"When Ant & Dec Met The Prince: 40 Years of The Prince's Trust" (2016) - ITV Doco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dman

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
"When Ant & Dec Met The Prince: 40 Years of The Prince's Trust" (2016) - ITV Doco

When Ant and Dec Met The Prince: 40 Years of The Prince's Trust:

Today on ITV from 9:00pm to 10:30pm-

"Ant and Dec get an insight into the work of The Prince's Trust in this one-off special. They accompany HRH The Prince of Wales on a number of engagements, meeting people who have benefited directly from the charity, and witnessing first-hand the passion that The Prince has for the trust he founded in 1976. The duo speak candidly to The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Prince Harry - who share some amusing and touching stories about their lives with the prince. Ant and Dec join Prince Charles on a visit to HM Prison Parc, to see the work the charity does there with young offenders, and attend a function at The Prince's Welsh home near Llwynywermod. As they reflect on their own 40 years, Ant and Dec return to Newcastle, and pay an emotional visit to the set of Byker Grove. While there, the pair meet up with fellow Geordie Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, who takes them around her childhood haunts and shares her experiences as an ambassador for The Prince's Trust. SUB Stereo
Documentary"

TV Guide | What's on TV - ITV

I hope the programme will be available for those living outside the UK sooner or later!

I'm sure someone will upload the doc on YouTube.

Well I do hope that everyone that wants to watch it gets the opportunity, I thought it was ruddy brilliant.

I know Ant and Dec might not be to everyone's taste but I felt we got such a brilliant look into the Prince's Trust and a bit of the private life of the family.

The life that the Trust has provided for so many people is probably something that so many people who are anti the Royal Family and Prince Charles really don't know about, but has obviously made such a difference to so many people :flowers:

Here is a link to the video of the Ant and Dec programme on the Trust. I found it very moving in parts, actually. Young people on work experience who got a job in a store due to the Trust, who cried when they heard the good news for example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngRwaDxilY

I watched parts of the programme and it was a fascinating insight into Charles' daily life. It was heartening to see him meet with people who have benefitted from the Princes Trust including prisoners.
It was also good to see Camilla speaking about her admiration for Charles' work.

Ant and Dec were quite distracting most of the time - I can't imagine we will see them interviewing any other royals soon.

I loved the doc. Ant and Dec did a pretty good job, but I think it did highlight some of the great things The Prince's Trust has done and continues to do for people.

I enjoyed Charles, William and Harry's interviews. I also enjoyed Camilla's short comments about Charles and the Trust. I think she did a pretty good job, I don't know why her and Charles haven't done a joint interview yet. I think she would have some great things to say about her role as Charles's wife and the work she has done since joining the royal family. They could have included Catherine in the interview with William and Harry. I'm sure she's also proud of the many accomplishments of her father-in-law. Stop hiding the wives and let them say a couple of syllables.

Last edited:
Really? You could sell tickets to that one. You can guess the first question

I don't see anything wrong with them doing an interview about their roles, the people they meet and the causes they support. It don't have to be one of those in depth Oprah or Barbara Walters type of interviews.

I don't see anything wrong with them doing an interview about their roles, the people they meet and the causes they support. It don't have to be one of those in depth Oprah or Barbara Walters type of interviews.

I would love to see an interview of Camilla and Charles as I think they work really well together. However you'd have to be naive to not expect that just about any self respecting journalist is going to touch on their affair, divorces, and Diana. You'd also have to be naive to not expect them to say that that aspect of their personal lives is off limits - which would either limit the journalist in what they can talk about, or just guarantee it's going to be something they ask about causing problems in the interview.

Hmmm very interesting. No idea who Ant and Dec are (an English thing I suppose) but some of their antics were amusing...but it does wear after a bit.

Since they spent a year with him...is this going to be a weekly series?

LaRae

I would love to see an interview of Camilla and Charles as I think they work really well together. However you'd have to be naive to not expect that just about any self respecting journalist is going to touch on their affair, divorces, and Diana. You'd also have to be naive to not expect them to say that that aspect of their personal lives is off limits - which would either limit the journalist in what they can talk about, or just guarantee it's going to be something they ask about causing problems in the interview.

I think that's more of an in depth interviews, and I'm not talking about that. They could setup an interview talking about their work and royal duties. It would be nice to see a short interview with them. I don't know what William & Catherine are waiting on though. I just don't see the point in hiding the wives.

Hmmm very interesting. No idea who Ant and Dec are (an English thing I suppose) but some of their antics were amusing...but it does wear after a bit.

