The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry I don't remember Madonna being in Die Another Day; I have never seen a James Bond movie BUT when it comes to that movie all I ever heard was that she sang the theme song.
It's sad that when it comes to acting that everyone remembers Swept Away and forgets how good she was in earlier films.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is the review from the Guardian, not encouraging but perhaps reviews will be better in America.
W.E. | Film review | Xan Brooks | Film | The Guardian

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

W.E.: Venice Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

To people who are going to see the film, what do you think of Andrea as Wallis, most of what I have heard about her is she is very beautiful; perhaps to beautiful to play Wallis.
I love Natalie Dormer, and I'm sad that she is playing the Queen Mother; again probably an actress who is too beautiful in comparison to the real life person.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Madonna's metamorphosis: Fresh-faced star flutters around the red carpet in a butterfly dress | Mail Online
Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Venice Film Festival, Day Two: Madonna's W.E. is Forgettable; Polanski's Carnage Giddily Enjoyable - Thompson on Hollywood
And so to today’s films. To say W.E. divided critics would be an understatement. In particular sections of the British press, who seemed pre-disposed to dislike it because of Madonna’s participation, turned vicious. Some US and Australian reactions, among others, were more favourable.
My view on W.E. was that it’s silly and forgettable, but you could choose to be appalled or amused by it, and I chose the latter. It’s rather better than expected; it’s not without its endearing moments. Still, a Madonna film that deals partly with the love affair between King Edward VIII and Mrs. Simpson is undeniably a strange concoction. Madonna (who also co-scripted with Alex Keshishian) has fashioned a split-level story of two couples: the Windsors, and the growing attraction between Wally Winthrop (Abbie Cornish), a contempo Manhattan woman, and Evgeni (Oscar Isaac), a handsome Russian working the security detail at Sotheby’s. Wally, unhappily married, has inherited her mother’s and grandmother’s obsession with Wallis and Edward (played by Andrea Riseborough and James d’Arcy). She doggedly researches their lives, seeking clues about how to live her own. In extreme moments, Wallis Simpson actually appears to her, offering advice – including “Get a life!” W.E. skips around in time, tracing the Windsors’ budding romance, the scandal and Edward’s abdication. Meanwhile Wally’s affair with the hunky Evgeni blossoms.
In presenting these intertwined stories Madonna keeps the emotional level on overload. Abel Korzoniowski’s crashingly loud music thrums repetitively. Madonna’s familiarity with pop videos is evident from her focussing on arresting images: a teardrop in close-up, welling from an unblinking eye.
It all looks good, or at least glossy, in the manner of high-end cosmetics commercials. Exotic locations (Portofino, Cap d’Antibes) are visited, and luxury brand names (Moet, Cartier, Schiaparelli) dropped. Wally pays repeatedly visits an auction of the Windsors’ possessions; W.E. often feels like an extended infomercial for Sotheby’s New York. Yet Riseborough and Cornish acquit themselves well, and W.E. may appeal to younger female audiences intrigued by fashion. One suspects Madonna views the Windsors primarily as style icons; her version of their lives is a fantasia that will not trouble historians. (She seems to condone Edward and Wallis’s cozy relationship with the Third Reich.) Yet after a surfeit of dull, dutiful books and stale, plodding TV documentaries about this unappealing couple, this frivolous, over the top treatment almost seems a relief.

The critics already hate Madonna's new movie | Film | Newswire | The A.V. Club

I wonder if its about Madonna being the regisseur or the movie simply being bad.

Yesterday Madonna presented herself as a diva, at the press conference a fan gave her some flowers and she put them away muttering I hate such flowers (although she acknowledged that it wasnt the fan's fault).
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
To people who are going to see the film, what do you think of Andrea as Wallis, most of what I have heard about her is she is very beautiful; perhaps to beautiful to play Wallis.
I love Natalie Dormer, and I'm sad that she is playing the Queen Mother; again probably an actress who is too beautiful in comparison to the real life person.

