"Victoria & Abdul" (2017) - Film on Queen Victoria and her Indian servant

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
"Victoria & Abdul" (2017) - Film on Queen Victoria and her Indian servant

Filming has begun in York on Victoria And Abdul a new movie on Queen Victoria which looks at the true story of the monarch’s relationship with Abdul Karim - a young clerk who travels from India to take part in her Golden Jubilee.

Dame Judi Dench will reprise her role as Queen Victoria.

York-born Dame Judi back as Queen Victoria (From The Northern Echo)

Really I cant wait to see it, it feels like a feel good movie !

Yes it does and a lot of filming took place last autumn at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.

The news about this upcoming movie and the article in the Daily Mail that where the author of Victoria and Abdul tells a bit of the story really has made me realize that there is so much about Queen Victoria that I don't know.

I am definitely going to want to see this movie. I admire Queen Victoria even more now for having the spunk and the guts to stand up and fight for someone that she believed in, someone that taught her more about a part of her empire that her household and courtiers probably didn't feel was important and it shows that Victoria, when she made a friend, kept a friend close and dear to her heart.

Makes me also want to slap Edward VII upside the head a few times for being so petty. :whistling:

Dame Judi Dench And Other Stars Talk About New Film ‘Victoria And Abdul’ .

Victoria was very kind and loyal to Abdul but in real life I don't believe it was the same with Abdul. She was very unpredudiced for her time and day, which was wonderful.

I bet they don't put into the film the bullying and demands for honours, so Victoria became quite frightened of Abdul's demands, the shouting, the STDs, the stealing of her jewellery by himself and relatives.

I like Judy Dench and think she makes an excellent Victoria. I loved 'Mrs Brown' but this, like that film, is a pretty romanticised version of a friendship I would guess. Nevertheless, I'll probably go and see it.

The reviews of the movie have been mixed it looks a light lighter than Mrs Brown which had some brilliant onscreen chemistry,Dame Judi Dench is wonderful.

*SPOILER*

* SPOILER*

No. They took out all the negative aspects of Abdul. He is totally adoring and devoted to Victoria and is indeed a sad victim of Racism. It's a well made movie but very very white washed and PC.

What does "PC" mean?
Was John Brown mentioned?

I just loved it! The scenery,costumes everything just superb. Had do household played by late tim piggot smith was the apex in all of the great acting. Depiction of her royal life was fabulous, the huge formal dinner so well done.

sounds dire. I was going to see it but thought it was problaby whitewashed and silly.

Back
Top Bottom