General Discussion about Dutch Royal Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tina

Courtier
City
Irgendwo im Nirgendwo
Country
Germany
Edit Marengo: This thread can be used for the general discussion on Dutch royal palaces, castles, villa's, estates, churches etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess where the royal family will live after the abdication of Queen Beatrix:

Amsterdam (province North Holland)

The Royal Palace - for representation by The King

The Hague (province South Holland)

Noordeinde Palace - as official residence to The King

Huis ten Bosch Palace - as private residence to The King

Mansion Noordeinde 66 - private mansion for long-stay guests to The King (the Zorreguietas, the Von Amsbergs, etc.)

Apeldoorn (province Guelders)

Het Loo Palace - for representation by The King

Castle Het Oude Loo - as weekend retreat to The King

Het Nieuwe Loo Estate - as private residence to HRH Princess Margriet

Crown Domains Het Loo - nature reserve in usufruct by The King

Baarn (province Utrecht)

Soestdijk Palace - remains out of use by the royal family, I expect

Drakensteyn Estate - as private residence to HRH Princess Beatrix

Wassenaar (province South Holland)

Royal Estate De Horsten - as private residence to HRH Prince Constantijn

Tavarnelle val di Pesa (Tuscany, Italy)

Rocco dei Dragoni - mediaeval Tuscan olive-plantation farmhouse, as vacation retreat by The King

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost have the same thoughts about the list, though I don't think Beatrix will leave her Rocco di Dragoni anytime soon.

A real pity that Soestdijk will be lost, but helas. It is extremely unlikely that Willem-Alexander will be living there.

I was wondering about Villa Eikenhorst too, did the Prince buy it from his aunt Christina? If he did, and it is his private property, I do not expect Constantijn and Laurentien to live there. Maybe they will have a new house built on Drakensteyn estate? Like Princess Margriet did at het Loo.

I almost have the same thoughts about the list, though I don't think Beatrix will leave her Rocco di Dragoni anytime soon.

A real pity that Soestdijk will be lost, but helas. It is extremely unlikely that Willem-Alexander will be living there.

I was wondering about Villa Eikenhorst too, did the Prince buy it from his aunt Christina? If he did, and it is his private property, I do not expect Constantijn and Laurentien to live there. Maybe they will have a new house built on Drakensteyn estate? Like Princess Margriet did at het Loo.

The King can grant his youngest brother Prince Constantijn the villa, which is already 'terror proof' secured. When King Willem IV Alexander will reside on Huis ten Bosch Palace, the heavily secured villa on the Royal Domain De Horsten in nearby Wassenaar will not have much use for him,

As Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will become active members of the Royal House, what is more logical to let them live in the already modernized, secured and guarded villa on that fantastic old nature reserve in the middle of one of Europe's most densely populated regions?

I agree on Soestdijk Palace. Maybe it will follow Amsterdam and Apeldoorn: mainly a museal function, but it can always be used by the royal family, when needed?

no more new houses please esp. because they seem to favour the model "southfork" and cut a load of trees in the process.

It must be heaven to be able to live in Drakesteyn, let them go live there.

no more new houses please esp. because they seem to favour the model "southfork" and cut a load of trees in the process.

It must be heaven to be able to live in Drakesteyn, let them go live there.

Southfork? Come on.
Villa Eikenhorst has quite improved since Princess Christina has left it. The windows and doors have changed inot a more authenitic look. The Prince of Orange has made a great, comfortable and nice looking villa from it.

Prince Friso lives in Kensington (London) if I'm right and Prince Constantijn in a sort of Jugendstil style mansion in Brussels. None of both looks like Dallas or Dynasty.

The trees were cut down for the gigantic fence and the barracks and garages for the Royal Marechaussee guards. Also wires and cables were laid into the ground for the cameras and detectors. And there seems to be a need for a few metres of 'free view' on the fence, for the security.