Completely agree
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm sorry I don't remember Madonna being in Die Another Day; I have never seen a James Bond movie BUT when it comes to that movie all I ever heard was that she sang the theme song.
It's sad that when it comes to acting that everyone remembers Swept Away and forgets how good she was in earlier films.
Blink & you would have missed her in it.Madge played a fencing instructor in that movie.

Die Another Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Yesterday Madonna presented herself as a diva, at the press conference a fan gave her some flowers and she put them away muttering I hate such flowers (although she acknowledged that it wasnt the fan's fault).
I saw footage of that & I think he was a reporter,old Madge has a love/hate relationship with the press.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

So far even the best reviews seem less than glowing. It probably would have been best to leave out the modern Wally story, prehaps showing Wallis & David as seniors reflecting back at their lives, how each recalled the events leading up to the abdication/marriage.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Courtier

I agree. Most of the reviews I've seen have said the set and wardrobe is stunning but have been consistently negative about the Wally (modern day) storyline. The only movie I've seen that has worked a period piece and modern storyline together is The Hours, and that was only because Meryl Streep is competent enough to hold a movie up. Abbie Cornish isn't.
I'm still going to see it though once it reaches Australia
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Saw a bit of the film on the news at 1 basically it's a sympathetic view of Wallis and the 'terrible' life she was 'forced' to lead when Edward abdicated. I am a fan of the true Edward and Wallis story but I won't be seeing this film, I would have if it had been portrayed more realistically.
I've never liked Madonna, mainly because of her name but she's just too much.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Courtier

More reviews:

The Telegraph - 3/5 stars

Time Out London - 2/5 stars

The Independent - 3/5 stars

I do get the feeling that most critics are either biased by their dislike of Madonna or their distrust of anything remotely sympathetic to Wallis Simpson.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
More reviews:

The Telegraph - 3/5 stars

Time Out London - 2/5 stars

The Independent - 3/5 stars

I do get the feeling that most critics are either biased by their dislike of Madonna or their distrust of anything remotely sympathetic to Wallis Simpson.
I think you maybe right.But Madge does have that affect, you either love her or hate her.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM

I don't love Madonna but I don't hate her either. I just don't see how can she be a director when she could barely act. The reason why she was so well in Evita was because she played a person similar to herself. I also think she's trying to stay famous and in the papers, and even compete with other celebrities, by taking up directing. I'd prefer if she'd stick to singing and creating great music, which she does.

Maybe W.E. would get better reviews in the USA because some Americans love the whole idea of a king giving up the throne for the love of a woman.

Maybe I'll see it then if it gets good reviews. Especially to see Natalie Dormer, who I thought was great in "The Tudors".

Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Courtier

I think also that this is the ultimate passion project for Madonna. She's not doing it to win awards or to be praised. She's simply fascinated with the woman and has the type of money to be able to create a big-budget film about it.
To be completely honest, I don't give much credence to critics or reviews, and I'll see a movie if I like the overall plot so W.E. getting panned by those who expected to see a masterpiece doesn't bother me one bit. There are plenty of movies that were panned and yet made back their budget ten-fold...
The acting by Andrea Riseborough, James D'Arcy, and Natalie Dormer is apparently excellent so it seems the film is lopsided and should have just contained the period scenes.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Blink & you would have missed her in it.Madge played a fencing instructor in that movie.

Die Another Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indeed and a very wooden performance to be sure.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Indeed and a very wooden performance to be sure.
I can barely remember it
Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

It does seem the negatives arent trying to hide their bias against Madonna and Wallis as well, and so far from what I have seen, they are British.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The director of Black Swan was interviewed on telly this evening, and kind of said that W.E was going to compete with The King's Speech on the same level. I nearly died of laughter. Even without Madonna, and a crappy parallel storyline - it wouldn't compete with that fantastic film.

If it didn't have the 'bringing it to modern viewing' bit, i'd probably watch it.