The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Majesty

"12-04-2017 Palace Huis ten Bosch in The Hague, the new residence to be of the Dutch King and Queen.
The renovation of the exterior, interieur, security and gardens are estimated for 59 million euro and will be ready end 2018, beginning 2019."

PPE Agency

Old 04-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Majesty

The costs are gigantic and the strange thing is: the last major restoration ended in 1983 and it is remarkable that the whole palace has to go back in scaffoldings again, after only some three decades. For a couple of months the magnificent central hall (already restored for a fortune, a few years ago) was open to the public. The rest of the palace did not make the impression that a 60 million Euro renovation was needed...

Old 04-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There seems to be some serious restoration work taking place at the Palace,I look forward to seeing the finished results!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
There seems to be some serious restoration work taking place at the Palace,I look forward to seeing the finished results!
Serious indeed!A repeat of the works carried out on the Royal Palace here in Amsterdam soem years ago,once finished the works started soon afterwards again as asbestos et tout still had to be removed.It took years to clean up and restore the whole caboodle much to the dismay of the then Queen Beatrix.And right she was.Same happened here,the concoctions of the 80's won't do in this day and age.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose the king and queen will get concoctions of the 2010s instead. The king said that their private area will get 'openslaande deuren' to the garden. These doors are the dream of any bakfiets moeder with her own bouwkavel in Amsterdam IJburg.

Anyway, I am sure the government building service would not have allowed the demolition of any old walls, especially not to the exterior.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:04 AM
Majesty

To my best knowledge there are already "openslaande deuren" to the garden, at the backside of Huis ten Bosch Palace. There is a platform or balcony between the souterrain and the "ground floor" (which is more the first floor) if my memory does not fool me.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Indeed, but the king said they would be installed in their private appartments on the groundfloor. I suppose that the private area will be in a wing of the palace, as it was the case with Queen Beatrix.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Majesty

Ach ja, as long as it is tastefully done and completely in line with the exterior of the monument, I am fine with it. After all it is also a house for the royal family, and no museum ;-)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Administrator

True, perhaps a few personal touches makes the building even more interesting in the long run. The added doors in the Oranjesael by Cateau Schimmelpenninck seemed to have survived the test of time...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some Recent photos of the work being carried out at the Palace Huis ten Bosch in The Hague.

PPE Agency
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Majesty

The palace will be in sparkling state, that is for sure (but it never looked in poor state, I must say). In WWII the park was completely destroyed as it was used by the Germans to launch VI and VII missiles to the United Kingdom. As a consequence the allied forces regularly bombed the site, with heavy damage to palace and park.

Picture of the completely destroyed park, with bunkers, and a damaged Huis ten Bosch.

In the 1950's a provisoric garden was created: picture.

Today still the same lay-out exists, but of course the trees have grown.: picture.

I have understood also the garden will be restored/restyled, whatever the name. I am curious how that will look. A return to a formal garden à la Het Loo looks unlikely to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Majesty

The renovation of the Palace continue. Two aerial pictures from August 23

http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...d05&m=ocmmllha
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...d05&m=cddfcdnn
Old 09-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

Will the Kings live in this palace?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Majesty

Yes when the Palace is ready about the end of 2018 and beginning of 2019.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Administrator

It seems that the garden will be rather modern. At least if the flower beds on the left of the photo are meant to stay.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Majesty

The restoration of Huis ten Bosch will be more expensive again. The original budget was 35 million Euro. Then it became 59 million Euro. Now it has been set on 63 million Euro.

Reasons: initially only parts of the palace outdoor steps would be replaced, now the whole exterior steps will be completely renewed. The same with the roof: initially parts of the roof would be replaced, but by hindsight the whole roof will be renewed as there is woodrot in beams bearing the roof. There needs to be more asbestos removed than initially expected. Closer inspection learned that some stucco works needs more attention than initially foreseen etc.

Luckily the economy is booming and the State has a Budget Surplus, so there is not that much rumour about the astronomic costs for the private residence of the King. It remains a mystery that a palace which had been extensively restored in the 1980's needs such an immense operation again.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It remains a mystery that a palace which had been extensively restored in the 1980's needs such an immense operation again.
I was thinking the same thing as I read your post. The palace was renovated not that long ago so why this need for a new massive renovation so soon? Only reason I can think of is that they messed up last time and for instance closed of any possibilities of natural ventilation leading to moist & rot in the structure of the house.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I was thinking the same thing as I read your post. The palace was renovated not that long ago so why this need for a new massive renovation so soon? Only reason I can think of is that they messed up last time and for instance closed of any possibilities of natural ventilation leading to moist & rot in the structure of the house.
According the site of the Rijksvastgoedbedrijf (State Estate Agency) there was no restoration in the 1980's.

In WWII the park of Huis ten Bosch was used by the Germans as a launch base for V1 and v2 missiles directed at England. Retaliating raids heavily damaged the park and the building. Picture of Huis ten Bosch at the end of the war. You can see the bunkers in the park.

From 1948 until 1957 the damages to the park and the building were repaired.

From 1977 to 1981 there were "modernization of installations" (so no lentghy restoration as often thought) = picture

From 1998 to 2001 the Oranjesael (picture) was restored

From 2016 to 2019 Huis ten Bosch is undergoing major maintenance as well restoration works: picture.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The renovation of the Palace continue. Two aerial pictures from August 23

http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...d05&m=ocmmllha
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...d05&m=cddfcdnn
I have never expected the renovation of the palace to be só costly. Together with the restoration of the Oranjesael (11 million) the whole project will have cost 74 million Euro. In essence for just a relatively little palace. ( ).

Soon the restoration works will start for the Inner Court complex (picture), which is budgetted on no less than 500 million Euro. ( )
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I suppose they are not renovating the Hall of Knights, as that was done a few years ago? The Orange Hall is the most elaborate interior of the country, The Inner Court has nothing that can be compared to it.

It would not be surprising if the costs for the Inner Court will also exceed the budget. It always does.. .

Tags
palaces, the hague