The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

An historical retelling of the Abdication crisis isn't likely to be box office gold unless it's wrapped in something more contemporary, so the device of intertwining or two similar storylines is used.

No doubt the film (and Maddie personally) will be attacked for a [possibly] unsympathetic portrayal of the late Queen Mother, but the ruthlessness, determination and iron of Elizabeth's personality has long been hidden behind a cloud of wafting chiffon. I actually think the backbone of steel makes her a much more interesting individual than her public persona would suggest, but even the recent biography by Shawcross skirted around the issue. The real story of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the last Queen-Empress, is yet to be told.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I understand Madonna's point of adding another storyline to the mix. My point/issue is that I love the story of the Abdication so much is that if it was just about that I might watch it.There is no reason why she couldn't make a small film about the events. It worked for the Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchett and Young Victoria with Emily Blunt. They weren't Lord of the Ring blockbusters but they did pretty well. There is a small industry for "art" films.

I watch Edward and Mrs. Simpson at least once a year, and it never gets old, and I discover something new everytime I watch it.

I don't think that Queen Mother's story is going to be told in our lifetimes....aren't the Queen Mother's papers under a lock and key (so to speak).

Definitely Wallis and Elizabeth had more in common than both of them would have liked to admit. Both David and Edward married strong women...the fault of Wallis was that her husband didn't think wisely and at times didn't heed her counsel and Bertie thought wisely because his wife told him so.

IMO the problem with the abdication wasn't Wallis but David although there is enough blame for all of the major players.

David was brought up in English society and knew what was acceptable and what was not, Wallis was foreigner and had she had a better teacher or mentor, the whole thing could have turned out differently. But that is the topic for another thread :)

It would have been interesting if Madge had told the Abdication from the women's point of view. There is a book called the Royal Fued and unlike pro Wallis and pro Elizabeth books...I think it does a better job at attempting to show the abdication from both points of view.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

But Madge isn't interested in telling history accurately--so it seems. Just to show Wallis in a sympathetic light. And make some money. I think, I hope.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Oh don't take it so seriously. She's making a film for entertainment, not an historical documentary for students of royal or political history. Just as "Kate and Leopold" (2001) wasn't an accurate depiction of a Victorian prince (or duke).

Madonna is hardly the first producer or director to make a film to "make some money", and she's not the first person to go against the tide and attempt to give a sympathetic portrayal of Wallis, difficult though that task may be. Go see it for the frocks and gowns, they're sure to be good.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Or the God awful Prince and Me.

At least based on the pictures I have seen the woman playing Wallis does look like her. And I love the suit!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Oh don't take it so seriously. She's making a film for entertainment, not an historical documentary for students of royal or political history. Just as "Kate and Leopold" (2001) wasn't an accurate depiction of a Victorian prince (or duke).
So. . you're saying it's going to be a stinker from the get go???
Quote:
Madonna is hardly the first producer or director to make a film to "make some money",
Unfortunately she doesn't have a good track record in film, though her musical career has been stellar.
Quote:
and she's not the first person to go against the tide and attempt to give a sympathetic portrayal of Wallis, difficult though that task may be. Go see it for the frocks and gowns, they're sure to be good.
Well it's a lot easier to make Wallis sympathetic across the pond here in Yankville than in Jolly Olde England. . . .
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Well most people in the US don't know who their US Senator is so chances that they will know Wallis Simpson...are slim to none. I don't think I have every seen anything about her in Baltimore. I need to check out to see what her old neighborhood looks like.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

My grandmother told me the story of Wallis Simpson when I was a child. I knew who she was. Love story was what she told me. Most people my age don't really know who she is. If they are in their 20's, they have no clue nor do they really know the history.

I never really was that impressed with Wallis Simpson. She was a social climber who had good luck and good fortune when she met Edward. An American woman who marries a heir to the British throne or any British royal who was a potential heir to the throne was an accomplishment that no other American woman has done before or since. If I'm mistaken on this, please let me know. He had to give up his throne for her.

