"The White Princess" (2017) - Starz Historical Fiction Series on the War of the Roses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breffney

Courtier
City
Leitrim
Country
Ireland
Sounds interesting Madame Breffney :flowers:

I wonder if there's a release date yet?

Here's a list of the cast so far

Jodie Comer as Elizabeth of York
Jacob Collins-Levy as Henry VII
Essie Davis as Dowager Queen Elizabeth
Joanne Whalley as Margaret, Duchess of Burgundy
Michelle Fairley as Lady Margaret Beaufort
Suki Waterhouse as Cecily of York
Rebecca Benson as Margaret Plantagenet
Rhys Connah as Teddy Plantagenet
Caroline Goodall as Duchess Cecily
Kenneth Cranham as Bishop Morton
Vincent Regan as Jasper Tudor

How are the novels?

Worth reading? In regards to the real history.
I.e. do they offer a realistic view of the world back then or are they too "modern"? In the sense that they portray the characters through modern eyes and with modern values?
IMO that happens very often with "historical novels".

How are the novels?

Worth reading? In regards to the real history.
I.e. do they offer a realistic view of the world back then or are they too "modern"? In the sense that they portray the characters through modern eyes and with modern values?
IMO that happens very often with "historical novels".

one thing i'm sure off is that there gonna be some fiction and fantasy in it in the previous novel and tv series "the white queen" which this novel is it's sequel there was a lot of fantasy in it like the idea that Elizabeth Woodville
her mother and her daughter the future queen Elizabeth of York were witches .

The White Queen tv series was more soap opera than historical drama. The costuming was horrible. The events are in the mid to later 1400s and they actors look they are in a bad production of Romeo and Juliet. Women running around with their hair uncovered which would never have happened in that time.

Thanks, both of you :flowers:

I think I'll skip the novels then. It'll only annoy me if they are too far out.
The real persons would be interesting enough as it is, no need to "beef them up" IMO.

The White Princess (TV series) 2017

Muhler- Did you see the tv adaption of Hillary Mantel's Wolf Hall? If you are looking for a more historical take, I would highly recommend that one. The cast is excellent with Damien Lewis as Henry VIII, Claire Foy as Anne Boleyn and Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell.

Last edited:
Yeah if you want to watch something watch Wolf Hall. It's at least closer to reality and the quality of work is excellent.

LaRae

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look. :flowers:

Game of Throne fans will be pleased to note that Irish actress Michelle Fairley (Lady Catelyn Stark) will be back on our screens as the formidable Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby in the White Princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-q3_b3dkI

Okay...so did anyone watch the first episode? I will admit that I didn't watch the White Queen...I have never been that interested in the War of the Roses...too many people..too much confusion. SO and So is King, no that other guy is King..hey let me lock my nephews in the Tower.....just too much for me...and I LOVE BRITISH ROYAL HISTORY. But I might need to watch it on Demand.

That being said, I decided to watch the White Princes because although I know and am fascinated by The Tudors... I honestly don't know much about Henry VII and ElIzabeth of York other than they were the parents of Henry, Arthur, Margaret and Mary...and I know a lot them...so much... I couldn't watch the Tudors until much later...when they combined the characters of Margaret and Mary and decided to focus on only one of Henry's sisters.

So I watched the first episode and if you are a History buff...you are going to have to let the history leave your mind. Because this series is about having poetic license and making alterations to history for dramatic effects...they actually say this before the credits roll at the end of the episode.

The first scene basically touches on Elizabeth's alleged relationship with her uncle, Richard III. Basically they infer that they were romantically involved and she was devastated by his death. Now, I know it is has been alleged that they have had a relationship but I thought that was a rumor that was used to 'defame' Richard's character. And it never made sense to me...say that Edward's and Elizabeth sons are bastards and not fit to rule but marry the elder daughter...never made sense to me. And honestly, at the time it was alleged that Richard had something to do with her brothers disappearing into the tOWER...WHY WOULD SHE LOOK AT HIM FONDLY with love. Of course, we know now that Henry Vii might have had something to do with it but whatever.

The series also alleges that only Edward died in the Tower, not Richard and that Warbeck was actually Richard.

So I will watch it but with historical indifference if you will. I will admit that I do like Lady Margaret Beaufort...she is a fascinating character. What mothers do for their sons!!! And it was nice seeing the Stanley children...they are/were the last of the Platatengents and Henry VIII decides to remove the threat of the 80 years old Countess of Salisbury during his reign. And it has been alleged that Henry VII and Elizabeth of York do fall in love...so I am all about the happy ending. I hope this gives me a bit of an insight into the Henry VIII's parents.

About the books....I have not read this particular book in The Cousins War but I certainly have read other books by Phillipa Gregory...and her books are just like this...imagining conversations...playing loosey goosey with the facts. I kind of enjoyed The Boleyn Girl but again, some of the stuff she writes about you are like...That's not how it happened!

If you are looking for true history...I would stick with Allison Weir....Phillipa Gregory is the like the Danielle Steele of British royal history.

Last edited:
I haven't watched it since we don't really subscribe to the premium channels. I usually wait until a series is out on DVD.

I did read the White Queen and White Princess. Gregory is a trained historian, and I will give her attention to detail, but I was a little miffed at how she got Elizabeth of York and Henry VII together (I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I know that reads a little awkward).

Reading her Tudor books, I loved the idea of Elizabeth Woodville putting a curse upon the man who killed the princes and how that played out. She may not have interpreted the history the way that I would, but I tip my hat to her creativity.

That said, the previews I've seen of White Princess make the series look as if it bears no resemblance to either Gregory's books OR the historical fact. I don't recognize this Elizabeth of York. It's making me cringe in anticipation. She was hardly anybody's definition of feminist, and yet the marketing department at Starz is laying heavy on the "she's a true feminist heroine!" to draw in female viewers.

Right now, I'm not holding much hope that it will be watchable, but I've been wrong plenty times before.

I never expect period drama to be historically accurate.
(That saves a lot of aggravation).

I am enjoying The White Princess, though it is necessary to view events with a whole salt shaker.

I also like Versailles, and Turn. (Btw, anyone know when season 4 of Turn will air? I keep checking but so far, nothing).

Once a history junkie, always a history junkie!

Will this be shown in the U.K.?

I watched the 1st 2 episodes ,I've always been very interested in the Wars of the Roses and its enjoyable to watch as the sets and costumes are lavish but there are a lot of historical inaccuracies.

The most compelling character is that of Lady Margaret Beaufort mother of Henry VII and the actress who plays her is doing a very good job.The weakest character so far is Elizabeth of York but that might be down to actress who is playing her.

Elizabeth Woodville is portrayed as a key Yorkist plotter and schemer along with her mother in law Cecily Neville, Duchess of York .One odd fact struck me was that Lady Margaret Beaufort took precedence over both queen Elizabeth Woodville and her daughter,Elizabeth of York and that they had to bow to her.

I'd give it 6 out of 10 so far,light on the facts but lavish sets/costumes.

Philippa Gregory goes out of her way to badmouth everything Tudor so I will not bother watching anything to do with this program. I can only hope someone with real interest in history will make another substantial production and Henry and Elizabeth.

Found it now. Will not watch the trailers though, but I have found the comments very interesting.

Are they going to do a second series? I would imagine there would be no need for it. I mean Arthur dies, and than Elizabeth dies in Childbirth.

All and all it was just okay.

Now if we could do something about the actual War of the Roses...that would be awesome. But I imagine so expensive.

Something about the real War of the Roses would be great, but as you say expensive and also a bit bloody. People have complained to the BBC about their latest series "Gunpowder ":flowers:

Back
Top Bottom