Since they spent a year with him...is this going to be a weekly series?

LaRae

I'm wondering the same thing, because that doc didn't seem like a year's worth of filming. Unless they cut a great deal.

Last edited:
I don't really see any royal interviews with Charles and Camilla or William and Kate happening anytime in the future. I don't think they give interviews just for the sake of doing an interview.

This documentary made with Ant and Dec was a very unique one off kind of a thing and the purpose of the entire thing was to highlight 40 years of the Prince's Trust and those involved. From what I understood, Charles, himself, had the upper hand in deciding just who would do the documentary and he picked Ant and Dec. It could have been anyone else in the world most likely, but Ant and Dec were his choice. I've not been able to watch the documentary myself but from what I've read in comments, Ant and Dec gave the whole program a light hearted side along with the focus on the Prince's Trust and that is exactly what I think Charles had in mind.

I think the choice of Ant and Dec is good in that is attracts a difference audience as they have their own fans and I think more people in general will be inclined to watch something they are presenting rather than a more serious journalist.
That being said choosing them is also clever as it guarantees IMO a certain lack of tough questions.

Here is a link to the video of the Ant and Dec programme on the Trust. I found it very moving in parts, actually. Young people on work experience who got a job in a store due to the Trust, who cried when they heard the good news for example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngRwaDxilY
Thank you so much Curryong for posting a link that I could access here in the U.S.:)

So enjoyed hearing from those who had benefited from participating in the Trust. My favorite was the very young butler.

Thanks to all that posted the YouTube link for the documentary. I just did a quick look at it and it is closed captioned so I will be able to enjoy it to the fullest. I will be watching it later on tonight and looking forward to it very much but alas, it doesn't trump watching a new episode of NCIS which is about to air here in about 15 minutes. Time to get popcorn and a Pepsi and settle in for some good viewing tonight. :D

I was nice to see that Charles has a private cinema at Clarence House. It's what all us guys want.

When Ant and Dec Met The Prince: 40 Years of The Prince's Trust ITV Documenta...

I thoroughly enjoyed the program and found it quite charming. Prince Charles' press office accomplished exactly what they wanted by portraying him as hard working yet human. Ant and Dec were a great choice ( tho I'm not familiar with them) .... Their comedy allowed Prince Charles to be funny and yet still the most revered person in the room. It was a great PR coup.

I enjoyed the program and wanted more. It was billed as 90 minutes but was only 68. (I know the commercials were removed but I still wanted my 90 minutes worth.)

I liked the intimate way they went through all the royal residences. We received an insider, closeup view to the layout. We were privileged to see the drive and roads taken, the back and side entrances, the kitchen, the courtyards and a great aerial view of the Kensington Palace.

I appreciated the videos of Charles as a baby, as a toddler and in the Navy.

It was a great video but not really a documentary.

Although I very much enjoyed the behind the scenes tours of Clarence House, Dumfries House, St. James' Palace, Llwynywermod.and Kensington Palace and wanted to see more of the rooms and houses, the documentary failed to live up to its billing.

The documentary was billed as following the Prince of Wales for a year to highlight 40 years of the Prince's Trust but it did not meet its objective.

It should have been titled, 'Behind the scene with the Prince of Wales as the Prince's Trust celebrates it 40th anniversary

They did not follow the Prince of Wales for a year.

The first meeting was May 13, 2015
Prince Charles hosts Prince's Trust Reception at St James' Palace
Prince Charles visits retailer Marks & Spencer for Prince's Trust job training.
Ant & Dec interviewing Prince Charles at Clarence House while walking and the movies.
(Prince Charles had 4 engagements that day but they only followed two.)

July 6, 2015 Monday
Prince Charles visits Prince's Trust prison training program
Prince Charles and Camilla host a reception for the Prince's Trust in the Llwynywermod garage.
Camilla says a few words to Ant & Dec before joining the reception.

September 9, 2015 Wednesday
Dinner at Dumfries House.for Prince's Trust

The sit down interview that they claim was filmed on September 10, 2015 was probably filmed on a different day. Charles had quite a bit of engagements on the 10th and the clothes from the interview do not match the clothes worn on the engagements. The interview suit is grey pinstripe. The engagements on the 10th are in a blue suit without pinstripes.

