Palace Het Loo & the Royal Domains, Apeldoorn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

The princess and family indeed lived in a wing of the palace. In 1971 the government decided that the palace -which was mostly unused and falling apart- would be renovated extensively and that it would become a museum. This new destination for the palace made a move of the princess and family necessary. A friend of the couple designed a bungalow close by, they moved in oktober 1975.

A few years ago the bungalow was stripped and completely redesigned. The result is more fortunate than the original monstrosity.

In newspaper articles of the time, it is often said that Queen Juliana would move to Castle Het Oude Loo after her abdication -which of course she never did.

Last edited:
The house of Princess Margriet in 1970's state: picture

The house of Princess Margriet after the last upgrade (unrecognizeable): picture

-------------

Palace Het Loo when Princess Margriet was the resident: picture

Palace Het Loo after Princess Margriet left (unrecognizeable): picture

With the start of the new year, Palace Het Loo will close the doors for three years. Another Dutch palace in scaffoldings for three years.

It will get an underground extension for the many artefacts and objets d'art of the Orange-Nassaus which remain in depôt because of not enough exhibition room. The extension will be in front of the palace (like the Louvre in Paris).

Unlike the famous glass pyramid in front of the Louvre, the demand was that the 17th C view of the palace would not be changed. It will result in a "glass parterre" under water, giving the idea of a fountain, instead of the grass, This glass parterre will be the disguised glass roof of the underground extension.

The view on the bassecour now:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...o_3.jpg/1200px-Apeldoorn_Paleis_Het_Loo_3.jpg

The view on the bassecour in 2021:
https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-cont...to-museum-Paleis-Het-Loo-KAAN-Architecten.jpg

The "glass parterre" the glass rooftop disguised as a fountain:
https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-cont...to-museum-Paleis-Het-Loo-KAAN-Architecten.jpg

As said the palace will keep the 17th C look. In one of the side entrances there will be an unspectacular entrance which will give access to a spectacular underground foyer and museum:
https://www.architectuur.nl/wp-cont...hitecten-verbouwen-Museum-Paleis-Het-Loo3.jpg

This side entrance leads to the foyer below, to the garderobes, the museum shop and the entrance to the premises:
https://www.architectuur.nl/wp-cont...hitecten-verbouwen-Museum-Paleis-Het-Loo5.jpg

These are the underground stairways leading to the exhibition rooms under the bassecour, the light comes the "glass parterre", the glass roof disguised as a fountain:
https://www.architectuur.nl/wp-cont...hitecten-verbouwen-Museum-Paleis-Het-Loo7.jpg

Yesterday in the news it was told that a gigantic load of asbestos will be removed. Behind all the splendour of the palace, there is asbestos, as back in the 1970's (the last big renovation) this was seen as fantastic fire protection material.

For an example, every centimeter behind this green silk of this fabulous gallery is in fact covered with asbestos as a fire protection:
https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-cont...erij-foto-Paleis-Het-Loo-Stef-Verstraaten.jpg

The exhibited State Rooms will have a more logical routing, a few rooms will be added as well. For an example Prince Bernhard's salon. The father of Princess Beatrix found a room with beautiful 18th C paintings and it was updated to 1950's standards for his daily use. Only a black-and-white picture exists of this room (yesterday in the News on TV it was a surprisingly colourful dreamlike scenery, due to the enormous wallpaintings):

https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Afb3-_-Kamer-Bernhard.jpg

It is as colourful as the salon of Prince Bernhard's predecessor, Prince Hendrik, which is open for the public:
https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Afb-2-Zitkamer-prins-Hendrik.jpg

The new exposition rooms will have room for special topics. For an example, a reconstruction of the diner table for the German Emperor Wilhelm II:
https://www.paleishetloo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/5.-Gedekte-tafel.-Foto-Menno-Mulder.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like they have been going on forever,must be near the end now!

Not at all. A huge underground extension will be made. The palace is closed for years to come.

I do not know what to think about it. The restorators stress that the 17th C look of the palace will be totally respected. But the idea that there is a massive underground extension somehow takes away the originality of this glorious house of William III and Mary.