Whenever you have strict monarachist rules that are enforced, you will never see American women marry into such families. They don't have the background, upbringing or social standing to get in or get accepted.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
...Whenever you have strict monarachist rules that are enforced, you will never see American women marry into such families. They don't have the background, upbringing or social standing to get in or get accepted.
A few have "made it", although apart from Wallis, not into the exalted ranks of the Windsors.
You may enjoy this thread: Americans Who Married Royals and Aristocrats in the 'Royalty Past Present and Future' subforum.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Well most people in the US don't know who their US Senator is so chances that they will know Wallis Simpson...are slim to none. I don't think I have every seen anything about her in Baltimore. I need to check out to see what her old neighborhood looks like.
That's funny, because that was her childhood area. And she always considered herself "Southern".
Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Maryland (where I am pseudo from) is below the Mason Dixon line and to many it is considered a Southern State in relation to the War between the States. We are really part of the Mid Atlantic States. Its funny because to my family in New York, I talk with a Southern accent and my friends in Maryland say that I talk like a Northerner :)

But definitely during her early life time, it was very much considered Southern. I live 40 minutes from Baltimore.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Wallis came from a blue-blooded/old Baltimore family but her parents were impoverished and she and her mother depended on wealthier relatives for money.

I'm currently working/based in Baltimore. Maryland was historically considered part of the South because it is below of the Mason-Dixon Line as Zonk said, and was a slave state. However, it did not secede (probably because of its proximity to Washington, DC) and fought for the Union side during the Civil War. Most people, federal agencies, etc. like Zonk consider Maryland Mid-Atlantic, and Baltimore and DC are at the Southern end of the major metro areas along the Eastern seaboard. However, the US Census still considers Maryland the South.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Administrator

If anyone is interested in discussing the specifics of the Abdication, we can do so here The Abdication, 11 December 1936.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

To Warren: This was interesting. Guess I should do my research before I speak.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

"W.E." - still in post-production

Cannes 2011: Madonna pulls her King Edward VIII and Wallace Simpson movie out | Mail Online

Madonna had hoped to premiere her eagerly awaited movie W.E at the film festival this week, but screenings have been put on ice because the project is still not finished. Madonna had wanted to showcase her film, about King Edward VIII and American divorcee Wallis Simpson, but she is still making finishing touches to the soundtrack and there are three weeks more of post production to complete before the film is ready to be screened to an international audience.

She has secured backing from Indian billionaire Anil Ambani’s IM Global film financiers and an insider who has seen the rushes says: ‘The movie is actually rather good.’
Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I love the "is actually" bit.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Madonna has a lot of talent, just not in the acting department, so it really is no surprise to me that it actually is pretty good. Her ex husband Guy Ritchie said iin an interview (it was a men's magazine, I can't remember which one) she had more going on and more talent than those half her age.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Madonna has a lot of talent, just not in the acting department, so it really is no surprise to me that it actually is pretty good. Her ex husband Guy Ritchie said iin an interview (it was a men's magazine, I can't remember which one) she had more going on and more talent than those half her age.
Did he say that prior to his divorce from dear old Madge?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Did he say that prior to his divorce from dear old Madge?
No this was after his divorce. He was picking Rocco up from day care or school or something. I think it was Maxim. It was right after Sherlock Holmes came out.
However, do you remember how good she was in Despartely Seeking Susan? And A League of their Own? Then she stunk it up with her ex Sean Penn in ---what was the name? Hot times in Shanghai where she played a nun? Then she was rather wooden in that James Bond flick as well--however the music was good. So it depends on who directs her. Not unlike Sharon Stone. However Madge knows how to make money and she's not stupid so I'm sure she surrounded herself with the best.
Don't get me wrong, she's not one of my favorites, however I DO respect the woman tremendously for her sheer force of nature, if you will, to catapault herself to the top.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
No this was after his divorce. He was picking Rocco up from day care or school or something. I think it was Maxim. It was right after Sherlock Holmes came out.
However, do you remember how good she was in Despartely Seeking Susan? And A League of their Own? Then she stunk it up with her ex Sean Penn in ---what was the name? Hot times in Shanghai where she played a nun? Then she was rather wooden in that James Bond flick as well--however the music was good. So it depends on who directs her. Not unlike Sharon Stone. However Madge knows how to make money and she's not stupid so I'm sure she surrounded herself with the best.
Don't get me wrong, she's not one of my favorites, however I DO respect the woman tremendously for her sheer force of nature, if you will, to catapault herself to the top.
He did rather well after their divorce I believe,so I'm not surprised he's being nice to ex-missus.

She was good in Despartely Seeking Susan,Dick Tracy,A League of their Own & Evita but she should stick to the daytime job .

Thats where she excels & makes the money.