The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

No follow up on the BBC

'The White Queen' ditched by BBC: It is axed too soon? - TV News - Digital Spy

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Gentry

I just have finished seeing all the episodes. In the end the acting of Faye Marsay was the one that impressed me the most, in that particular scene were she was in bed and told Richard that he didn't love her i almost had tears in my eyes. Faye did a amazing job as Anne Neville in her last days. The ending was rather dull though, i have to say that the last episodes was not that exciting besides the many historical inaccuracies. Something that also stuck me was the whole Princes in the Towers thing, that Richard supposedly escapes his fate and another boy that looks like him is put in the tower instead just seems ridiculous. I don't know what was going through Philippa's mind when she wrote that.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. The last chapters have been quite disapointing for me.
More so knowing that there is no second season planned. I found the last chapter incomplete. It wasnīt the best ending at all.

Agree as well about Prince Richardīs affair...very odd.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
I agree. The last chapters have been quite disapointing for me.
More so knowing that there is no second season planned. I found the last chapter incomplete. It wasnīt the best ending at all.

Agree as well about Prince Richardīs affair...very odd.
I agree Annie the ending was just bizzare,maybe at the time they had planned a possible series 2?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I agree Annie the ending was just bizzare,maybe at the time they had planned a possible series 2?
That was what I thought... maybe it was planned but the series hasnīt gone as well as they thought it would. I imagine they arenīt cheap to produce and they have to get enough benefits.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
That was what I thought... maybe it was planned but the series hasnīt gone as well as they thought it would. I imagine they arenīt cheap to produce and they have to get enough benefits.
BBC might not want a series 2 but who knows maybe some other channel might just commission a second series?

I must check out the ratings on BBC 1 for the White Queen.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
It was also badly received from what i read, i have to say that it was a bitter disappointed in the end. The last episodes bore me greatly to be honest, and all of the ridiculous plots such as Richard escaping and coming back was just a little strange. If it's one thing i adore Amanda Hale's acting, her as Margaret Beaufort made me have mixed feelings about the character. I did hope that there would be a season 2 maybe following Elizabeth of York and Henry VII, it would have been interesting to see how that played out.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

The actress playing Elizabeth Woodville is not pretty enough to be her. This was a woman said to be the most beautiful in England and even if it was sucking up to a Queen her portrait alone shows she was beautiful. I laughed when her mother said no man in England could ride pass her daughter.
Also there is something about Aneurin(sp) that resembles the real Richard III.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just started watching it (I'm on episode four now) and I just think it's kind of cringeworthy and cheesy for some reason. But I'm probably biased because I've never liked anything by Philippa Gregory. The real treasure of the show is Amanda Hale playing Lady Margaret Beaufort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The actress playing Elizabeth Woodville is not pretty enough to be her. This was a woman said to be the most beautiful in England and even if it was sucking up to a Queen her portrait alone shows she was beautiful. I laughed when her mother said no man in England could ride pass her daughter.
Also there is something about Aneurin(sp) that resembles the real Richard III.
I so agree about Aneurin Bernard (probably the best cast after Amanda Hale), but in regards to Rebecca Ferguson, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. She's not how I've imagined Elizabeth Woodville either, but the producers apparently thought so and I also have friends who think that she's absolutely stunning.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Gentry

I'm watching this series because I'm very interested in anything having to do with the Wars of the Roses, especially the women of the Wars of the Roses. Although I do find a little lacking. I wish it had started a little earlier and covered Margaret of Anjou a little more. I don't think Margaret Beaufort's getting enough time, either. I mean, just exactly what was it that convinced Margaret Beaufort that her son was meant to be king? Was she given a prophecy? At least in the beginning wasn't the heir to the Lancastrian throne Prince Edward? She always seems to be forgetting about him. Then what about her Beaufort cousins? Wouldn't they come first? Although I do believe that the Yorkists had a better claim to the throne, the two Margarets are actually my two most favorite historical figures of this time.

One of the main things that bothered me was when Elizabeth and her mother, Jacquetta were removing Margaret of Anjou's old things, including a portait. Wasn't that a portait of Elizabeth herself? It looked something like this one, except that she was wearing red. File:ElizabethWoodville.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also, wasn't Edward a very tall man? And didn't men wear their hair shoulder length and wear little caps back them?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Margaret of Anjou was one of least favourite characters in the series,perhaps it was the actress who played her.In reality Margaret is one of my favourite historical figures.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not understand David Oakes love for playing the middle son who just so happens to be a moron yet still the favorite of a parent.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Gentry

I just started watching this series, so far so good. Am still very confuse on who is who
Old 09-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am currently on episode seven and I can feel that I am beginning to take notice of the inaccuracies, but those and the slight tackiness aside, it's a decent series. Margaret Beaufort just gets better and better, if you are doubting whether to watch this show or not, you should definitely do it just for the sake of seeing her. Quality acting and great, realistic portrayal by Amanda Hale.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone have any info about what kind of person Elizabeth was? I am not asking for a cut and paste deal from Wikipedia, but any info on who she was as a person. Despite being a commoner and people hating her for it, was she a good queen, a good woman, was she as much of a vindictive ----- as she is portrayer in this show? Who was Elizabeth Woodville beyond being the commoner queen?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Majesty

I've been watching the show on Starz every Saturday and the last episode will air next Saturday. I enjoyed it but I'm glad that the modern day royals are more civilized and they're not fighting over the throne like that anymore. I'm sure the Monarchs appreciate it too. Looks like it was exhausting just trying to say alive and watching out for those who would stab you in the back.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The White Queen sequel being developed by Starz

The White Queen sequel being developed by Starz - US TV News - Digital Spy
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
I don't think Margaret Beaufort's getting enough time, either. I mean, just exactly what was it that convinced Margaret Beaufort that her son was meant to be king? Was she given a prophecy? At least in the beginning wasn't the heir to the Lancastrian throne Prince Edward?
Yes, Prince Edward was the Lancastrian heir, but there were certain doubts about his legitimacy even then. (Though this may have been because Margaret of Anjou was so unpopular).

Margaret Beaufort was the one with the best claim, since she had direct decent from John of Gaunt's line. John of Gaunt was older than Edmund of Langley (from whom the Yorks descended) so the Beaufort claim took precedence. She considered herself the rightful queen but knew a male would be chosen so plotted to get the throne for her son.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Not having seen this series I don't know if this was even mentioned but actually, the Beauforts had a very weak claim to the throne since they were illegitimately descended from John of Gaunt and his mistress Katherine Swynford. They were later legitimized but barred from succeeding to the throne. The York line, even though descended from the younger son of Edward III, was a legitimate branch of the Plantagenets and had better succession rights. Henry Tudor capitalized on Richard III's unpopularity and pressed his Lancastrian claim to the throne, weak as it was. He had to marry Elizabeth of York afterward since she was the rightful Yorkist heiress and this would further solidify his hold, even though he claimed right of conquest rather than succession. He had to constantly protect his throne during his reign from Plantagenet claimants posing as the Duke of York (the younger prince in the tower) and Edward of Warwick ( Edward IV's nephew) who, if they were genuinely those people, would have had better right as king than he.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not so sure; if the Beauforts were legitimized, which they were, then why wouldn't they also have the right to claim the throne? Because Henry IV said so? But he had his own agenda, didn't he? Seems a bit specious, to me. John of Gaunt did marry Katherine Swynford, although he did so after the fact. Still, they were legally married.

I mean, either the Beauforts were legitimate, or they were not. Right?
It seems to me that, once they were recognized as legitimate, then they had a clear right to the throne. Anyway, that's how it turned out.