I come to this idea after visiting Schloss Charlottenburg, which was amazingly restored after heavy bombings in WWII. The restorators did a good job, but the idea that it was all "new" gave the Schloss a Walt Disney-feel to me.

:ermm:

I hope and pray that Het Loo will remain that fabulous 17th C residence of the Oranges and manage to keep the feeling that any moment Mary Stuart could leave her boudoir.

Last edited:
That round object on the cour is supposed to become a fountain which hides the glass ceilings for the underground extension. If all is well, people see a fountain and will not realise that under this 17th C basement is a new and huge space.

From 2022 onward for the King counts the same regime as for any other landowner: if they receive state subsidies for the maintenance of flora and fauna, they have to open their land for the public.

In 1956 Queen Wilhelmina donated the Crown Domains to the State but on condition that the Bearer of the Crown has the usufruct of it. As manager of the Crown Domains the King can perfectly close off the area but not when he receives said subsidies.

Until now the King closed off the Crown Domains for three months a year. Animal rights activists suspect the royal family uses this period for hunting but this has never been confirmed. With enforcing an opening of the Crown Domain the animal activists hope to disturb a possible "pleasure hunt". (The Crown Domains state that there is fauna management with respect to all regulations and permissions from the province of Guelders/Gelderland and no such thing what activists call "pleasure hunt").

So the King has to make a decision: receiving some 900.000 Euro a year for maintenance of flora and fauna and open the domains. Or no longer apply for subsidies, then he can do what he wishes.

Other landowners, for an example estates around castles and monumental houses, have to open too when they apply for state subsidies. The King was exempted because of "reasons of the King's private lifesphere" but this was seen as double standards.

The King can perfectly have his private lifesphere anyway when he (read: the royal forestry) no longer applies for state subsidies for the maintenance of flora and fauna and "to open it for the public". (Openstellingssubsidie).

Last edited:
From 2022 onward for the King counts the same regime as for any other landowner: if they receive state subsidies for the maintenance of flora and fauna, they have to open their land for the public.

In 1956 Queen Wilhelmina donated the Crown Domains to the State but on condition that the Bearer of the Crown has the usufruct of it. As manager of the Crown Domains the King can perfectly close off the area but not when he receives said subsidies.

Until now the King closed off the Crown Domains for three months a year. Animal rights activists suspect the royal family uses this period for hunting but this has never been confirmed. With enforcing an opening of the Crown Domain the animal activists hope to disturb a possible "pleasure hunt". (The Crown Domains state that there is fauna management with respect to all regulations and permissions from the province of Guelders/Gelderland and no such thing what activists call "pleasure hunt").

So the King has to make a decision: receiving some 900.000 Euro a year for maintenance of flora and fauna and open the domains. Or no longer apply for subsidies, then he can do what he wishes.

Other landowners, for an example estates around castles and monumental houses, have to open too when they apply for state subsidies. The King was exempted because of "reasons of the King's private lifesphere" but this was seen as double standards.

The King can perfectly have his private lifesphere anyway when he (read: the royal forestry) no longer applies for state subsidies for the maintenance of flora and fauna.
Does EU subsidies also count in this matter? I don't know about the Netherlands, but in Sweden the EU subsidies far outnumber the state subsidies and has proven a goldmine for and the saviour of many estates.

Does EU subsidies also count in this matter? I don't know about the Netherlands, but in Sweden the EU subsidies far outnumber the state subsidies and has proven a goldmine for and the saviour of many estates.

No idea, I believe this is about 900.000 a year from the Dutch taxpayers which also aims to make domains open to the public. I am not sure if EU subsidies have the condition of opening domains. I doubt it otherwise all French vineyards and all Italian olive orchards have to give access to all and everyone.

Last edited:
Legal experts claim that the present construction would not ahve a foot to stand on in a legal courtroom. It was added that the decision is probably therefore not a surprise to the king. Though a missed opportunity for him to either announce the parc will be opened all days of the year or to announce that he will refuse the subsidies. Instead it now seems that the government is forcing his hand. And a minister of the Christian Union even - which supposedly would be the core support group of the RF.

