The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I was wrong, it was esquire.
This may or may not get you there.
www.esquire.com/features/guy-ritchie-interview-1109

Ah! But if she stayed at her daytime job she wouldn't be Madonna being "true to herself" now would she?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Courtier

Weinstein Co. Acquires Madonna's 'W.E.' - The Hollywood Reporter

The Weinstein Co. has acquired U.S. rights to W.E., the new feature film directed by Madonna.

Written by Madonna and Alek Keshishian, the film stars Andrea Riseborough as the American divorcee Wallis Simpson for whom King Edward VIII, played by James D’Arcy, gave up his throne. The movie juxtaposes their love story with that of a contemporary couple, with Abbie Cornish as a New York who becomes obsessed with the royal love affair.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a shame that Madonna is described as a fake director by DM and many other sources,Madonna put her heart and soul in the whole project and I admire this talented woman and I think her movie is worth seeeing.I do not know when it will be officially released.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...l-scandal.html
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

I actually have read somewhere saying they think the movie is good. I'll give it a shot, once it's out
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Gentry

I am eager to see what kind of movie it will turn out to be. I am one of these people who obsess about accuracy in history based movies and have my fingers crossed that Madonna treated this subject with accuracy and does not overly romanticize the Edward and Mrs. Simpson relationship.

It was a love story but an arguably unhealthy one when you read the testimony of some friends and aids close to them at the time. It was him who needed her and she seems to have bossed him around more often than not.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Gentry

I've read the script (it leaked online a while ago) and it doesn't romanticize anything. It's very dark; way too dark for my tastes. In the movie they pretty much hate each other by the end.

It seems like she wanted to make the relationship look messy and complicated and make Wallis seem human, but she didn't do a good job of it.
So long and goodnight...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I noticed that quite a few "The Tudors" actresses have been in WE.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

An early review done by Roger Friedman, one of the best movie critics;

Quote:
Well, I may have to eat my hat. The inside word from The Weinstein Company is that Madonna’s effort as a movie director, “W.E.,” is really really good. Gregg Kilday is reporting that the Weinstein Company has bought the rights to Madonna’s movie. Now I’ve called some people I know–not Harvey or Bob–and they’ve told me the story. They bought the movie outright–no one else saw it. Madonna showed it to TWC first probably because Harvey Weinstein released her “Truth or Dare” twenty years ago. And the people who saw “W.E.,” including Harvey and Bob, loved it.
My first question: does it have any reference to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor as Nazi sympathizers? I am told it’s at least mentioned. But this is also what was said: “It’s a smart and thoughtful and incredibly stylish. A performance by Andrea Riseborough that’s Oscar worthy. I don’t know how the f— she [Madonna] did it. It’s an art picture, there’s no question about it. It’s a picture for women. Bob and Harvey really loved it. This is a lot like Tom Ford’s directing of A Single Man. We were impressed with her. Everyone’s been talking about her in house for two weeks. She’s gotten it all up there on the screen. It’s hard to tell a good story. She managed to do it.”
My sources say this is all really true. They even say that they know there will be skepticism, but that once people see “W.E.,” they’ll get it.
I know, this is insane. People who read this column probably think I’ve been abducted by aliens. I can only go by what I’m told, though. And if “W.E.” is really so good, I’ll be the first to say it. The sales price, by the way, is said to be less than $5 million. More likely in the $4 million range.
showbizz411
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Royal Highness

I am willing to give this movie a try- a good film is a good film regardless of who directed and if it sucks oh well no harm for me..... Is anyone interested in seeing it? Especially after the above review....?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

If the Weinstein Company has bought this money, it means they're out for Oscar gold. TWC is a wee bit shady but they're the force behind many Oscar bidding movies. The King's Speech, The Fighter, Nine, Inglourious Bastards, The Reader, The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
It's quite a good sign really, even though I hate Harvey Weinstein.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I might see the movie; it could be a good picture even though Madonna is behind it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Have you heard that the Madonna movie is getting Oscar buzz?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Madonna made a good movie I will be surprised, though she was in A League of Their Own and Evita, her closest film is Swept Away even if she didn't direct it. The pictures I have seen, I think they were Vanity Fair, it looks like something pretty enough that I would enjoy. It also seems Madonna is playing towards the "Wallis as somewhat of a victim" angle.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's at Venice - W.E. review: Madonna makes us all fall in love with Mrs Simpson | Mail Online
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I have mixed feelings on this project,I'd like to see her do well as I've read about how much time she's spent on it.

She also busy recording her next studio album,where does she find the time?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

I am looking forward to seeing the film - the production values alone should make it very pleasing to the eye. It wouldn't matter who made the film, the subject matter will always divide people's opinions. I applaud Madonna for tackling it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

She also busy recording her next studio album,where does she find the time?
Good question. I read an article in Maxim about Guy Ritchie who said his ex wife (he was still smarting after the divorce) had more get up and go at her age than most people at HALF her age.

As to Madonna's acting, she only acts well if she's got a good director behind her. Suddenly Susan was good, as well as A League of Their Own, Dick Tracy, and Evita. The stinkeroos were Shanghi Surprise (with then hubby Sean Penn--funny, however, she sang a song for his movie "The Falcon and the Snowman" which was a huge hit) Die Another Day, Swept Away, Body of Evidence, the list could go on.
She IS a very hard worker and I have a lot of respect for her in that regard so it will be interesting to see how her directorial debut will turn out.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Have you heard that the Madonna movie is getting Oscar buzz?
Apparently the some members of the audiance at the Venice premiere broke out laughing during the film, which is not a comedy, so that should not bode well for Oscars but I guess stranger things have happened. Madonna apparently has the Duchess dancing to music by the Sex Pistols, so maybe it is a comedy after all.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Apparently the some members of the audiance at the Venice premiere broke out laughing during the film, which is not a comedy, so that should not bode well for Oscars but I guess stranger things have happened. Madonna apparently has the Duchess dancing to music by the Sex Pistols, so maybe it is a comedy after all.
It is not necessarily to be a comedy,in "Marie-Antoinette" movie,Sofia Coppola included modern music,but it's not a comedy,although it has some funny moments.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marie-Antoinette was a horrible movie. And apparently the dance music was changed and it was time appropriate (by that I mean the song was released at the time the dancing occurred)