The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

Fellow Alias fan here and I could not get past Victor Garber in this role. It just was so off. Same with Jean Smart as Camilla.

I laughed through this movie. Some of the production value was just so shoddy - like Kate having a phone in 2007 that only came out in 2009-ish (I know because my niece & I have the same phone and she got hers about a year and a half ago, while I got mine last winter). And then there was the very obvious poetic license they took with W&K's romance. "Inspired by" is definitely the correct phrase to use, .

Overall, I think the Lifetime version was better, but I only watched that once, when it came out last spring. And I distinctly recall saying "well, that's two hours of my life I want back" after that one. This time, I was saying it in the middle of the movie but by then, I wanted to see just how much worse it could get, plus it was on my DVR so it really wasn't a full two hours wasted.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Without a doubt IMO this was the worst William and Catherine movie....Lifetime's was SO MUCH better.

The timeline was off: they had Harry at the fashion show where William so Catherine in a new light; the awful Diana videos (where did they get that wig---simply awful); the conversations between the Queen and Charles, where she does a run down on Charles's romance; Kate meeting the Queen several years before they actually met (and playing Wii Tennis with the Queen, seriously!); Phillip saying what about your uncle, Edward VII to the Queen about bad marriages/romances, when he was really her great grandfather.

Oh, the horrors! My electricity went off because of Hurricane Irene (and quickly came back on)....I am almost wished it stayed off it was so bad. I quickly deleted it from my DVR.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Wow. That sounds just about awful. I can understand poetic license for moments that were behind closed doors, but to get historical facts such as Edward VII being the Queen's great-grandfather is a bit much. Playing Wii with the Queen...that's really going overboard with the poetic license. Not that it's impossible, because I hear Her Majesty loves her technology, but for some reason I don't see that happening during a first meeting. Glad I missed this one. Would have been throwing things at the TV screen out of mere frustration.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Administrator

That was actually the 2nd or 3rd meeting. They have Catherine and the Queen meeting (was it at a Palace) when the Queen is playing something similar to horseshoe while it appears that she is meeting with people (perhaps the Commonwealth). Why the Queen would meet her grandson's girlfriend with a bunch of other people around?

I guess they missed the interview when Catherine said that the first time she met the Queen was at Peter's and Autumn's wedding.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Aristocracy

I think the first meeting, when the Queen was playing what appeared to be an African version of horseshoes, was supposed to be at William's 21st birthday party. And Charles was off entertaining little kids dressed like extras from The Lion King with magic tricks.

I wondered if the guy cast as Philip was just an extra with no lines until he spoke finally about the Queen's "great uncle Edward VII". Probably should have left it that way, lol.

This really was just an awful movie. In fact, so bad that I might need to dust off my Alias dvds to appreciate Victor Garber's fantastically bad-ass Jack Bristow.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Commoner

I enjoyed the movie somewhat, although it's not a great movie any more than greeting cards are great poetry. I liked the choice of actors, for the most part. Some parts of the script didn't ring true -- for example, the part where a drunken William says to Charles, that at least his exes are all still alive. I really don't think Prince William would talk to his father that way, even while intoxicated. I can, however, imagine Prince Charles saying (or thinking) that he has paid for his sins, and pays for them every day of his life. Nor do I think that William would really spend that much time watching his mother's "Panorama" interview, since in real life he was rather upset about it. But I suppose they were using artistic license to show Diana's influence on William.

Another blooper was when the Queen mentioned to Prince Charles that Princess Margaret hadn't been able to marry the man she loved "because he was a commoner". Actually, it was because he was divorced.

I did like the interviews with the actors on Hallmark's website; in fact, I think I enjoyed them even more than the movie!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbusby View Post
Does anyone know of a website that would have it online? i don't get hallmark and i'd like to see it... i've checked several but haven't been able to find it yet
Have you checked out Hulu? They might have it.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer View Post
Have you checked out Hulu? They might have it.
Thank you for the link,but it is written that Hulu movies can be watched only within US.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if this was indeed a British production because it seemed to be sucking up to the Queen and portraying her as this rich saint who doesn't really take all the money seriously. I do in fact believe she is not as anal as those around her, but not that much.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Courtier

To be honsest I hate these types of films. They are nearly always rather "cheap and sensational". Usually the facts are not entirely correct and characters are mostly portrayed in different ways. It must be aweful for the couple in question if they are still living.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Nobility

I thought it was okay but what ruined it for me was the portrayal of Carol Middleton. They used her for comic relief and made her look like a dolt. Very cruel, demeaning, untruthful, and unnecessary.

