The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I absolutely LOVE Damian Lewis ...and have since I saw him in the Forsythes Saga...he was amazing in his portrayal of Captain Dick Winters (Band of Brothers) and then again as Brody in the series Homeland.

I was very excited to see him in this show...but as I mentioned rather turned off by what I am hearing about the show....so hmmmm maybe I will watch one episode and see how it goes.

LaRae

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been watching it. I don't know the period particularly well so I'm not likely to pick up historical inaccuracies. I am assuming that the main historical points are correct. I'm enjoying the show. I like Damian Lewis very much, and he's excellent in it.

One thing both my husband and I noticed was how the show has a modern feel to it despite being set in Tudor times. It doesn't have a theatrical feel, but is presented like any other good TV drama made in the UK recently. The performances seem real, perhaps even understated, rather than exaggerated and melodramatic like some period dramas can come across, and I think this helps relate to the characters and the story. Does this make sense?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Serene Highness

I've been enjoying Wolf Hall's broadcast in the U.S. so I thought I would post this Washington Post article that discusses the accuracy of the characterizations of Thomas More and Thomas Cromwell.

I agree with the article in that the characterizations are a bit off. More was more charming and Cromwell was more ruthless. In that time period, you had to be ruthless, especially in Henry's court.

The implication that Cromwell was driven by his loyalty to Wolsey is interesting, but I have never seen any historic evidence to back that up.

The acting is incredible--especially Mark Rylance. I can believe that Cromwell was lonely after his wife's death but it was jarring to see the character flirt with Anne Boleyn--Cromwell wasn't an idiot!

I love the costumes. I also like how the sets get so dark during the nighttime scenes.

All in all, I am enjoying it.

Will the PBS series ‘Wolf Hall’ tarnish St. Thomas More’s halo? - The Washington Post
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wolf Hall Recap: Cromwell the Serpent Makes an Appearance

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com//2...an-appearance/
Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Commoner

i've enjoyed watching the show very much. I do hope they make a miniseries of the author's other book about Cromwell"Bringing up the bodies".I think if Cromwell felt any loyalty to cardnial Wolsey, its because he too came from humble beginings like Cromwell, yet rose far above his station to be a real powerhouse mover and shaker.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The miniseries actually covers both books Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Commoner

Oh thanks,didn't know that. I thought it just covered the first book.And the second book took you to the point where Thomas Cromwell gets invovled in the whole Anne of Cleves disaster.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not blind to Anne's faults and I know that this is through Cromwell's eyes but I don't think I can watch this series. First I don't like to watch Anne's downfall and second I don't like hatchet jobs on Anne. I saw some clips of Claire and she appears to do her part well; she has more substance to her bad attitude than Natalie Portman in TOBG.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

BBC's Wolf Hall leads Bafta TV award nominations

BBC's Wolf Hall leads Bafta TV award nominations | Media | The Guardian