"The White Queen" (2013) - BBC Historical Drama Series on Elizabeth Woodville

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
"The White Queen" (2013) - BBC Historical Drama Series on Elizabeth Woodville

Very very very very excited about this! :flowers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Queen_(TV_series)

Based on the novel of course, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Queen_(novel)

BBC - Media Centre - The White Queen

Set against the backdrop of the War of the Roses, The White Queen is a major new 10-hour adaptation of Philippa Gregory's vivid bestselling historical novel series, The Cousin’s War, for BBC One.

The White Queen is the thrilling story of the women caught up in the ongoing conflict for the throne – they are some of the most ruthless players in history and will stop at nothing to support their own causes and those of the ones they love.

The White Queen is a stunningly rich tale of love and loss, seduction and deception, betrayal and murder, vibrantly woven through the stories of three different, yet equally driven, women in their quest for power as they manipulate behind the scenes of history – Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville.

Elizabeth Woodville - REBECCA FERGUSON

Lady Margaret Beaufort - AMANDA HALE

Anne Neville - FAYE MARSAY

Jacquetta Woodville - JANET MCTEER

King Edward IV - MAX IRONS

Lord Warwick - JAMES FRAIN

Isabel Neville - ELEANOR TOMLINSON

Henry Stafford (Eps 1-5) - MICHAEL MALONEY

Baron Rivers (Eps 1-2) - ROBERT PUGH

Jasper Tudor (Joins from ep 2) - TOM MCKAY

Duchess Cecily - CAROLINE GOODALL

George, Duke Of Clarence - DAVID OAKES

Richard, Duke of Gloucester - ANEURIN BARNARD

Anthony Rivers - BEN LAMB

Countess of Warwick - JULIET AUBREY

John Rivers (Eps 1-2) - SIMON GINTY

Mary Woodville - EVE PONSONBY

Lady Beauchamp (Eps 2,3,6) - FRANCES TOMELTY

Richard Welles (Eps 2-3) - HUGH MITCHELL

Margaret of Anjou (Eps 4-5) - VEERLE BAETENS

Edward of Lancaster (Eps 4-5) - JOEY BATEY

Sir William Herbert (Ep 4) - RUPERT YOUNG

Lord Thomas Stanley (Joins from ep 6) - RUPERT GRAVES

Sir Robert Brackenbury (Joins from ep 8) - SHAUN DOOLEY

Harry Stafford/ Buckingham (Joins from ep 8) - ARTHUR DARVILL

Princess Elizabeth (Joins from ep 8) - FREYA MAVOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydneyl2S30o

Ugh! The trailer won't play her in the US. :sad: My favorite book in the Cousin's War series!

It will be great to finally watch this series!
The BBC adaptation of Philippa Gregory’s “The White Queen” starts on Sunday night at 9pm on BBC1. The website says of episode 1 “After meeting Elizabeth Woodville, King Edward IV must choose between love and loyalty.” See BBC One - The White Queen for more information.

Those in the USA who have the Starz channel will be able to watch The White Queen in August, see The White Queen - A STARZ Original Series

Read more: A Reminder of This Weekend's TV Programmes - The White Queen and The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England Part 3 » The Anne Boleyn Files

I have a hold on her next book in the series about Elizabeth of York, "The White Princess," coming out soon.

I'm really hoping the series comes out on DVD soon after so I can get to see this.

I loved this book! So looking forward to the BBC version.

I am glad we could finally watch series about different historical period, as earlier mostly all movies ( tv shows) focused on Tudor dynasty.

Ugh! The trailer won't play her in the US. :sad: My favorite book in the Cousin's War series!

And mine!!!

from this book I began to understand all War of White and Red Roses/

Red Queen is more boring ( guess cuase of the main personage)

I also read the book and loved it. What a story this woman had and what troubled times she lived in. The mystery of the Princes in the Tower still intrigues everybody.

Well, yesterday I watched the first episode and I think it's not bad at all, maybe a little romanticised version of history characters.

I accidentally bumped into it (BBC one is the only BBC I receive) and liked it. I thought the surroundings and everything looked too new though.

I only got around to watching the first episode last night,I believe the reviews are mixed,but I did enjoy the first offering and look forward to the next one!

As long as you watch "The White Queen" thinking it's just a period drama set in an alternate universe that just happens to have characters with the same names as real people, you'll be fine. There are so many historical inaccuracies that those of us who know a little about the Wars of the Roses can't even watch it...(I cringed when I read the book and was just barely able to finish it. I've not read Gregory since - her "research" leaves much to be desired.) Two of the big historical misses: Edward IV was with his friend Will Hastings, not the Earl of Warwick, when he met the widow Grey; and the ages of his brothers George Duke of Clarence and Richard Duke of Gloucester have been advanced upwards (so there could be more royal sex maybe?) George was fifteen and Richard only eleven in the spring of 1464 when the King brought Elizabeth Wydville Grey to court - and Richard's future Queen, Lady Anne Neville (Warwick's daughter) was only eight! And we won't even get into the costume issues and the lack of head coverings for the women...:bang:

And if anyone thinks it doesn't matter, it does. With so few people actually reading/studying history these days, many viewers will believe that "The White Queen" is actual history and not fiction, just as so many have taken "The Tudors" as history, with Henry VIII being a shortish man with dark hair who had only one sister who married the King of Portugal. :ohmy:

I was looking through Queen Elizabeth II pictures on Tumblr when i found about The White Queen and now i can't wait to see it. Rebecca Ferguson(Elizabeth) looks amazing :wub:

Ok I didn't enjoy the second episode as I found it went all over the place,I hope the 3rd episode is better or I may just stop watching altogether ;)

How many episodes does this series have?
I´ve seen the first one and I quite enjoyed it. The characters are idealized, but it´s a TV show, I did expect it beforehand (plus, the actor who plays rthe role of the king is great to look at :p).
I haven´t read PG´s book and I´m not an expert on British History but according to the little I know and my research the series is quite accurate, which is great to see.
Maybe I´ll watch the second part today in the afternoon. I´m looking foward to see how the story develops from now on.
It´ll be interesting to see how they explain the Princes in the Tower´s story.

Ok I didn't enjoy the second episode as I found it went all over the place,I hope the 3rd episode is better or I may just stop watching altogether ;)

I absolutely agree... there was a lot of 'explanatory waffle' in the script of episode 2. Like you i hope Episode 3 is better !

How many episodes does this series have?
I´ve seen the first one and I quite enjoyed it. The characters are idealized, but it´s a TV show, I did expect it beforehand (plus, the actor who plays rthe role of the king is great to look at :p).
I haven´t read PG´s book and I´m not an expert on British History but according to the little I know and my research the series is quite accurate, which is great to see.
Maybe I´ll watch the second part today in the afternoon. I´m looking foward to see how the story develops from now on.
It´ll be interesting to see how they explain the Princes in the Tower´s story.
10 episodes.
King Edward - Max Irons. Never even suspected that Jeremy Irons has such pretty son who is also an actor.

Book is great. I like it for mix of history and fairytale.
But in movie....all is too fast! too many sex scenes ( maybe it's not bad :whistling: but looks somehow like in harry))). too many white trousers))) zipps and rails.)))))))))
I like love-line but royal and state line at this moment are too simple.....I dunno ...such feeling that I see Brayan Adams video clip Everything I do with the scenes from Robin Good))))
I expected something like Tudors.....but here I can't feel the thrill from my deeping into history dark secrets of dark ages.
All is too simple somehow. There is no heavy weight of time and power.
Maybe next episode will bring such feeling.

They've almost lost Melusina's line((( so I can't identify this work no like fairy tale neither period drama.....:sad:

Dunno.
I like Max Irons in the role of king and the lover....That's all)))))))))))

Last edited:
It's a mistake to take this as a bit of history; it's loaded with anachronisms.

Still, so far I am finding it entertaining.

It's a mistake to take this as a bit of history; it's loaded with anachronisms.

Still, so far I am finding it entertaining.

Yes..... I know that in historical movie always can be some uncorrect or unproved moments. It's not documental video chronicals from WWII .
But nonetheless I catchmyself on the thought that I want to see only love scenes)))) Scenes in court are dull)))))

10 episodes I believe .
That´s good. I´ll be entertained for a long time.

10 episodes.
King Edward - Max Irons. Never even suspected that Jeremy Irons has such pretty son who is also an actor.
Oh, he´s Jeremy Irons´son! That explains a lot of things :D

Agree about your opinion about the plot being too simple. I hope that fact will improve during next episodes.

Never knew Jeremy Irons had a son! :ohmy: I'm already seeing the first episode, wonder when the next one will come?

Never knew Jeremy Irons had a son! :ohmy: I'm already seeing the first episode, wonder when the next one will come?

We're on Episode 2 in the UK here as of Sunday 23rd June.

Oh, he´s Jeremy Irons´son! That explains a lot of things :D

10 episodes.

Just to let you guys know Jeremy Irons and Sinead Cusack have two sons, both actors, Max and Samuel. :flowers:

I expected something like Tudors.....but here I can't feel the thrill from my deeping into history dark secrets of dark ages.
All is too simple somehow. There is no heavy weight of time and power.
Maybe next episode will bring such feeling.

They've almost lost Melusina's line((( so I can't identify this work no like fairy tale neither period drama.....:sad:

This isn't a movie, it's a TV Series made from a book which is loosely based upon the real events, there was never going to be any accurate history/period drama feelings with this TV Series because it's based upon a piece of fiction. It's all fluff, BBC are doing their upmost to compete with Downton Abbey.

Last edited:
We're on Episode 2 in the UK here as of Sunday 23rd June.

You are so lucky! I need to wait for people to put episode 2 on YouTube so i can see it :ermm: I read that it will officially start showing on the USA on August 10th .

Back
Top Bottom