Exactly the same sort of provisions are made right now around Drakensteyn Estate. Also there villagers have protested against the draconic building activities and the cutting of trees. It is not the Oranges themselves. It is ordered by Government on advice of the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and after consultation of the Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service, the Royal Marechaussee and the Corps National Police Services.

when christina built her villa the world was a different place security wise and no such buildings would have been necessary if she had chosen to live elsewhere, in one of the many country houses begging to be restored.

I have no objection to how friso and constantijn live

Southfork? Come on.
Villa Eikenhorst has quite improved since Princess Christina has left it. The windows and doors have changed inot a more authenitic look. The Prince of Orange has made a great, comfortable and nice looking villa from it.

Prince Friso lives in Kensington (London) if I'm right and Prince Constantijn in a sort of Jugendstil style mansion in Brussels. None of both looks like Dallas or Dynasty.

The trees were cut down for the gigantic fence and the barracks and garages for the Royal Marechaussee guards. Also wires and cables were laid into the ground for the cameras and detectors. And there seems to be a need for a few metres of 'free view' on the fence, for the security.

Exactly the same sort of provisions are made right now around Drakensteyn Estate. Also there villagers have protested against the draconic building activities and the cutting of trees. It is not the Oranges themselves. It is ordered by Government on advice of the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and after consultation of the Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service, the Royal Marechaussee and the Corps National Police Services.

when christina built her villa the world was a different place security wise and no such buildings would have been necessary if she had chosen to live elsewhere, in one of the many country houses begging to be restored.

I have no objection to how friso and constantijn live

You mean in one of the many castles or so?

Great idea. But the Royal Estate De Horsten and Drakensteyn Estate are private properties of the Queen. The first one even for almost 175 years. Somewhere it is weird to buy and upkeep and modernize a country estate while there already is a great lavish green estate, lavishly located in a nature reserve in the densely polulated city cluster Utrecht - Amsterdam - The Hague - Rotterdam.

I would have preferred it to see The Prince of Orange living on one of those fantastic castles in Limburg, but tja....

You mean in one of the many castles or so?

Great idea. But the Royal Estate De Horsten and Drakensteyn Estate are private properties of the Queen. The first one even for almost 175 years. Somewhere it is weird to buy and upkeep and modernize a country estate while there already is a great lavish green estate, lavishly located in a nature reserve in the densely polulated city cluster Utrecht - Amsterdam - The Hague - Rotterdam.
I would have preferred it to see The Prince of Orange living on one of those fantastic castles in Limburg, but tja....

I am sorry might be a bit dense but I do not understand what you mean. Just to be clear I meant that they buy a non royal country house, which otherwise would become a hotel or whatever, in the cluster of utrecht adam the hague and rdam. I do not see anything weird about it.

Well, Beatrix did that with Drakensteyn. I would hope that Constantijn will do the same when he settles here with his family, but I don´t expect that he can afford to by an estate, country house and the restauration of it all. It is more likely that he will settle down on one of the estates of the family, so de Horsten, Drakensteyn or in Apeldoorn.

If he will live in the Eikenhorst that would create a problem where to settle Amalia in the far future, though I don´t expect they plan these things 30 years ahead of course.

Well, Beatrix did that with Drakensteyn. I would hope that Constantijn will do the same when he settles here with his family, but I don´t expect that he can afford to by an estate, country house and the restauration of it all. It is more likely that he will settle down on one of the estates of the family, so de Horsten, Drakensteyn or in Apeldoorn.

If he will live in the Eikenhorst that would create a problem where to settle Amalia in the far future, though I don´t expect they plan these things 30 years ahead of course.

I wish Her Majesty a long and happy life -of course- but it will be most likely in her twenties that Princess Catharina-Amalia will leave the parental nest. At that time the Queen is way in her nineties. Most likely the Princess of Orange can opt for Noordeinde 66, for het Nieuwe Loo (the present house of Princess Margriet), Castle Het Oude Loo, Drakensteyn Estate, Villa Eikenhorst on De Horsten Estate, etc....

