"Victoria" (2016-Present) - ITV Drama Series on Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the series. Jenna Coleman is very pretty woman, and actor playing Lord M. is handsome and plays his role perfectly. I like V&M chemistry. I don't really see this kind of chemistry between Victoria and Albert.
I also like theme song, very haunting.

Last edited:
I must say, I'm pretty stunned at how successful this series has been. I expected it to be thoroughly trampled by Poldark which is on BBC1 at the same time but it's really held its own.

I've found friends and colleagues talking about it, despite being uninterested in royalty generally. It's not 100% faithful to the historical reality, of course, but then it's never claimed to be.

I have seen the first episode as a start of bingewatching but I am not impressed. It came nowhere close to the quality of Mrs Brown or the mise-en-scene of Downton Abbey.

I saw factual errors, the crown used for the Coronation looks like the one you can buy in the carnival shop. The characters of Kent, Conroy and Sussex are more sketchy than really worked-out.

I will see the second episode tonight. I hope it will be improved otherwise I will start for another series to bingewatch. That series War & Peace was a huge let-down as well. The French series Versailles is still awaiting for me.

Can anyone recommend some good books on Victoria? I'm enjoying this series but don't know enough details about this queen to separate fact from fiction. Thanks very much!

Wikipedia recommends Walter L Arnstein's Queen Victoria and A N Wilson's Victoria: A Life, which are both published fairly recently and are well recommended on Amazon.

PHP:
Wikipedia recommends Walter L Arnstein's Queen Victoria and A N Wilson's Victoria: A Life, which are both published fairly recently and are well recommended on Amazon.

Thanks very much:flowers:

Filming of Series 2 must be nearly wrapped up now ,roll on September!

The first episode of this series is to be aired on Danish TV tomorrow.

Will you recommend it for someone like me who is interested in factual history?
In other words: Is it a fair and realistic portrayal of Queen Victoria and the people of her time?

In other words: Is it a fair and realistic portrayal of Queen Victoria and the people of her time?

Maybe read some of the comments above ;)

I always have an open mind towards these type of dramas and will always give them ago and if I find myself moaning about historical inaccuracies thats when I stop watching them :D

Maybe read some of the comments above ;)

I always have an open mind towards these type of dramas and will always give them ago and if I find myself moaning about historical inaccuracies thats when I stop watching them :D

Thank you, I did read the comments. I also checked imdb.

Anyway, someone kindly PM'ed me. :flowers:

It's a fun portrayal. Not necessarily 100% historically accurate, but it is an enjoyable show that I think tries to stay within the myth of Victoria, if not always the actual reality.

I do find there's a bit too much on the servants side of things at times (almost like it's trying to be the next Downton Abbey), but overall it's enjoyable.

Well do let us know what you think of the series and how it goes down in Denmark!

Well, I've had a look at the series.

Jenna Coleman is physically well suited for the role as Queen Victoria and she's an experienced enough actor to carry the role.
For a uniform-nerd like me, there is plenty to look at and it's a pleasure to look at the details in regards to the sets and costumes. - And that is good because the pace is honestly a bit slow.
There are too few threads in the story to really capture an audience who are non-British or interested in history. And I don't quite understand the role of the servants. To hear the gossip among the servants is one thing, but why so much focus on them? Especially as there are so many other topics around 1840 that they could merit several threads.
So I'll label the series a slow romance. An intelligent chick-flick if you like.

As for the reception in Denmark. Well, historical dramas usually have a good audience, but they seem to have moved the series from prime time Saturday to prime time Sunday, so...

In conclusion: It has to step up in gear for me not to put on a documentary about Queen Victoria instead.

I'm veering just a bit off topic, but there is a point to it.
I think I first caught the UK royal bug watching London Weekend Television's Lillie in the late 70s. Lillie's interactions with the royals and court fascinated me, as did the setting (mainly) in the Victorian era. The costumes, historic references, casting were all very admirable at the time.
A couple of months ago, the series replayed over here and I watched it hoping to be as delighted as when I first saw it.
The costumes and the actors stood the test of time. The rest, well, let's just say there is a higher level of scholarship about the period and characters in 2017 than there was in 1978.
But I'd still happily watch Francesca Annis and Peter Egan stencil the walls all over again ;)

And I bet 40 years from now, some of you will still be watching Jenna Coleman fuss about her hair and dog and will smile broadly.

I'm looking forward to season 2 immensely as I really loved the first season.

Season 1 aired in August of last year so I don't think we'll have to much longer of a wait.

Unless you are in the US then you have to wait until January 2018

I think I can wait that long. One of the blessings of this program being shown on PBS stations is that there's no commercial breaks. Good if I have everything I need such as snacks and drink. Bad if I have to go to the bathroom.

Need to remind myself of what I used to remind my kids of before going on car trips. Go first before we leave. ;)

I prefer to view series like Victoria in the autumn/winter post Game of Thrones with the fire lit :D

Back
Top Bottom