Legal experts claim that the present construction would not ahve a foot to stand on in a legal courtroom. It was added that the decision is probably therefore not a surprise to the king. Though a missed opportunity for him to either announce the parc will be opened all days of the year or to announce that he will refuse the subsidies. Instead it now seems that the government is forcing his hand. And a minister of the Christian Union even - which supposedly would be the core support group of the RF.

Refusing the subsidy is not at order: the management of the Crown Domains has time until December 31st 2021 to send an application for new 5-years period of Openstellingssubsidie, or not.

The Crown Domains apparently was rightfully given that subsidy but of course the question if the King could be allowed to refuse public opening for three months a year because of "protecting the private lifesphere" was a clever juridical instrument by animal activists to try to disturb eventual fauna management (which they call "pleasure hunt").

If the Crown Domains do no longer apply for subsidies, theoretically it can be closed off the whole year. It will be interesting what happens. 900.000 euro subsidy seems not much but the Crown Domains seem -like many other historic estates- more absorbing cash than creating cash.

Last edited:
Don't you think that fauna managment a euphemism for pleasure hunt? When I am listening to the radio etc. it seems that everybody assumes that the domain is closed because the king wants to shoot wild boars for fun. I seldom hear anybody claiming that the hunt is happening for any other reason. That does not mean that one excludes the other of course.

Although the king may technically close the crown domain I would be very surprised if he would do so. The present wind at court does not seem very skilful in managing the public image of the family -perhaps the top finds personal pleasures more important than public sensitivities- but I doubt they would be as silly as to close the estate down completely & face the subsequent public outcry. It would be interesting if it happens of course, but one wonders how often the king wants to burn his fingers in such a short time.

Don't you think that fauna managment a euphemism for pleasure hunt? When I am listening to the radio etc. it seems that everybody assumes that the domain is closed because the king wants to shoot wild boars for fun. I seldom hear anybody claiming that the hunt is happening for any other reason. That does not mean that one excludes the other of course.

Although the king may technically close the crown domain I would be very surprised if he would do so. The present wind at court does not seem very skilful in managing the public image of the family -perhaps the top finds personal pleasures more important than public sensitivities- but I doubt they would be as silly as to close the estate down completely & face the subsequent public outcry. It would be interesting if it happens of course, but one wonders how often the king wants to burn his fingers in such a short time.

According Mr Jaap Kuper, back then the Chef of the Royal Forestry, the last wild boar shot by Prince Bernhard was in 1996. The Royal House stopped the drijfjacht (battue) in 2001. Since then it are the foresters of the Royal Forestry whom regulate the fauna population on the Crown Domains. Members of the royal family or guests [a hunting certificate is needed in the Netherlands] can join in hunts but never alone, not as "pleasure hunts" but in a couple with a forester of the Royal Forestry.

Source: https://www.trouw.nl/nieuws/oranjes-koesteren-het-loo~bbfb120e/

The King does not need "to burn his fingers". When the Royal Forestry does not apply for a new 5 years of openstellingssubsidie he can close off the Crown Domain in the last three months of the year, as was already always done under Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix. Essentially then nothing changes from the practice since 1956 (when Queen Wilhelmina donated it "to the People", read: the State with the condition of usufruct for the King).

Forgotten is that this donation in combination with the rights of the Bearer of the Crown is an iron guarantee for the preservation of this unique nature in densely populated Netherlands. It is seen as a privilege, this Crown Domain, but at the same time it is this nature area's lifeline.

Last edited:
I have watched the discussion programme 'Jinek' and they were discussing the issue. Surprisingly the editor of the -leftleaning- newspaper the Volkskrant was the most sympathetic to the King and suggested that the decision may be an indication that the King was listening to the objections of people and tried to make a concession. He assumed that the sudden and unexpected decision of the government was made with the support of the king. Others at the table were less positive and were using simplistic arguments such as the king closing the domain for three months to get the right dish at the christmas table.

It is interesting to see the gap between the public perception of the issue and the reality as you correctly describe it above. And it seems there is nobody around who can actually explain the matter from the viewpoint of the king. This prime minister -who gives the royal house a lot of freedom- also fails to protect the royal family when it is needed, as we have seen during other issues in the last years as well.

