Palace Het Loo & the Royal Domains, Apeldoorn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dutch royal

Aristocracy
City
apeldoorn
Country
Netherlands
Here are pictures of paleis het Loo ( made it myself )

Attachments

• PICT0068.gemerkt.JPG
    PICT0068.gemerkt.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 663
  • PICT0076.gemerkt.JPG
    PICT0076.gemerkt.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 685
Dutch-style castles are unique, some appear small in the photos, but lovely. Castle het Loo, Castel Drakensteyn and Paleis het Loo are very interesting. I would love to see them myself one day. Are any of them open to the public? :)

Well, that is the calvinistic aproach, don't show of to much. So a stern facade with an unexpected bigger and grand interior :)
The two biggest palaces build (by Stadholder Willem III) were sadly neglected and torn down after the battle about his inheritance by the houses of Nassau-Dillenburg and Brandenburg, so we lost Huize Nieburgh (Naaldwijk) and Palace Honselaarsdijk (Voorschoten), both near The Hague.

Marengo,
The Calvinistic approach: I love the idea that the facade is stern and the interior is more opulent. I will definately have to travel to Holland to really appreciate the dutch style of castle-building. I am sorry to hear the two largest were torn down. Thanks so much for the information, I feel I learned something.:)

The pictures are from ANP and uploaded via my own webspace.

Some more pictures from the royal estate Het Loo.
The palace is the heart of the estate. The old castle is hidden in the woods and is very private.
No wonder it is so loved by The Queen.

A salon.

looh7.jpg

The Fountain of Venus and the Colonnade (background).
Behind the colonnade the old King's Alley leading into the vast forests is under restoration.

looh8.jpg

The pictures are from ANP and uploaded via my own webspace.

The palace, with stunning classic gardens is open for public. Sometimes it is partly closed when it is use by The Queen.
(Since 1975 there is no royal using this palace as a residence. Maybe in the future this can change, depending on the wishes of King Willem IV Alexander).

Now it has a museal function but can always be used by The Queen.
For an example: she received and hosted Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at this palace).
She celebrated her 60th birthday with dozens of many, many royal guests at this palace as well.

The British royal couple with Queen Beatrix: watching fireworks in the palace park

looh6.jpg

The Queen is very devoted to Het Loo.
For her 60th birthday she ordered a massive work of art to be done in the forests:
60 bronze stumps of trees are planted, exactly following the pillars in the floorplan of the Cathedral of Reims, where all French Kings were crowned.
Due to the natural patina these heavy as lead stumps looks like real.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Emily said:
Wow, Henri m., thank you for this very complete picture show of Het Loo Palace and the Castle! I do have some additional questions that I wonder if you might be able to answer? Is the Old Castle on firm ground or actually built into the water of the moat? What kind of acreage do the castle/palace sit on? (and isn't Princess Margriet's house on the same domain?) Who uses the new Palace and how far is it from the Castle? I find the new Het Loo to be such a beautiful building. So is this a very private domain, then? Can the Imperial CP Couple have freedom to walk on the domain without press intrusion? Thank you for any help you, or others, can give.

The moat is back in place since 1912 or so,it was closed in the 19th century,I believe by Louis Napoleon,but Queen Wilhelmina and
Prince Hendrik jointly dug in their spades to restore the moat to it's original,Wilhelmina's wish.Maybe,Henri can post the pics from the
"memory of the netherlands" site?....:)

The photos are beautiful, thank you Henri. The Het Loo Palace is Georgian in architecture- term used in all English speaking nations and describes the style that became popular in the era of the George kings; what is the description of that style in The Netherlands?

juliana said:
The photos are beautiful, thank you Henri. The Het Loo Palace is Georgian in architecture- term used in all English speaking nations and describes the style that became popular in the era of the George kings; what is the description of that style in The Netherlands?

Het Loo is seen as a Palace in Louis XIV-style adapted in a more sober Dutch way. Kensington Palace in London is very similar (not so strange: it got its look under the same William & Mary as Het Loo).

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
Het Loo is seen as a Palace in Louis XIV-style adapted in a more sober Dutch way. Kensington Palace in London is very similar (not so strange: it got its look under the same William & Mary as Het Loo).

