The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

If the film doesn't receive good reviews (and so far it seems a bit mixed) than I don't think it will be successful.

Let's face it an English period drama (which I happen to love) has a 50/50 chance for being financially successful for every The King's Speech there is another one that just plays for the art houses (but might be deemed a financial success because of the budget and the number of sheathes it is playing in).

But I think that those who like Madonna will see it nonetheless although they haven't seen all of her bad movies.
------------------

and for the record, I like Madonna's music I just don't care for her public persona. I have no way of knowing what she is like personally.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Critic reviews don't hold the same power that they did years ago, and it is possible for a film to be successful even with negative reviews. It just depends what is the producer's definition of "successful" is...

The Social Network was positively reviewed and did well financially through word-of-mouth yet relatively bombed in awards season (and thus didn't live up to the critics' expectations nor projections)

Since W.E. is being produced by The Weinstein brothers, it is likely the film will be edited to make it more award-friendly. Movies shown at festivals aren't always the final version seen by us in cinemas.

I think fans of Madonna and those interested in royalty (especially the Wallis/Edward romance) will see the movie. Perhaps those who want to go just to jeer might end up liking it, but the main thing is that critics and reviews mean NOTHING.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I disagree somewhat. Based on the previews I couldn't wait to see The Green Lantern but based on the reviews and word of mouth, I actually passed. And the movie bombed (because of the reviews and the fact that is was just bad) so reviews for some do mean something.

Likewise I wanted to see The Young Victoria, it did receive good reviews but because it was a relatively small house movie (it was in a couple of theaters for a brief period of time in the DC area) it was hard to find and than it was gone. But I snapped it up the first week it was released on DVD. The King's Speech actually started that way and than made its way in the multiplex.

And while I enjoy Harvey Weinsten movies...he has been known to make a bad movie or two. So his moniker or hand in the pot won't make a bit of difference if the movie is bad and is linked with Madonna. As to the Social Network it was an excellent movie, but the award season in the States is more of a catch up thing. You had a feel good movie about an honourable man who overcame something vs a not so nice guy who invented something. Of course the honourable man won out!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Courtier

I agree with you about Weinstein, I was just making the point of saying that he'll try anything for an award; the Weinstein name has become a synonym for "made for awards" films. But as you said, and I agree, that doesn't guarantee a good movie.

Movies are subjective (as is all art). Instead of The Green Lantern bombing because of the critics, it probably did so because of word-of-mouth as you mentioned.

Does this film prove Madonna should stick to music? Absolutely. There are enough directors out there (and female ones, since she's trying to make a point of getting a female POV across in W.E.) that it would be best if Madonna put her full attention and effort into music (her comparative advantage, so to speak).
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Courtier

If the film portrays the "CORRECT" facts and not cheap, sensational exaggerations, I see no reason why the film should not be shown in Great Britian. After all, it does represent some significant events around British history. Not certain about people hating the Windsors but then again let us hope that the facts are portrayed correctly.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Well box office receipts will tell all. So far the reviews have been poor and unless the word of mouth from initial limited release is very very good this film could fade into oblivion pretty quickly.
I don't think the great British public think too much one way or the other about the Duke & Duchess of Windsor. Kids today would probably have to do a wiki search to have an idea who this couple is, or if they do have an idea its the man who gave up the throne for the woman he loved story they would have a vague remembrance of their parents or grandparents talking about.

It was actually an America comedian who made the "Hates hyrdangeas, loves Hitler" joke last night, as well as hoping she will drop her fake British accent before returning to NYC.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/wefilm
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-festival.html
I think it is being shown?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well box office receipts will tell all. So far the reviews have been poor and unless the word of mouth from initial limited release is very very good this film could fade into oblivion pretty quickly.
that's too bad. I'm rather fond of Natalie Dormer. Perhaps this movie will still help her career. I think she's got some good stuff in her.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Canadians in general are a pretty polite lot, so unlike the Venice Film Festival audiances are unlikely to be rolling in the aisles laughing.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
that's too bad. I'm rather fond of Natalie Dormer. Perhaps this movie will still help her career. I think she's got some good stuff in her.
Critics can always recognise a stellar performance in a horrible film, so even if the film continues to receive negative reviews Natalie can still stand out and receive the attention she deserves.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile
She was an amazing in the Tudors! She's also going to be in Game of Thrones, one of my favorite shows! Infinitely more excited to see her in that than W.E.

Sorry, doesn't matter what the movie is about. I loathe Madonna as much as she loathes Hydrageas. Her making a movie when she shouldn't be anywhere near a movie set is laughable!! The movie could be more awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear during an explosion in space and I still would not see it. She can't act and I doubt her directing would be much better!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna for being old, a b----, or anything else. How about the movie people! In reference to the movie, I wish she hadn't have named it W.E. I understand that Wallis&Edward is overused, but come on Madonna!
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Majesty

Or tittering politely up our sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well Canadians in general are a pretty polite lot, so unlike the Venice Film Festival audiances are unlikely to be rolling in the aisles laughing.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna for being old, a b----, or anything else. How about the movie people! In reference to the movie, I wish she hadn't have named it W.E. I understand that Wallis&Edward is overused, but come on Madonna!

I agree about the title. You know there's going to be people who say it wrong (e.g. "w-eeee" or "W dot E dot"). Anything else would've been a better title.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've already heard someone call it "WE". Is it too late for a new title?
Oooo, I just thought of a good movie that jumps through time; Fried Green Tomatoes. I guess such a movie that is actually good does exist.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Courtier

W.E. will premiere at Toronto IFF on Monday the 12th and show again on Tuesday the 13th
TIFF updated - W.E.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
I agree about the title. You know there's going to be people who say it wrong (e.g. "w-eeee" or "W dot E dot"). Anything else would've been a better title.
Well,she just wanted to use a classical title,but you know here in Russia the original title was not kept,maybe that Wallis and Edward's story is not very well-known to the Russian public,but for some reasons in Russian the movie's title is translated like this :"We Believe in Love".
Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Aristocracy

I already think of it as WE lol.

I do have a desire to see this movie, despite who made it and the reviews I've read about. For one, even if its not the best thing, I have to see it just because it has to do with the BRF. For two, I don't rely on critics reviews. I like a lot of stuff the critics did'nt.

To make up for the fact that its Madonna making it... I won't watch it till its on the movie channels... thus Madonna will not get a penny from me but I can still enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM

I'd like to see this, like EchoLynn, I'd rather make up my own mind than have the critics do it for me. From what I've seen of it so far, it looks to be quite a good little picture.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna...
Yes, this thread is to discuss "W.E." the film.
Madonna has her own thread in Members' Corner which can be found here.

thanks,

Warren
Royal Library moderator