"Victoria & Albert: The Royal Wedding" (2018) - BBC Two Documentary Film

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wartenberg7

Heir Presumptive
City
Hamburg
Country
Germany
"Victoria & Albert: The Royal Wedding" (2018) - BBC Two Documentary Film

A brandnew programme about Queen Victorias and Pr. Albert wedding re-visited by Lucy Worsley

some of it I find nor really plausible, like the congregation´s clapping after the wedding service, which would be quite unheard of in the 19th century - and for that matter at the sovereign´s wedding! Still a high quality production which I could only recommend!
The actress impersonating the Queen is one of the few which really resemble Victoria!

Last edited:
Wonderful , Lucy Worsley is one of my favourite historians!

some of it I find nor really plausible, like the congregation´s clapping after the wedding service, which would be quite unheard of in the 19th century - and for that matter at the sovereign´s wedding! Still a high quality production which I could only recommend!
The actress impersonating the Queen is one of the few which really resemble Victoria!

The clapping was also featured in the ITV series 'Victoria'.

I don't know about Protestant custom, but I have an impression that, in Catholic weddings, it is somewhat traditional to clap after a wedding service or mass. There was clapping for example at Guillaume and Stéphanie's wedding, though not at Felipe and Letizia's. I also noticed that, when William and Kate were walking down the aisle, there was a Roman Catholic bishop in the congregation who clapped (by himself) while they were passing by.

well, this clapping-kind-of-thing is definitely something that has just come up since about 15 or 20 years and was, I can only speak for europe, totally unknown before. I guess this might again be a "custom" inspired by romantic Hollywood movies, as well as the kiss in front of the altar!
I never attended a catholic wedding where somebody would have clapped! Everyone is happy and cheerful, but a churchservice is not an entertaining show. Old-fashioned? May be... But I really feel that our old traditions and customs are being overshadowed by the american entertainment industry and culture which I often find of a foreign conception having a disturbing effect especially in historic documentaries, which should aim to trace back an original period or event as detailed and accurate as much as possible without getting trapped by our modern way of thinking and doing things, which I think is unscientific.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is a Catholic thing. I’ve also been to Protestant weddings where the guests clapped when the newly married couple is presented as Mr & Mrs (or Ms). It is to express happiness and congratulations to the couple as a new family unit.

well, this clapping-kind-of-thing is definitely something that has just come up since about 15 or 20 years and was, I can only speak for europe, totally unknown before. I guess this might again be a "custom" inspired by romantic Hollywood movies, as well as the kiss in front of the altar!
I never attended a catholic wedding where somebody would have clapped! Everyone is happy and cheerful, but a churchservice is not an entertaining show. Old-fashioned? May be... But I really feel that our old traditions and customs are being overshadowed by the american entertainment industry and culture which I often find of a foreign conception having a disturbing effect especially in historic documentaries, which should aim to trace back an original period or event as detailed and accurate as much and just get trapped by our modern way of thinking and doing things, which I think is unscientific.

Yes, I find it hard to believe that the guests clapped at Victoria's wedding, it would have been unheard of in those days.

I don't know about Protestant custom, but I have an impression that, in Catholic weddings, it is somewhat traditional to clap after a wedding service or mass. There was clapping for example at Guillaume and Stéphanie's wedding, though not at Felipe and Letizia's. I also noticed that, when William and Kate were walking down the aisle, there was a Roman Catholic bishop in the congregation who clapped (by himself) while they were passing by.

Not from my knowledge of catholic weddings (or other catholic church events), the clapping has only been around for a few years, it was unheard/frowned upon of when i was younger (my dad still refuses to applaud in church ?)

However i have no idea how it would be in an Anglican churchservice

I've been to many Church of England weddings over several decades & only witnessed clapping quite recently. My elderly mother has attended many C of E weddings since 1940 (her 1st as a bridesmaid) and she says applauding the couple in church was never done at any of them.

Perhaps (if it did actually happen) customs were different for the royal family?

I've been to many Church of England weddings over several decades & only witnessed clapping quite recently. My elderly mother has attended many C of E weddings since 1940 (her 1st as a bridesmaid) and she says applauding the couple in church was never done at any of them.

Perhaps (if it did actually happen) customs were different for the royal family?

No. Especially at royal weddings (and on top of it all, a reigning sovereign!) everything was religious, solemn, dignified and devout. This was considered a state occasion where two people were joined together by God and seeked blessing from Him. Just think of the royal wedding back in 1981 - watching it you could still sense this!

Things about royal weddings slowly changed with the new millenium where elements of pop and entertainment culture had been included in the service (just think of Sweden!) where one gets the impression as if they asked for a romantic Hollywood movie soundtrack as an auditory background...:whistling:

Last edited:

Yes, and I was very disappointed by that, too.

It is hard for me to understand why fimmakers put so much effort in the setting, hairdo, costumes, etc. and, at the same time, make such thick historical inaccurate mistakes that could so easily be avoided....! And I´m always very much surprised what these so called "historical experts" contributing to these movies actually really know....?!

The same goes for the famous "royal wave", which, in fact, is a very modern concept for Royalty to acknoledge the people and was not introduced before the late 1920s, early 1930s. Originally waving to someone else was considered by Royalty bourgois, middle-class and low-bred.
If you look at old films before that period, you can only see royal men bowing their heads reverently and striking the military salute (as most of the time in public they wore uniform, anyway) and the ladies gently bowing their heads, turning slowly to both sides. This is also a thing very often wrongly represented in nowadays period dramas.
I´m pretty sure if someone from Victoria and Albert´s brood had waved from the coach to spectators they might have both fainted....!;)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom