Group reading? Dimbleby/Morton

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jo of Palatine

Heir Apparent
City
Munich
Country
Germany
Having just finished the Morton/Diana-book I started with the Dimbleby-biography of Charles. Now there is so much ground for discussion!
Do you think it might be interesting to do a group read of first the Morton-book and then Dimbleby with a discussion parallely here? And on which forum?

I have both books , but they are packed in boxes probably at my son's lol I'd be happy to go and do a rummage for them if we got a discussion going.Would have to re-read them as it's been years since I got them.

The Dimbley book had an update at the end of Diana's death

Sounds interesting. Let me confer with the other moderators about whether this discussion would go better here or in the Royal Library.

ysbel just reminded me that I hadn't got back to you about this, for which I apologise. The consensus is that the discussion would probably fit better in the Royal Library, and if you decide to go ahead with it there, we can post a link to the Library thread here so that people know where to find it.

I have both books , but they are packed in boxes probably at my son's lol I'd be happy to go and do a rummage for them if we got a discussion going.Would have to re-read them as it's been years since I got them.

The Dimbley book had an update at the end of Diana's death

I didn't realise that Dimbleby had updated his 1994 biography of Prince Charles post 1997. I don't remember it coming out in the UK. Perhaps it was only published in Australia?

I didn't realise that Dimbleby had updated his 1994 biography of Prince Charles post 1997. I don't remember it coming out in the UK. Perhaps it was only published in Australia?

My edition of the Dimbleby biograghie is from 1998 ( published in the UK). The update, written after the death of Diana, appears under the headline ´Appendix III´ and is an article Dimbleby wrote for ´The Sunday Times´on 7 September 1997.
Jo, i really think your idea of a ´group reading´ could be interesting. But in times of this never ending ´Diana case´i feel tired of dicussing again and again the Charles/Diana story. I think everything is said. And i for myself like much more to have a look to the present and the future of the Prince of Wales and his family. (Only my opinion!:flowers:)

Jo, i really think your idea of a ´group reading´ could be interesting. But in times of this never ending ´Diana case´i feel tired of dicussing again and again the Charles/Diana story. I think everything is said. And i for myself like much more to have a look to the present and the future of the Prince of Wales and his family. (Only my opinion!:flowers:)

I have both books, but it has been quite some time since I last read them. I'd re-read them, though, for a discussion of the type proposed. The discussion is almost certain to veer away from the contents of the books, though. Sadly, I have reservations similar to milla_Ca's.

Well, like selrahc4 and milla Ca said, I think it would be continuing some everlasting debates on the "Charles/Diana" conflict without pointing out something new since everything has been said. Although, there's always the possibility of discussing both books and comparing their assertions to see what truth we might get from it. That could be quite interesting ...

My edition of the Dimbleby biograghie is from 1998 ( published in the UK). The update, written after the death of Diana, appears under the headline ´Appendix III´ and is an article Dimbleby wrote for ´The Sunday Times´on 7 September 1997.

Thanks for that information, Milla Ca. I rather agree with you about the futility of reviving the Charles/Diana confrontation by re-reading books which are ten or more years old by now. Besides which the revelations in the Diana Inquest about Diana's behaviour and comments about Prince Charles to her lawyers, friends etc. all seem to have superseded whatever was said in the books. If, however, a joint book read does go ahead I think it should involve the 2nd version of Morton's book (2004 I think) that revealed the lengths to which Diana went to edit the text to blacken Prince Charles's name.

We've been discussing the feasibility of adding a book club subforum to the Library rather than having book discussions in the separate forums. No decisions have been made finally yet because we have some mods and admins who are taking time away from the forum at the moment, but stay tuned....

Back
Top Bottom