:flowers:
Yes, Kensington Palace is of the William & Mary era, one large step on from the Baroque and certainly leading to Queen Anne (mostly popular today with furniture style) and then Georgian, about 25 years in all -totally symmetrical and classic and Het Loo and Kensington are fine examples of those changes.

Well good people,

I am now going to do something most unDutch, unroyal and undignified but the good and clever Queen Beatrix would forgive me. I am going to pant, slurp and drool. This sight has the same orgiastic effect on me as royal jewelry and ceremony. It is all of one piece: pure magic. I am so grateful to Henri and the other members for creating this incredible collage. Now you will excuse me while I go off into a corner and just bliss out. Cheers. Cheers. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

PS. As I have known for a long time the good Queen Wilhelmina was nobody's fool and was something else. Clever, shrewd and wise. Quite a combination.

Now up to Apeldoorn to see something of the interior of Palace het Loo. The pictures are again provided by Thijs at the Alexander Palace forum.

Bedroom of Queen Mary II, Princess of Orange:

loo4mary2.jpg

Another view of her bedroom:

loo21.jpg

The bedroom of Stadholder/King Willem III

loo11w3.jpg

Another state bedroom:

loo23statebedroom.jpg

The portrait gallery of Palace 't Loo.

On the right, below you can see King Frederik and Queen Elisabeth of Bohemia aka the winterking and winterqueen. On their left is a portrait of Louise de Coligny, 4th wife of Prince Willem I and daughter of Admiral Count Gaspard de Coligny:

loo6.jpg

Another view of the portrait gallery with a painting of the breastfeeding Princess Sophie-Hedwig of Nassau-Dietz, nee Pss of Brunswick.

loo10.jpg

Another picture of the gallery. The painting 2nd of the right shows King/Stadholder Willem III:

loo22.jpg

Last picture of the portrait gallery, with portraits of Sadholder Frederik-Hendrik, his wife Princess Amalia and one of their daughters (on the right), probably their eldest one Louise-Henriette, future electress of Brandenburg:

loo18.jpg

pictures again provided by Thijs at the Alexander Palace forum.

Studyroom of Queen Wilhelmina. The small statue on the fireplace is Admiral Gaspard de Coligny. One of the anscestors she admired most:

loo13.jpg

Drawingroom of her husband Prince Hendrik:

loo12drawhendrik.jpg

Pictures provided by Thijs at the Alexander palace forum

Room of King Willem I with huge portraits of him and his daughter Princess Marianne on the wall:

loo1.jpg

Room of King Willem III, with a picture of Queen Emma and her daughter Wilhelmina on the wall:

loo3.jpg

(Ghastly) detail form that room:

loo2w3.jpg

pictures provided by Thijs at the Alexander Palace forum.

Room of Queen Anna (the furniture originally stood in Palace Soestdijk), I believe she m,ade some of the embroidery herself. The large painting on the wall is of her husband King Willem II:

loo5anna.jpg

The moor cabinet of Queen Sophie, 1st wife of King Willem III:

loo20moorscabsophie.jpg

Salon of Princess Anna of Great-Britain & Hannover, wife of Sadholder Willem IV. Their portraits are on the walls:

loo19salonw4.jpg

Private cabinet of Stadholder/King Willem III:

loo14privatecabw3.jpg

Pricate cabinet of his wife Mary II:

loo8.jpg

Ceiling detail from a room in the palace:

loo15.jpg

pictures again provided by Thijs at the Alexader palace forum.

A picture of the Hall on the 1st floor:

loo7.jpg

A room in the palace:

loo9.jpg

Dining room of Stadholder/King Willem III:

loo16dining.jpg

Library of Stadholder/King Willem III:

loo17library.jpg

On RTL boulevard I heard that Palace het Loo will open a new room which will be decorated in the style of prince Bernhard. The room will be opened on the prince's birthday (June 26?). I believe they will use some things from Soestdijk for this room.

Last edited:
From 9 February to 4 May 2008 National Palace het Loo will have the exhibition 'Fris en Rein aan het hof' (Fresh and Clean at Court). They will show various toilets of the old days but also bathtubs, bidets etc.

Read more about it in Dutch here.

Princess Margriet will open the restored historical viewpoints in the beautifull gardens of Het Loo Palace on june 20th.

During restauration works in 2003,the remains of a roofed terras with seating places as well as waterbassin were found.
All is restored to its former splendour.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Back
Top Bottom