Book Club selections for May-August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King, Kaiser, Tsar

I am Australian, Polly, but most of the books on the schedule are in my local library! I've ordered this and I hope that it comes in very soon. I'm looking forward to reading it very much.

Best Regards,
Lisa
bookaddiction

Hooray! Tomorrow is the Day! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of the first 6 chapters of KKT!!

Cat

Sorry guys, I won't be able to participate in this chat. We have a rep from Ohio National coming in (sorry Y, your competitor! :D) So it's house cleaning and cooking the brisket and ribs over a slooooow heat. . . . Keep me informed though!! :flowers:

Russo, when the thread is opened, it's going to stay open. There'll be an hour of facilitated discussion and then people can have a free-form discussion of the chapters for the rest of the week until next Sunday's facilitated discussion. So assuming you have a bit of time sometime this coming week, you're welcome to go and participate. The live chat won't be happening until the end of the month anyway.

You can see the schedule in post 2 of the book thread.

i'm soooo exited about the reading, the books are very interesting!

Russo, when the thread is opened, it's going to stay open. There'll be an hour of facilitated discussion and then people can have a free-form discussion of the chapters for the rest of the week until next Sunday's facilitated discussion. So assuming you have a bit of time sometime this coming week, you're welcome to go and participate. The live chat won't be happening until the end of the month anyway.

You can see the schedule in post 2 of the book thread.
Oh that's terrific! Thanks! :flowers:

I've got the Princess Margaret book, got notice that the Marlbourough set is in the mail, and have just ordered the Masako book. I should be all set until August, then. :D

I've got the Princess Margaret book, got notice that the Marlbourough set is in the mail, and have just ordered the Masako book. I should be all set until August, then. :D
Show off! :yuk:

:D

I finally received the Margaret book today :)clap:). That will do me some good after the poetry collection I had to go through for a stupid exam ;) .

Glistening Seas

:frazzled: omg the daaash to the bookstores are on! i hope everyone gets there on time. :ROFLMAO:omg just found out the bookclub is on i hope they have a link to where the titles are easily accessable and what month they are on at the start of the links otherwise this could get "confusing" . looks like our small bulging library is going to be on the overflow level. The beaches are going to be crowded with all the bookworms this year, just don't forget the suntan oil. :books: For all of us bookworms out here read on!

If you look at posts 2 and 4 of this thread, there's a list of the books for May through August along with suggestions about where to find them. Since you're in England, the June book (Tim Heald's book about Princess Margaret) should be easy for you to find. Hope to see you in the discussion!

This so sucks I had ordered King, Kaiser and Tsar from Borders back in April and NEVER GOT IT!:ohmy:
I hope to have better luck with the Margaret book!

Maybe you should try Amazon. I got the Margaret book from the British Amazon second-hand with very little trouble.

What about Greg King's new book: "A Season of Splendor: The Court of Mrs. Astor in Gilded Age New York" Which comes out October 20 for a future selection? :D

That doesn't sound all that royal, Russo. Erm - New York? :confused:

That doesn't sound all that royal, Russo. Erm - New York? :confused:
But it's OUR Royalty and it can be placed under "Socialites" :D

Okay, Okay, I know, it's a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. . . .:D

I'd like to nominate An Uncommon Woman and The Last Romantic: Queen Marie of Romania by Hannah Pakula. An Uncommon Woman is about Princess Victoria, Queen Victoria's Daughter.

Victoria's Daughters would also be a good choice.

We're not accepting suggestions for the next book club choices in this thread.

If you'd like to suggest a book for September-December, this is the thread for it:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f211/suggestions-poll-september-december-2008-a-17210.html

However, since two of the books for May-August are set in this period, we've chosen different topics for September-December, and I don't think these books are going to fit. We'll try to make sure that one of the topics for the first half of next year can accommodate them, though, because this is obviously a popular topic. We're just trying to make sure that the more obscure topics also get their day in the sun!

Sorry

Hello Elspeth,

I'm sorry about that. I should have looked at the guidelines again before posting. I think that there is a book called Emma: The Viking Queen which might be appropriate.

Regards,
Lisa

Bless me Elspeth for I have sinned:
When I stayed at a friends' house for the funeral I went to, I noticed they had a paperback copy of "The Marlborough House Set" and I "borrowed" it. . . .:ohmy:

Well, at the end of August you'll be able to "unborrow" it, won't you? ;)

Well, maybe. I must say I really did enjoy reading it.

BTW, we have the poll for the next four-month period available if you want to go and investigate. The topics might not be the sort of thing you're interested in, but part of the reason for the book club was to have a few books available that people might not otherwise think about reading. Pretty sure I wouldn't have read King, Kaiser, Tsar if not for the club, and I'm glad I did.

Well, maybe. I must say I really did enjoy reading it.

BTW, we have the poll for the next four-month period available if you want to go and investigate. The topics might not be the sort of thing you're interested in, but part of the reason for the book club was to have a few books available that people might not otherwise think about reading. Pretty sure I wouldn't have read King, Kaiser, Tsar if not for the club, and I'm glad I did.
I need to play catch up on that. They're out here on the Pss Margaret book as well and when I think about going on line to Amazon it's like NOW. :ohmy:
I am interested in reading more about Henry Cust in the book as I had read a bio. on Diana Manners Cooper about a decade ago. It was the Ziegler book. Very good!

Diana Cooper

Hello Russophile,

I really enjoyed that biography too and I've kept it. She was certainly an amazing woman! I heard an interview with her son a few days ago.

Best,
Attaining Grace

Hello Russophile,

I really enjoyed that biography too and I've kept it. She was certainly an amazing woman! I heard an interview with her son a few days ago.

Best,
Attaining Grace
Didn't she only have one son??
Links by chance?? :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom