"W.E" (2012) - Film produced by Madonna on the Abdication of Edward VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the film doesn't receive good reviews (and so far it seems a bit mixed) than I don't think it will be successful.

Let's face it an English period drama (which I happen to love) has a 50/50 chance for being financially successful for every The King's Speech there is another one that just plays for the art houses (but might be deemed a financial success because of the budget and the number of sheathes it is playing in).

But I think that those who like Madonna will see it nonetheless although they haven't seen all of her bad movies.
------------------

and for the record, I like Madonna's music I just don't care for her public persona. I have no way of knowing what she is like personally.

:previous:
Critic reviews don't hold the same power that they did years ago, and it is possible for a film to be successful even with negative reviews. It just depends what is the producer's definition of "successful" is... :whistling:

The Social Network was positively reviewed and did well financially through word-of-mouth yet relatively bombed in awards season (and thus didn't live up to the critics' expectations nor projections)

Since W.E. is being produced by The Weinstein brothers, it is likely the film will be edited to make it more award-friendly. Movies shown at festivals aren't always the final version seen by us in cinemas.

I think fans of Madonna and those interested in royalty (especially the Wallis/Edward romance) will see the movie. Perhaps those who want to go just to jeer might end up liking it, but the main thing is that critics and reviews mean NOTHING.

:previous: I disagree somewhat. Based on the previews I couldn't wait to see The Green Lantern but based on the reviews and word of mouth, I actually passed. And the movie bombed (because of the reviews and the fact that is was just bad) so reviews for some do mean something.

Likewise I wanted to see The Young Victoria, it did receive good reviews but because it was a relatively small house movie (it was in a couple of theaters for a brief period of time in the DC area) it was hard to find and than it was gone. But I snapped it up the first week it was released on DVD. The King's Speech actually started that way and than made its way in the multiplex.

And while I enjoy Harvey Weinsten movies...he has been known to make a bad movie or two. So his moniker or hand in the pot won't make a bit of difference if the movie is bad and is linked with Madonna. As to the Social Network it was an excellent movie, but the award season in the States is more of a catch up thing. You had a feel good movie about an honourable man who overcame something vs a not so nice guy who invented something. Of course the honourable man won out!

Last edited:
I agree with you about Weinstein, I was just making the point of saying that he'll try anything for an award; the Weinstein name has become a synonym for "made for awards" films. But as you said, and I agree, that doesn't guarantee a good movie.

Movies are subjective (as is all art). Instead of The Green Lantern bombing because of the critics, it probably did so because of word-of-mouth as you mentioned.

Does this film prove Madonna should stick to music? Absolutely. There are enough directors out there (and female ones, since she's trying to make a point of getting a female POV across in W.E.) that it would be best if Madonna put her full attention and effort into music (her comparative advantage, so to speak).

Last edited by a moderator:
If the film portrays the "CORRECT" facts and not cheap, sensational exaggerations, I see no reason why the film should not be shown in Great Britian. After all, it does represent some significant events around British history. Not certain about people hating the Windsors but then again let us hope that the facts are portrayed correctly.

Last edited:
Well box office receipts will tell all. So far the reviews have been poor and unless the word of mouth from initial limited release is very very good this film could fade into oblivion pretty quickly.
I don't think the great British public think too much one way or the other about the Duke & Duchess of Windsor. Kids today would probably have to do a wiki search to have an idea who this couple is, or if they do have an idea its the man who gave up the throne for the woman he loved story they would have a vague remembrance of their parents or grandparents talking about.

It was actually an America comedian who made the "Hates hyrdangeas, loves Hitler" joke last night, as well as hoping she will drop her fake British accent before returning to NYC.

Well box office receipts will tell all. So far the reviews have been poor and unless the word of mouth from initial limited release is very very good this film could fade into oblivion pretty quickly.
that's too bad. I'm rather fond of Natalie Dormer. Perhaps this movie will still help her career. I think she's got some good stuff in her.

Well Canadians in general are a pretty polite lot, so unlike the Venice Film Festival audiances are unlikely to be rolling in the aisles laughing.

that's too bad. I'm rather fond of Natalie Dormer. Perhaps this movie will still help her career. I think she's got some good stuff in her.

Critics can always recognise a stellar performance in a horrible film, so even if the film continues to receive negative reviews Natalie can still stand out and receive the attention she deserves. :flowers:

Russophile said:

She was an amazing in the Tudors! She's also going to be in Game of Thrones, one of my favorite shows! Infinitely more excited to see her in that than W.E.

Sorry, doesn't matter what the movie is about. I loathe Madonna as much as she loathes Hydrageas. Her making a movie when she shouldn't be anywhere near a movie set is laughable!! The movie could be more awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear during an explosion in space and I still would not see it. She can't act and I doubt her directing would be much better!

