"W.E" (2012) - Film produced by Madonna on the Abdication of Edward VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Southern people do not necessarily give their children stupid names. There are some southerners who have pretty, nice, and normal names.
Plus I don't think Geneva is a stupid name and it is also a name of a city somewhere in Europe; and naming your child after a place can work out for the best: Asia, Virginia, Brooklyn, Dallas, one of my best friends is named after Guadalupe, etc.
Plus other people not from the south have given their children dumb names, Gwyneth Paltrow anybody?
Glad you said STUPID because I did not.
A lot of Southern names are family surnames. They are Southern after all.

Please remove the above if I have gone too far off thread.

I found something which I think is interesting. A few statistics about the use of the name "Wallis" in the USA. The highest usage is in those people who are in the 70 year age group. Wallis Simpson and her notoriety would have been at a height 70 + years ago. Did her fame lead a lot of American parents to call their children after her. ?

Spokeo People Search | Find People Named Wallis

Today we seem to be highly influenced by celebrities with many people naming their children after them. Maybe W.E. will bring the name "Wallis" to a new generation with people finding her a romantic figure and subsequently call their daughters after her. ??

God I hope not. Wallis is an atrocious name for a girl and Bessie is hardly any better. I have no idea where some of you live that you think cutesy names for girls are the norm; I have never met a Bambi, Barbie, Bunny or Flower in my life. The only problems I have been told about is from the older generation warning me not to give my children ethnic sounding names.

Need.to.see.the.movie. Buy the way anyone know when it comes out here in the US and if it's an independent of worldwide premier movie?

I saw the trailer for this just last week; it looks so intriguing.

The only thing that gives me pause is that it's a Madonna project; she isn't exactly known for her skill in movies. Hope it isn't a lot of schlock! :ohmy:

God I hope not. Wallis is an atrocious name for a girl and Bessie is hardly any better. I have no idea where some of you live that you think cutesy names for girls are the norm; I have never met a Bambi, Barbie, Bunny or Flower in my life. The only problems I have been told about is from the older generation warning me not to give my children ethnic sounding names.

Am not mad about Bessie either. Don't know about cutsey names but certainly many young kids with whom I have come into contact with through work have been named after celebrities, i.e. Kylie, Beyonce, Shania etc. We also had loads of Crystals and Alexis's after Dynasty became huge over here.
While these names may have been common in other parts of the world they would not have been in use here in Ireland until these celebrities appeared on the scene.

Last edited:
I saw the trailer for this just last week; it looks so intriguing.

The only thing that gives me pause is that it's a Madonna project; she isn't exactly known for her skill in movies. Hope it isn't a lot of schlock! :ohmy:

The film has been getting a lot of trailer coverage here in the past few weeks.

I haven't seen one trailer or any kind of advert for the film.

I've seen several trailers on TV. If I remember correctly the voiceover says 'one of the greatest love stories of all time' or something to that effect.

Official release date is 3 February 2012.

Here is the official trailer
(comingsoon.net)

v poster
reproduced as promotional material

Attachments

• WE.jpg
    WE.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 116
February 3rd is the release date for the USA.
It hits the cinemas in Ireland and the UK on January 20th.
Some other European countries won't receive it until March and April.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably end up seeing it, I've always found this "love story" off-the-charts fascinating. It's just anything attached to Madonna's name-*shudder*. :whistling:

The mere fact that it has Natalie Dormer is great; she looks perfect in the role as the Duchess of York and I adore how her hairstyle is so accurate for the time period.

The mere fact that it has Natalie Dormer is great; she looks perfect in the role as the Duchess of York and I adore how her hairstyle is so accurate for the time period.

Well, it has secured one Golden Globe Award for -

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
"Masterpiece" - W.E.
Music & Lyrics by: Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry

I heard about those comments Elton made just yesterday on a radio program. I have to smile at the idea that she did beat his rude butt! When you out diva Madonna you have definitely gone too far.

I'll probably end up seeing it, I've always found this "love story" off-the-charts fascinating. It's just anything attached to Madonna's name-*shudder*. :whistling:

That's what I said! :ROFLMAO:

Just the fact that it's a Madonna project...her other ventures into film have been horrendous.

(That Best Song award might have a second meaning- like, stick to music?!)

:previous: She was nominated for Best Actress (Golden Globes) in "Evita".

3 stars out of 5,not bad Breffney!

I agree, An Ard Ri. It looks though as if the modern tale may be taking from the film somewhat which is what many people were afraid of.

Oh, I see that someone has posted a reply to the review. This person seemed to enjoy the film so much so that they went back to see it again. That is good news. :flowers:

Uh-oh...the review in the Telegraph is horrendous!

I didn't expect much but surely it can't be that bad??
I don't think I've ever read a worse review!

Madonna's W.E., review - Telegraph

Pretty similar to other reviews I have read, and about the same as the response of friends of mine who saw it at Toronto film Festival and they were Madonna fans. I think I will wait until it is on dvd or perhaps tv.

W.E up for an Oscar for Costume Design, they're against
"Anonymous" Lisy Christl
"The Artist" Mark Bridges
"Hugo" Sandy Powell
"Jane Eyre" Michael O'Connor

And didn't Madonna win the Golden Globe for Evita?

She did, in 1997 for best musical/comdey.

Re: W.E., seeing it in the cinema is causing problems. It isn't showing in a cinema close to me (I automatically assumed that it would be). Plans to travel and see it this past week went out the window owing to a bereavement in the family.

Catching it on DVD may be my only option.

The film doesn't come out on wide release until Feb 3rd so you might stand a chance of seeing it at a local cinema after that.

:argh: I am one of those people who can't go to the movies and not buy popcorn! So that is going to add up to about $20 if I go see this movie in theaters. I really wish I had a job.

Back
Top Bottom