It was interesting seeing exactly what & how the Prince's Trust had helped people but 10 minutes was devoted to William & Harry and probably the same amount to Ant & Dec that was not related to the Prince's Trust so ITV owes me 42 minutes. :lol:

Ant & Dec only followed Charles for a few outings during only 4 months. They still owe me 8 months.:lol:

Is the programm available for viewing outside the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the program and wanted more. It was billed as 90 minutes but was only 68. (I know the commercials were removed but I still wanted my 90 minutes worth.)

I liked the intimate way they went through all the royal residences. We received an insider, closeup view to the layout. We were privileged to see the drive and roads taken, the back and side entrances, the kitchen, the courtyards and a great aerial view of the Kensington Palace.

I appreciated the videos of Charles as a baby, as a toddler and in the Navy.

It was a great video but not really a documentary.

Although I very much enjoyed the behind the scenes tours of Clarence House, Dumfries House, St. James' Palace, Llwynywermod.and Kensington Palace and wanted to see more of the rooms and houses, the documentary failed to live up to its billing.

The documentary was billed as following the Prince of Wales for a year to highlight 40 years of the Prince's Trust but it did not meet its objective.

It should have been titled, 'Behind the scene with the Prince of Wales as the Prince's Trust celebrates it 40th anniversary

They did not follow the Prince of Wales for a year.

The first meeting was May 13, 2015
Prince Charles hosts Prince's Trust Reception at St James' Palace
Prince Charles visits retailer Marks & Spencer for Prince's Trust job training.
Ant & Dec interviewing Prince Charles at Clarence House while walking and the movies.
(Prince Charles had 4 engagements that day but they only followed two.)

July 6, 2015 Monday
Prince Charles visits Prince's Trust prison training program
Prince Charles and Camilla host a reception for the Prince's Trust in the Llwynywermod garage.
Camilla says a few words to Ant & Dec before joining the reception.

September 9, 2015 Wednesday
Dinner at Dumfries House.for Prince's Trust

The sit down interview that they claim was filmed on September 10, 2015 was probably filmed on a different day. Charles had quite a bit of engagements on the 10th and the clothes from the interview do not match the clothes worn on the engagements. The interview suit is grey pinstripe. The engagements on the 10th are in a blue suit without pinstripes.

It was interesting seeing exactly what & how the Prince's Trust had helped people but 10 minutes was devoted to William & Harry and probably the same amount to Ant & Dec that was not related to the Prince's Trust so ITV owes me 42 minutes. :lol:

Ant & Dec only followed Charles for a few outings during only 4 months. They still owe me 8 months.:lol:

I actually have to agree. It was a nice enough program, but not what it was advertised as. I thought they would have followed him some more. It felt like it was alot of fillers with them sillying around. And I have no problem with them being silly, I get it, it draws viewers, just as putting William and Harry in it does. It's clever and reaches an audience that wouldn't otherwise get information about the princes trust. But I felt it was ALOT of giggling, drinking and time-eating from Ant and Dec...

I'm not sure what I felt about it - it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

On the plus side it certainly highlighted the work the trust does and the amount of work the Prince does on its behalf. The interviews with those who have been helped by it and the film of the trust's work was good to see (especially the reactions of those trainees when they were told they had jobs).

I also agree that the fact it was presented by Ant & Dec would bring it an audience it would not otherwise get.

Having said that, Ant & Dec began to annoy me after a while. I don't think the interviews with Camilla, William and Harry added anything. All they could really say was how proud they are of the Prince (which I took for granted anyway) and I know I will get slammed for saying this but, I didn't think the parts of the interview with William where he spoke about his own experience of being a father had any place in this particular programme. I would rather have seen more interviews with those helped by the trust.

And as charming as they were, I don't think the home movies had a place in this particular programme.

Maybe Ant & Dec should have done two programmes - one about the Prince's Trust and one about the Royal Family then they could have shown the charming home movies and interviewed William about his own experiences of fatherhood to their heart's content.

There's quite a lengthy contract broadcasters must sign before Clarence House will agree to interviews.

The contract gives Clarence House the right to take part in various stages of the editing process and to pull the interview “in its entirety” if it is not satisfied with the finished package.

So Charles himself is obviously pleased with the final cut.

I'm personally not a fan of Ant and Dec but it did give the program a wider audience

Agree with Queen Camilla post #23 that we were sold short. there wasn't enough about the Trust - too much Ant and Dec (too jokey by half); W&H not concentrating on the charity work (too army, not enough Prince).

I wanted to hear more from the recipients of the Trust; I'm interested in how the Trust does its work and I wanted more Charles.

Happy to have seen the programme, but it just left me wanting something more substantial.

Back
Top Bottom