This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna for being old, a b----, or anything else. How about the movie people! In reference to the movie, I wish she hadn't have named it W.E. I understand that Wallis&Edward is overused, but come on Madonna!

Last edited:
This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna for being old, a b----, or anything else. How about the movie people! In reference to the movie, I wish she hadn't have named it W.E. I understand that Wallis&Edward is overused, but come on Madonna!

I agree about the title. You know there's going to be people who say it wrong (e.g. "w-eeee" or "W dot E dot"). Anything else would've been a better title.

I've already heard someone call it "WE". Is it too late for a new title?
Oooo, I just thought of a good movie that jumps through time; Fried Green Tomatoes. I guess such a movie that is actually good does exist.

Last edited:
W.E. will premiere at Toronto IFF on Monday the 12th and show again on Tuesday the 13th
TIFF updated - W.E.

I agree about the title. You know there's going to be people who say it wrong (e.g. "w-eeee" or "W dot E dot"). Anything else would've been a better title.
Well,she just wanted to use a classical title,but you know here in Russia the original title was not kept,maybe that Wallis and Edward's story is not very well-known to the Russian public,but for some reasons in Russian the movie's title is translated like this :"We Believe in Love".

I already think of it as WE lol. :clap:

I do have a desire to see this movie, despite who made it and the reviews I've read about. For one, even if its not the best thing, I have to see it just because it has to do with the BRF. For two, I don't rely on critics reviews. I like a lot of stuff the critics did'nt.

To make up for the fact that its Madonna making it... I won't watch it till its on the movie channels... thus Madonna will not get a penny from me but I can still enjoy it. :p

I'd like to see this, like EchoLynn, I'd rather make up my own mind than have the critics do it for me. From what I've seen of it so far, it looks to be quite a good little picture.

This thread has turned from talking about the movie to harping on Madonna...
Yes, this thread is to discuss "W.E." the film.
Madonna has her own thread in Members' Corner which can be found here.

thanks,

Warren
Royal Library moderator

Has this one been posted yet?
Review: Madonna

Review: Madonna’s ‘W.E.’ is one of the most pleasant film surprises in years

Rating: A-

W.E. will open in select Chicago theaters on December 9.

Madonna is the most famous female pop artist of all-time. However, the words “Madonna” and “film” usually don’t go together. Just go watch the films Shanghai Surprise, Swept Away, The Next Best Thing, or Body of Evidence. Behind the camera, however, Madonna the director proves to be almost as brilliant a Madonna the pop star.

W.E. deals with the romance between King Edward VIII (played by James D’Arcy) and Mrs. Wallis Simpson (an Oscar performance by Andrea Riseborough). It may not completely tell the truth about their romance and it may overshadow some of Mrs. Simpson’s negative aspects, but that doesn’t really matter; this is not a historical film.

The romance is seen from the eyes of Wally Winthrop (played by Abbie Cornish), who begins a torrid affair with a Russian security guard (played by a Latino, Oscar Isaac). She comes to realize that the romance between King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson was not nearly as perfect as she fantasized. It is told in a way that Madonna can pick and choose what aspects of Mrs. Simpson’s life she wants to bring into focus. Unfortunately, the modern day story doesn’t work as well as the story of the main subjects of the film. In the scheme of things, it’s only a small blip on the radar of an excellent movie.
Advertisement

The film’s past and present scenes look absolutely stunning—even far more appealing than any 3D movie out there, even though this is a 2D film. Madonna’s touch is all over the scenery. The musical score, done by Abel Korzeniowski, is also enthralling and brings more life into the already lively scenes.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Review:

Honestly think if I see this movie it will be on cable or I'll Netflix it. Once I read about the modern storyline I knew there was no way I would pay money to see this in the theater.

Me and my Lovy will watch this together..all the old Divas will be in it..Wallis, Eddie, short Cookie n' odd Bertie,should be hilarious n' don;t tell me Madde doesn't have a fine taste of humor.. :lol: I know it's not supposed to be a comedy but i'll def pee in my panties when Wallis will beg him on the phone not to abdicate.."Can u at least be Emperor of India?".. :clap: :dizzy:

hmm it seems that is quite good, after watching a trailer, but the real opinion it's gonna be after watching the movie. :)

Very, very stylish. I wonder what it's going to be like. Will have to Netflix it.

Very, very stylish. I wonder what it's going to be like. Will have to Netflix it.

The trailer looks stylish but I wonder if the movie will be half as good,I might go see it.

In my book named "The Book of Royal Lists", I read that Prince Charles as a young boy, put an icecube down a footman´s neck, and later in life, he threw the Moderator of the Church of Scotland into the fountain at Balmoral. (Shocking).

Has anyone else seen the picture of Natalie Dormer as Queen Elizabeth?

Back
Top Bottom