"Victoria" (2016-Present) - ITV Drama Series on Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it's interesting to say the least.
What's the story with the maid from the academy?

Who? I've just caught few minutes of it. It seems OK, but I don't realy see why there appear to be a lot of servants?

Also all of Victoria's gowns, except the two riding ones have been off the shoulder......

I've given up on it.. I can't understand why Rufus Sewell is playing Melbourne. he looks much too young.

I don't want to start already with complaints, but for me it's a no.

It is typical of ITV to be "liberal" with the truth. I would have thought Albert would have made an appearance, since I was of the understanding he was present at the Coronation ... maybe I am wrong.

I actually like Sewell. Jenna as Victoria doesn't work for me, she has no umph at all.

The example of drunkenness and the Florence situation was poor choosing for the storyline I think.

Shame after downtown I had high hopes for an historical drama.

Also all of Victoria's gowns, except the two riding ones have been off the shoulder......

Off the shoulder and off the peg! Gosh! We are being treated to a soap opera not unlike the one served up by Julian Fellowes (Downton) who I believe was encouraged to enhance the storyline with servants' tales just for the democratic sensitivities of the American market. Still quite enjoyable. Good casting. Odd to think the young queen's name was really Drina before her accession.

Her name was Alexandrina Victoria but she chose to rule under the name Victoria. When she died her name was still Alexandrina Victoria in the "normal" sense.

It's like Charles choosing to rule under the name Edward but his given name is still Charles.

I dot beleive she was known as Drina as her pet name in chidlhood. I think ti was Vicky or Vickelchen..

I actually like Sewell. Jenna as Victoria doesn't work for me, she has no umph at all.

The example of drunkenness and the Florence situation was poor choosing for the storyline I think.

Shame after downtown I had high hopes for an historical drama.

Why? Downton was pretty poor as a historical drama. It may have started with a bit of accuracy but the scripts got worse and worse...
It sounds as if the writer is aiming for a similar "upstairs and downstairs" thing, and I dont realy know why, as the story is about Victoria, not her servants.

I dot beleive she was known as Drina as her pet name in chidlhood. I think ti was Vicky or Vickelchen..

Victoria was known as Drina as a very young child, then later Vickelchen.

I've never heard that she was called the English Vicky, although her daughter was.

Why? Downton was pretty poor as a historical drama. It may have started with a bit of accuracy but the scripts got worse and worse...

It was never professed as historical accurate. It was fiction from start to finish. The scripts in term of content got boring towards the end but it's hard to be historically accurate from the beginning when the main characters title never existed. :whistling:

I found the contact lenses very annoying and distracting.

I can't wait for this! A few years ago there was an exhibit of Queen Victoria's and Prince Albert's private family album photos at the Getty Museum in Malibu.

Albert was really a very good looking guy when he was young. I can totally understand why Victoria fell hard for him even though he was her cousin.:whistling:

There was also a charm bracelet worn by the queen that made me weak in the knees it was sooo beautiful!

It was never professed as historical accurate. It was fiction from start to finish. The scripts in term of content got boring towards the end but it's hard to be historically accurate from the beginning when the main characters title never existed. :whistling:

i'm sure you know what I mean by historically accurate.

Downton's early seasons had more historic background (the sinking of the Titanic, the Marconi scandal, World War I , the Battle of the Somme, the Easter Rising, etc.). From series 3 onwards, the show looked increasingly more like a soap opera and references to contemporary history became increasingly scarcer.

I agree with Lumutqueen though. Downton Abbey was never a show about real historical figures and never meant to be so. You can't compare it then to a Queen Victoria drama or series like Isabel or Carlos, Rey y Imperador on Spansih TV (TVE) for example.

Last edited:
What I thought Downton Abbey did well was historically accurate clothing. I also thought Wolf Hall did a good job with that aspect too. The one show where was glaring so wrong was the White Queen which is set even earlier than the Tudor period but the costumes and the exposed hair for the ladies drove me nuts watching it.

The poor people in America like me have to wait until January to watch Victoria on PBS, but at least we are getting Poldark Season 2 in Sept.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm really enjoying the series but there are a few big mistakes that make me a cringe a little. The biggest error I've noticed was in the last episode when the character they're calling 'the Grand Duke' (the future Alexander II of Russia) said he was being forced to marry a Danish girl. Well, the real life Alexander II married Marie of Hesse and By Rhine of course so I think they got the wrong Tsar. Which is a bit sloppy and lazy. But otherwise, it's a pleasant enough watch.

Everyone is talking about this series atm. Mostly wishing that history could be changed and that Queen Victoria could have married Lord M!

I've been trying so hard to be good and to not watch this until it airs in the US because I want to watch it at the same time as my friends but it's tough- it looks great.

But I'll probably appreciate it even more in front of a roaring fire during the January snow :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Albert is such a dull, stiff guy. Has no charisma and zero chemistry with Jenna Coleman/Victoria.

The Harewoods, of course, are cousins of the Queen through their mother Princess Mary who was Princess Royal before Anne.

Half way through the series now,I wonder if we will get a Christmas special?

Back
Top Bottom