I kind of liked that they chose actors who could act rather than picking people who looked the part. There certainly wasn't as much detail as in the Lifetime movie but the acting was much better.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Haven't watched this movie yet, but judging from the comments, I'm anticipating it to be WORSE than the Lifetime movie, which is ironic because you'd think this one had more time to do research. Even before watching this, you can tell the low-quality of the production, even on the Hallmark Channel's website
http://hallmarkchannel.com/williamandcatherine/cast/Jean_Smart
Okay, I'll be lenient and ignore that it should say "HRH Prince William of Wales" (obviously, the storyline takes place before he became the Duke of Cambridge) and "HRH The Prince of Wales." Seriously, "HRH Princess Diana"? We've discussed many times on these forums about how Diana is incorrectly Princess Diana all the time...I will even let this one slide.
But seriously, "HRH Camilla Parker Bowles"????? I've ranted about how I hate when the media still calls the Duchess of Cornwall by her former married name. It's like she's still the evil mistress. She's MARRIED to Charles now, so she's got a title (and new name if you want to be republican about it, "Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor"). So not only did they incorrectly use her former name, they decided stick an "HRH" on something that's not even a title? It's like "Sorry, we decided to refer by your former name because we forgot you married Charles, but to make up for it, I'll still give you the HRH."
Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Majesty

I think that these movies in general are geared towards people who know next to nothing about royalty, and go by what they hear in the media. The fact that the Duchess of Cornwall is labeled as 'Camila Parker Bowles' in the film shows that the creators used inaccurate newspaper/news articles that referred to the Duchess by her former name. The average Joe that's looking for some sensation that can allow him to say 'I know something about the British Royals because I saw this film' will not really care about the correctness of titles or names. Now, those of us who know at least a little bit are appalled by such inaccuracies, and are ready to tear the film to shreds (and rightfully so), because those inaccuracies tend to get on one's nerves rather fast, thanks to the press who starts them up in the first place.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well isn't Diana being called Princess Diana inaccurate as well? And people are still calling Kate, Kate Middleton. Clearly the people who write the stories and movies only care about the people being known, not addressing them the appropriate way. When people say Camilla Parker Bowles, they know who is being talked about; if you say the Duchess of Cornwall, there is no guarantee that the majority of the population will know who is being referenced.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Well isn't Diana being called Princess Diana inaccurate as well? And people are still calling Kate, Kate Middleton. Clearly the people who write the stories and movies only care about the people being known, not addressing them the appropriate way. When people say Camilla Parker Bowles, they know who is being talked about; if you say the Duchess of Cornwall, there is no guarantee that the majority of the population will know who is being referenced.
And the press is to blame (at least partially) for that. I've noticed when I read articles that deal with the Cambridges or the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, that Catherine is almost always 'Kate Middleton' and Duchess of Cornwall is 'Camila Parker-Bowles'. If this is what people see in the news time after time, they'll never know the correct information. I'm beginning to wonder if the press thinks the readers are ignorant and have no idea about the correctness of titles, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

To be honest, not most people outside of the England or perhaps the UK is going to take the time to learn all the titles and what is not right in what to call these women. I have been interested in the BRF since the late 90s and only this year have I ever heard that Diana's appropriate title was not Princess Diana, and that Princess Michael of Kent was not a woman who's parents wanted to give her a boys name.
I believe that even after Sarah Ferguson got married she was still called Sarah Ferguson or Fergie. It is not some form of discredit to the woman, it is just what the world has come to know them as and as a result they are still referred to that. I have always heard President Bush and President Obama constantly referred to as George Bush and Barack Obama, not giving them the appropriate title that they have in fact earned.
It is just habit that people have; especially with Kate and Camilla who have gone by their former names for so many years, it is hard to all of a sudden just change it in newspapers and confuse your readers. Same reason why female movie stars tend not to change their names if they get married.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
To be honest, not most people outside of the England or perhaps the UK is going to take the time to learn all the titles and what is not right in what to call these women. I have been interested in the BRF since the late 90s and only this year have I ever heard that Diana's appropriate title was not Princess Diana, and that Princess Michael of Kent was not a woman who's parents wanted to give her a boys name.
I believe that even after Sarah Ferguson got married she was still called Sarah Ferguson or Fergie. It is not some form of discredit to the woman, it is just what the world has come to know them as and as a result they are still referred to that. I have always heard President Bush and President Obama constantly referred to as George Bush and Barack Obama, not giving them the appropriate title that they have in fact earned.
It is just habit that people have; especially with Kate and Camilla who have gone by their former names for so many years, it is hard to all of a sudden just change it in newspapers and confuse your readers. Same reason why female movie stars tend not to change their names if they get married.
By the same logic, the press should have called Diana, "(Lady) Diana Spencer" a lot more? Also the Countess of Wessex is rarely called Sophie Ryhs-Jones anymore, even though she continued using her maiden for her career early on in her marriage (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe Diana and Charles' courtship was so short that everyone got used to calling her, incorrectly, Princess Diana? Maybe Sophie is a much less followed royal by the media? I get that this is a habit that people can't always break, but if they're going to mess up the names of female royals, I'd at least like to see it messed up equally and in the same way.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

You already answered your question, Diana's courtship was short and Sophia is not a widely popular royal.
Plus I have already mentioned that Diana was addressed improperly in news reports as Princess Diana when that was not her title.