"The Young Victoria" (2009) - Film on Queen Victoria's Early Reign

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe if it gets nominated for an Oscar next year, we'll have a shot at seeing it.

Probably. And it seems likely to be nominated for costume and set design at the very least. Maybe this fall we'll get it in theaters in America?

It is an amazing movie! I think that Emily Blunt is so good as Victoria!

I'd like to how they make Emily Blunt look short enough. Emily is about 5' 8" and Queen Victoria was barely 5' from what I've read.

I did not know that Victoria was that small but I doubt whether many people mind when they see the movie.

Cate Blanchett is also about 5.8 and Elizabeth I was 5.3 I think.

For those wanting to know the release dates for this movie:
It's supposed to be released in the U.S. around November 13th 2009 and it's just now being released in Australia.

Release Dates.

Germany = 5 February 2009 (European Film Market)
UK = 6 March 2009
Israel = 9 April 2009
Spain = 30 April 2009
Netherlands = 21 May 2009
Singapore = 21 May 2009
Denmark = 4 June 2009
UK = 13 July 2009 (DVD premiere)
France = 22 July 2009
Finland = 31 July 2009
Australia = 27 August 2009
New Zealand = 27 August 2009
Norway = 11 September 2009
Sweden = 11 September 2009
Belgium = 16 September 2009
Canada = 19 September 2009 (Toronto Film Festival)
Greece = 8 October 2009
USA = 13 November 2009
USA = 13 November 2009(limited)
Russia = 26 November 2009

The film is incredible, I have watched it over and over again. Emily Blunt is amazing. :flowers:

I suppose the movie does have pretty good chances, especially in the ‘costumes’ category.

What exactly was Sarah's title associated with the movie? Are we ever going to see it in the US?

:previous:

Sarah is one of the producers of the movie (the other producers are Martin Scorsese, Tim Headington and Graham King).
"The Young Victoria" will be released in the USA on November 13, 2009. And of course, the last country it will be released in is Russia - on November 26, 2009.

Last edited:
I was wondering when it was going to be released in the US.

But really, does anyone do fact checking anymore or was that the first to go with the world economy.....Beatrice has a non speaking role in the film not Eugenie.

Any type of Oscar nomination, or heck....commercial success or critical reception be would a welcome change for Sarah.

That's what I was thinking... although when you think about it, Dodi Fayed also won an Oscar.

<...>...Beatrice has a non speaking role in the film not Eugenie.
Beatrice's cameo appearance was cut out, so unfortunately we won't get a glimpse of her in the movie.
Any type of Oscar nomination, or heck....commercial success or critical reception be would a welcome change for Sarah.

I think the movie has already enjoyed a certain degree of critical and even commercial success in the countries it was released in (UK, Germany, Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, France, Israel and several others): so far, there have been few, if any, negative reviews. The movie is even pretty accurate from historical point of view, which is a rarity.
Of course, the 'real talk' will start only once the movie is released in the US, although I don't think the critical reception will be any different there. Now, as for the commercial success (in the US), that's a different matter: I think it does have chances to be pretty successful, especially since there are no other 'big' movies planned for release at the same time.

I agree, success, any sort of success, will be a welcome change for Sarah, especially after all the negative press she’s been receiving lately.

By the way, I've heard rumours that Emily Blunt will be nominated for Oscar for her role as Victoria: a worthy choice, if it happens - she played the part admirably and is generally a wonderful actress, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Beatrice's cameo appearance was cut out, so unfortunately we won't get a glimpse of her in the movie.

I haven't seen the film but a friend of mine has and she told me that Beatrice is clearly seen in the movie.

Maybe there are different cuts of the film depending on the market.

Unfortunately, I am not sure the film will be a commercial success in the US.

Not that I can speak on behalf of the American consumer, but unless it has the name Jane Austen attached to it, historical dramas don't do well in the States.

If it has a limited release artistic release, that might be something totally different. Either way, I am glad that it has gotten positive reviews...I will definitely try to check it out.

I am sure this will please Sarah, she is definitely a true fan of Queen Victoria.

I haven't seen the film but a friend of mine has and she told me that Beatrice is clearly seen in the movie.

Maybe there are different cuts of the film depending on the market.

I've read that Beatrice's 'few short scenes' were shortened even further until they were totally cut from the movie.
Obviously, either some scenes did make it into the movie, or there are indeed different releases depending on the marker. :)
It is well possible that in the countries the movie was released first, Beatrice's cameo hadn't been cut yet.