Well, I am still hoping one of them would get a nice estate in Zeeland, Frisia or Limbourg, all very pretty provinces. But I don´t think it is likely that an heir will live too far away from the Hague in the future, I expect even Apeldoorn will be considered too far, as is Soestdijk Palace for WA and Maxima.

The total sum of the renovation of the palaces is now estimated at 127 million euros (!).

Renovatie paleizen kost de staat ruim 127 miljoen euro | Inhuldiging Willem-Alexander | de Volkskrant

However if you add the numbers provided in the article you only get 1/3 of the amount. So I wonder what costs were added to get to this sum.

They say talk about restorations 'around the time of WA's installation', so maybe they included Dam Palace, which finished +/- 5 years ago.

Apparently Huis ten Bosch gets a new roof.

Last edited:
I agree, a very incomplete article which does not explain how the total sum is calculated. The calculation brings me to a result of not even half of the mentioned total. Very sloppy journalism: sensationalist header but no content to support it.

Still it remains relatively calm I must say. In earlier years there was more uproar about much smaller amounts (renovation of the private sailyacht, the use of royal planes). It looks like the majority shrugs the shoulders: What needs to be done, must be done.

Last edited:
I agree, a very incomplete article which does not explain how the total sum is calculated. The calculation brings me to a result of not even half of the mentioned total. Very sloppy journalism: sensationalist header but no content to support it.

Still it remains relatively calm I must say. In earlier years there was more uproar about much smaller amounts (renovation of the private sailyacht, the use of royal planes). It looks like the majority shrugs the shoulders: What needs to be done, must be done.

And also: they are going to do it anyway, won't matter a bit what we think :flowers:

The total sum of the renovation of the palaces is now estimated at 127 million euros (!).

Renovatie paleizen kost de staat ruim 127 miljoen euro | Inhuldiging Willem-Alexander | de Volkskrant

However if you add the numbers provided in the article you only get 1/3 of the amount. So I wonder what costs were added to get to this sum.

They say talk about restorations 'around the time of WA's installation', so maybe they included Dam Palace, which finished +/- 5 years ago.

Apparently Huis ten Bosch gets a new roof.

The 127 mil. euro is explained in the illustration (probably only in the paper version?):
Paleis op de Dam: 80 mil. euro (excl. renovation of exterior facade)
Villa Eikenhorst: 400 k (build of temporary "home-office" for the king in the garden)
Paleis Huis ten Bosch: 35 mil.
Paleis Noordeinde: 8 mil.
Noordeinde 66: 3.7 mil.
Kasteel Drakensteyn: not completely budget of the government

Thanks! I didn't see it in the online article & I didn't get the paper version today. To put the costs of Dam palace on the same pile is a bit rich, that started a decade ago, ended 5 years ago & had little to do with WA. But well, it makes a juicier headline. All the same, it is a lot of money, esp. for Huis ten Bosch.
I think Dam palace was worth every penny btw, it looks so much better these days, I can't believe they had all these beautiful chandeliers collecting dust on the attics for half a century.

What I do not like in the discussion is that some people discuss as if these costs would not occur in a republic & insinuate that WA is spending it on golden taps in his private appartments. I am sure that 3 palaces would remain state buildings with representational functions in a Dutch republic, and I am quite sure they would have to be maintained too. You can argue if the repairs etc. are needed of course, esp. now, and you can argue about the Greek harbor. But the discussion has been rather unfair. He will be working from an improved container for the next years, what more do they want? Put up a tent? Or just in the open air?

Few complained about the costs of the new parlament & the renovation of the old ball room of parlament, few complained about the costs of the renovation of the hall of knights, and even the idiotic renovations of the residence of the PM was not so much critisized for the costs as it was for the uglyness (& fire). The small fountain on the inner court was restored for 150.000 euros! And let's not forget all the megalomanic new ministeries in The Hague of the last 15 years; next to get a new builing is Foreign Affairs. It makes the outcry of a few politicians seem a little odd in this case. It is the duty of the state to maintain our national heritage, it is one of the reasons why we pay such a rediculous amount of tax each month.

