's where the king and his family were expected to live (in a palace instead of a private villa), however, as others explained they used the transition from one monarch to the other to completely renovate the palace (although they aren't done yet; only the private apartments are fully ready). So, after almost 6 years as king the family finally moved in today (based on their comments last summer, they probably would have preferred to stay at the Eikenhorst, so hopefully they will learn to enjoy their new home).

Edit: just noticed that Lee-Z already answered the question.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just a thought (i'm dutch but not from that area so don't know):
the princesses go to school on bike, right? doesn it make a lot of difference for them how long they will have to cycle now they are moving to this residence?

(also have some mental images of the girls quarelling about who gets which bedroom )
Old 01-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Just a thought (i'm dutch but not from that area so don't know):
the princesses go to school on bike, right? doesn it make a lot of difference for them how long they will have to cycle now they are moving to this residence?

(also have some mental images of the girls quarelling about who gets which bedroom )
For Amalia and Alexia school is much closer now (they passed Huis ten Bosch on their way to school previously). For Ariane it's a bit but not much further (and she only has a few more months left at primary school, and her secondary school will be closer as well). Her primary school is somewhat in-between her old and new home. I will look up the exact distances...

Huis ten Bosch - Sorghvliet: 5.3 km (19 min)
Eikenhorst - Sorghvliet: 9.8 (34 min)

Eikenhorst - Bloemcampschool: 2.8 km (9 min)
Huis ten Bosch - Sorghvliet: 3.3 km (11 min)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Queen Elizabeth spends Christmas at Sandringham. She actually spends most of her time at Windsor only spending 2 or 3 nights a week at Buckingham Palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, they do the same with the current restoration of the Palace of Westminster. It is done while MP's and their staff are absolutely crammed in every broomstick closet. In the BBC-series about the House of Lords I saw situations which would cause all alarm bells ringing from Dutch or German safety inspectors: blocked escape routes, four bureaus crammed into a former kitchenette without safety exit, part of the sprinklers cut off because a few walls furtherer in the building constructors were stripping walls. My jaws dropped when I saw that. I recommend King Charles to empty the whole BP and use Clarence House as residence as long as BP is under construction. But okay, to paraphrase Saint Paul: when in London, do as the Londoners do. :-)
Charles, or King George VII as it's said he will be called, dislikes Buckingham Place and has said he has no intention of moving there. Ironically, Princess Elizabeth lived at Clarence House and wanted to stay there after she became Queen but Churchill insisted she move to Buckingham Palace.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

When the say the media will have access - does that mean more pictures to come? I assume just from the official rooms. Out of interest which wing is for the family - the left or right as looking at it?

Whilst I don't wholly agree with abdication its nice they are moving in without having to have faced the death of Beatrix.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Majesty

The flagpole with the Royal standard misses the golden crown. I see also the big golden lanterns are still missing. Maybe these items get new gold and will re-appear, as the restoration continues.

The crown which used to top the flagpole:
https://www.verwoerd-watersport.nl/i...rouwwimpel.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
When the say the media will have access - does that mean more pictures to come? I assume just from the official rooms. Out of interest which wing is for the family - the left or right as looking at it?

Whilst I don't wholly agree with abdication its nice they are moving in without having to have faced the death of Beatrix.
I think the King will do a sightseeing with a camera team. Or a documentary about the restoration. When the silk wallhangings of the Japanese and Chinese Salons were restored, a visibly impressed Queen Beatrix showed a camera team the result. I saw snippets of that in the program Blauw Bloed, this weekend.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see photos from inside, I guess I am dreaming! But it would be nice to see the decoration in all rooms
Old 01-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Huis ten Bosch, pictured in the fresh snow!

https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...9e4&m=nelefjgj
https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...9e4&m=nelefjgj
https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...9e4&m=aiecoblb
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...9e4&m=cjfiooee
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

after just having hand-shovelled my driveway i can say i'm glad i don't have to do theirs
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would make a nice insert photo on 2019 Christmas Cards!

Here are a few more photos!

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...-01-2019%20The
Old 01-23-2019, 04:40 AM
Majesty

One can see the double ring:

The first gate with the alley leading to the second gate:
https://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan...PE19012239.jpg

The second gate with the crash barriers:
https://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan...PE19012238.jpg

Around the palace park is a moat as well, with anti-terrorism fences.

Tags
palaces, the hague