Unfortunately, I am not sure the film will be a commercial success in the US.
Not that I can speak on behalf of the American consumer, but unless it has the name Jane Austen attached to it, historical dramas don't do well in the States.
If it has a limited release artistic release, that might be something totally different. Either way, I am glad that it has gotten positive reviews...I will definitely try to check it out.
I am sure this will please Sarah, she is definitely a true fan of Queen Victoria.

In one of the reviews on 'The Young Victoria' I read, the reviewer wrote: "...one of the best-costume dramas ... and one without Ms Knightley in it ...or written by Jane Austen. :D
The movie is unlikely to be a huge commercial success (not along the Harry Potter or Transformers line) but I hope it will be a moderate commercial success, especially for costume drama genre. It might not be a Jane Austen work but instead it can boast an Oscar-winning screenplay writer, Martin Scorsese and Emily Blunt. And the ‘glamour’ of a real Duchess as a producer might help a bit as well.

Last edited:
In one of the reviews on 'The Young Victoria' I read, the reviewer wrote: "...one of the best-costume dramas ... and one without Ms Knightley in it ...or written by Jane Austen. :D
The movie is unlikely to be a huge commercial success (not along the Harry Potter or Transformers line) but I hope it will be a moderate commercial success, especially for costume drama genre. It might not be a Jane Austen work but instead it can boast an Oscar-winning screenplay writer, Martin Scorsese and Emily Blunt. And the ‘glamour’ of a real Duchess as a producer might help a bit as well.

Yes, I have read some good reviews about The Young Victoria too. Does anyone know when it would be released in Canada (or has it been already released?)

When I was younger I read Sarah's co-authored book about Victoria and Albert's life at Osborne House over and over again. I just loved the glimpses it gave into their family life as the nine children were born and grew up. The book really showed how much Victoria loved Albert and how much he doted on their children, and from a historical standpoint it was very interesting too.

I really do think Sarah probably knows a fair bit about Queen Victoria and her knowledge was probably helpful in making the film. You can tell she was already a fan of Victoria when she named her daughters ("Beatrice," and "Eugenie Victoria Helena"...three of those names belonged to Victoria's daughters!) I saw a review of The Young Victoria that mentioned you could tell the film was produced by someone who knew the way things really worked in a palace...the formality, the rules, etc.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. IMO Sarah's 'glamour' isn't going to add to it's success, but her knowledge as a member of the royal family and from co-authoring the book will certainly add to her input as a producer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That you tube clip gave me chills! It looks really good! I wonder if they're realeasing it in the US in time to make it more eligeble for the Oscars! Elizabeth did well there, I think, and I hope this does too.

The princess does make a very brief appearance - her scenes involve the coronation, which is sort of split into 2 parts of the movie.
The coronation (or lack thereof) was my biggest complaint about the film, which I otherwise enjoyed.

And as has been commented above, the film is remarkably historically accurate, with only 1 definite point that I know if that is a fabrication for the movie's sake.

And finally, Emily Blunt, really was truely amazing, I will be disappointed if she doesn't get some critical acclaim or award nominations for it.

That you tube clip gave me chills! It looks really good! I wonder if they're realeasing it in the US in time to make it more eligeble for the Oscars! Elizabeth did well there, I think, and I hope this does too.

USA = 13 November 2009
USA = 13 November 2009(limited)

Release dates for the USA.

It's eligible for Oscars as it's between the 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009. :)

Beatrice is in very briefly.
The coronation is far too short. :)

The release date has been pushed back to December 18, 2009. I'm getting very excited and am hoping, hoping, hoping that it's not a limited release because that could mean I'll have to wait longer here in Portland or go up to Seattle.

I saw the movie a while back and didn't think much of it. It didn't go underneath the surface to explore the characters. I thought many of them one-dimensional and so they didn't elicit any feelings from me. But then again, I really liked the miniseries "Victoria and Albert" with Jonathan Firth and Victoria Hamilton, so I could be biased.

Btw, I don't remember seeing Princess Beatrice, so maybe I saw the "other" cut as someone mentioned.

The princess does make a very brief appearance - her scenes involve the coronation, which is sort of split into 2 parts of the movie.
The coronation (or lack thereof) was my biggest complaint about the film, which I otherwise enjoyed.

And as has been commented above, the film is remarkably historically accurate, with only 1 definite point that I know if that is a fabrication for the movie's sake.

And finally, Emily Blunt, really was truely amazing, I will be disappointed if she doesn't get some critical acclaim or award nominations for it.
Emily got nominated for a Golden Globe. I think even two.

Back
Top Bottom