Last edited:
The King gets the critics from animal activists and all sorts of what grabs anything just for being against something. But the annual closure of the Crown Domains predate his very life. Queen Juliana had little interest in the Crown Domains, so her daughter Princess Beatrix got a seat in the Board and practically was in charge since 1971, when the King was four years old.

So King Willem-Alexander conveniently is portrayed as a hunter wanting to shoot his Christmas dinner but the current management structures of the Crown Domain, the beheersplan (management plan), the organigram, the licenses, permissions, wild management, all predate his "rule" as Bearer of the Crown and so as manager of the Crown Domains. The management plan of the Crown Domains is in close cooperation with the State Domains and with the Province of Guelders, two other major landowners in the same region.

By hindsight Queen Wilhelmina better donated the Crown Domans to one of the Orange-Nassau family foundations instead of "to the People". King Willem-Alexander would then not have all this nosey-pokey into "his" affairs. But at the same time: the Golden State Carriage, not at all owned by the State, it's restoration paid for by the King, will probably never be used again with the same society and politicians pressing on the Cabinet.

So probably, even when the Crown Domains were not donated 'to the People' in 1956 but placed into an Orange-Nassau Family Foundation, all and everyone would blab their opinion about it as well, pressuring the King to do this or to do that.

Illustrative is that citizens of Brussels for years demand that the Royal Domain of Laeken should be opened for "the people" because they see it as unfair that one man has such a big park in densely populated Brussels. That domain was part of the Royal Donation of King Leopold II to the State, on condition of usufruct for the King. More or less the same as with Het Loo.

But that does not stop people to demand this and to demand that. That unique flora and fauna at Crown Domain Het Loo of the Royal Domain of Laeken thrive because of the serenity and lack of people, is of course easily woven away by the same 'nature / animal lovers'.

Last edited:
Just in time for the Easter Holidays:previous:

Lots of wonderful restoration work.

Willem V (1748-1806) had the layout of the upper garden remodeled in more natural landscape style, after the fashion of the day, by the architect Philip W. Schonck.

Willem V (1748-1806) had the layout of the upper garden remodeled in more natural landscape style, after the fashion of the day, by the architect Philip W. Schonck.

And King Louis Napoleon changed it into a pelouse,and english garden,odly enough..

The Palace will open soon again after a long and thorough but beautifull restauration.

https://paleishetloo.nl/en

i am so happy to hear that WA and maxima have made available het loo to house ukrainian refugees. i wonder how many families they can host there and what the hosting situation is like as i assume there's not enclosed spaces one can give to a family for example, my guess is that individual rooms will be provided to individual people? in any case, it is a very generous offer and it shows they are walking the walk! i also wonder what they will do as i assume there's many artifacts in the palace which may be easily breakable/fragile which is probably tricky with families with small children. in any case, a lovely gesture. hope other families follow suit.

i am so happy to hear that WA and maxima have made available het loo to house ukrainian refugees. i wonder how many families they can host there and what the hosting situation is like as i assume there's not enclosed spaces one can give to a family for example, my guess is that individual rooms will be provided to individual people? in any case, it is a very generous offer and it shows they are walking the walk! i also wonder what they will do as i assume there's many artifacts in the palace which may be easily breakable/fragile which is probably tricky with families with small children. in any case, a lovely gesture. hope other families follow suit.

In the media it was stated that the top floors of the mediaeval castle were used as accomodation for staff, so it is more or less already basically "ready". This building apparently can 8 families, between 20 to 30 persons.

The castle in the woods

They will live in fabulous lush green surroundings as the caste is surrounded by the Crown Domain Het Loo (7.900 hectare of forests, 1.550 hectare of moorlands en 250 hectare of agriculture grounds) which was given to the State by Queen Wilhelmina with the condition of usufruct by the Bearer of the Crown.

The up to 8 Ukrainian families to be housed there will feel like awaking in a dream:

The castle in the woods

Last edited by a moderator:
The rooms are looking great, everything is in an excellent shape. The court yard still needs some works and will apparently only be finished in 2023.

It would be interesting to know which rooms were changed & how. I am not sure if all the pieces from Soestdijk were used for the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, Perhaps some items were added here? And I believe the room of Prince Bernhard is new.

Back
Top Bottom