Edit:
Apparently the king can't work at Noordeinde in the evening as the place is closed (???):
http://www.vorsten.nl/2014/10/04/ko...paleis/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I have no idea why it can't be opened.

Last edited:
Despite all nagging and criticisms, I think King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima have no any need to complain (and they are not complaining indeed). I have the idea that the Dutch royal residences, together with the ones in Luxembourg and Monaco, are amongst the very best maintenanced and up to the highest standards.

The State of the Netherlands is also very generous in money and in services towards the King and his House. I can not say anything else. And that is amazing, given the fact that Dutch are in general quite critical when it is about costs and we can not say that the most parties in the States-General (Parliament) are that very royalist at all.

At the same time I am amazed by the amounts flying around the ears, for new Audis, a flashy speedboat, for a pied-à-terre here and temporary housing there, it is beyond belief what all this costs. The "colleagues" in Spain and Belgium will look with disbelief to those crazy Dutch, opening their wallets again and again...

At the same time disbelief that the Dutch have one of the most expensive monarchies, but His Majesty can not make use of Noordeinde Palace in the evening because outside office times the whole complex is empty... Why was it never a problem for Queen Juliana or Queen Beatrix? It is a mystery to me.

:whistling:

Last edited:
Despite all nagging and criticisms, I think King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima have no any need to complain (and they are not complaining indeed). I have the idea that the Dutch royal residences, together with the ones in Luxembourg and Monaco, are amongst the very best maintenanced and up to the highest standards.

The State of the Netherlands is also very generous in money and in services towards the King and his House. I can not say anything else. And that is amazing, given the fact that Dutch are in general quite critical when it is about costs and we can not say that the most parties in the States-General (Parliament) are that very royalist at all.

At the same time I am amazed by the amounts flying around the ears, for new Audis, a flashy speedboat, for a pied-à-terre here and temporary housing there, it is beyond belief what all this costs. The "colleagues" in Spain and Belgium will look with disbelief to those crazy Dutch, opening their wallets again and again...

At the same time disbelief that the Dutch have one of the most expensive monarchies, but His Majesty can not make use of Noordeinde Palace in the evening because outside office times the whole complex is empty... Why was it never a problem for Queen Juliana or Queen Beatrix? It is a mystery to me.

:whistling:

The colleagues in Belgium and Spain have serious economic problems in their country that preclude them from 'opening their wallets' publicly in the way the Dutch RF appears to do, in your opinion.

The colleagues in Belgium and Spain have serious economic problems in their country that preclude them from 'opening their wallets' publicly in the way the Dutch RF appears to do, in your opinion.

The Dutch have economic problems too...

I am not sure if this is the right place but PPE Agency
The Hague Interior of the royal stables with the Glazen Koets and other carriages at palace Noordeinde in The Hague.

Please moderators feel free to move this to the right place,
thank you

I think it was an 18th birthday present for Beatrix and is still used today, part of the gift was to maintain it which caused a lot of controversy a few years ago when the costs were revealed to be so high.

I think it was an 18th birthday present for Beatrix and is still used today, part of the gift was to maintain it which caused a lot of controversy a few years ago when the costs were revealed to be so high.

It was the Royal Navy which promised in 1956 that it would pay for the operation and the maintenance of this private (not royal) sail yacht. That was their birthday gift to Princess Beatrix. That the costs would be so astronomic when the traditional wooden yacht was restored, no one could have foreseen. But since the last major restoration, in the last years of Queen Beatrix' reign, it had become silent around it. The costs are open in the Budget, but it is no news anymore.

For 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 the Royal Navy has budgetted 87.000 Euro per year for the maintenance. That is a considerable sum for such a small boat. Explanation: "a maintenance in premium quality = premium quality prices".

Last edited:
:previous: The ceiling with the capital W is very ornate. You do not see an initial on the ceiling every day.

Back
Top Bottom