The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The director of Black Swan was interviewed on telly this evening, and kind of said that W.E was going to compete with The King's Speech on the same level. I nearly died of laughter. Even without Madonna, and a crappy parallel storyline - it wouldn't compete with that fantastic film.

If it didn't have the 'bringing it to modern viewing' bit, i'd probably watch it.

Yes, I do wish directors and writers realised audiences are intelligent enough to follow the historical storyline without being told what's happening through the eyes of a modern woman/man. It's degrading really...

Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I've never liked Madonna, mainly because of her name...
Mainly because of her name?? And here I thought maybe it was something of substance which helped form your opinion lol

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

NnnnnnEeeeeWay
I HATE movies like this that jump back and forth in time, the time jump usually serves no purpose. And I am not one of those people who can't watch a movie based 2000 years ago. We don't need skyscrappers and iphones to identify with people in a movie.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't allow the opinions of others to dictate what I should or should not watch. I can't judge something based on anothers biased view. I'll see it at some point and if I don't like it, then I don't like it.

It's all interpretive with perhaps slithers of truth's in any case.

I recall when I saw Marie Antoinette. I enjoyed the film for it's cinematic magnificence. It was lush and made so contemporary yet did justice to the era in which it was set. I think transcending time or at least, relating cultures or social trends and moods, be those sub or greater, can work if done diligently.

I was dissapointed by the ending though as i'd have liked the trial and consequential execution to have been depicted but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Have you heard that the Madonna movie is getting Oscar buzz?
Yes- Madonna's Uncle Oscar says it's the greatest movie he's ever seen!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Mainly because of her name?? And here I thought maybe it was something of substance which helped form your opinion lol
Ahh well you would be wrong. I don't like her name, and the fact that she acts like a 20 year old and IMO doing this film with the aim of having a revenge pop at her ex husband also influences my decision that I don't like her and never will.

Like I said, if she hadn't bothered to add the 'modern' day bit, I would go watch it due to my interest in the core subject it's about.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
NnnnnnEeeeeWay
I HATE movies like this that jump back and forth in time, the time jump usually serves no purpose. And I am not one of those people who can't watch a movie based 2000 years ago. We don't need skyscrappers and iphones to identify with people in a movie.
SoI take it you didn't enjoy Julie/Julia?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Her name's quite ironic considering her rather blasphemous use of religious iconography. Of course, in today's world, that perhaps adds to her "brand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Blasphemous? Is this 16th century Italy?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Majesty

i'm not a fan of Madonna, so almost automatically, I'm a little wary of this film. The topic itself sounds intriguing, but I think I'll wait for more feedback before choosing to see or to skip it.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
I've never liked Madonna, mainly because of her name...
If you don't like the name, direct your displeasure at her very Roman Catholic parents.
Her birth name is Madonna Louise Ciccone and she goes by the name of... Madonna. Gasp!
Madonna was also her late mother's first name.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Gentry

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here is the trailer which is up on youtube. It's the long version which contains both timelines.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Madonna's W.E To Show At London Film Festival.The movie will have its British premiere at the London Film Festival in October.

Madonna | Madonna's W.E To Show At London Film Festival | Contactmusic
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassary View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here is the trailer which is up on youtube. It's the long version which contains both timelines.
This isn't the official trailer (that hasn't been released yet) but clips that were available to the press in Venice. I suppose someone just edited them together.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Gentry

Thank American Dane I wasn't aware of that. Was wondering why IMDB which normally gets the trailers first didn't have this.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

British peeps will freak if she shows it there. I actually think it should be shown EVERYWHERE but in GB.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Majesty

The clip is intriguing. The scene with Wallis and Edward does seem to be like their relationship actually was.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
British peeps will freak if she shows it there. I actually think it should be shown EVERYWHERE but in GB.
Erm, freak? Why? About what?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
... Why?

That makes zero sense. It's a film about British history. If it's inaccurate, those inaccuracies will be noted in the press and people will move on.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why may we 'freak' at her showing it in our cinemas? AFAIK, it will be shown in the UK January time.