The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Alison Weir is an awesome writer...and her sources are very detail oriented and legitimate. She definitely tries to sway away from the things that have been said about Anne that are somewhat inaccurate.

I also think that they could have continued the series with a look into Edward and Mary. As previously mentioned, I think Elizabeth has had her story told. The young actress who played Mary would have done an excellent job (or another more mature actress) showing how Mary grew increasingly conflicted and guilt over signing that document by Harry. As well as the relationships she had with her half siblings. She both loved them and feared/pittied them because of their belief in Protestantism.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Though The Other Boleyn Girl was not a great movie, I think Eric Bana as Henry VIII had more in common physically with the real Henry than JRM. He was tall and they dressed him in clothes that made him appear bigger and wider. Jonathan is just too short, lean and petite and most of the other guys in the cast towered over him. You can go to any library and pick up various books on Anne Boleyn, or The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

I totally agree Eric bana makes a better King Henry VIII and a cute young king
Old 11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm really glad I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" first before seeing the movie, because that would have probably put me off reading the book (though I've learned through experience a book is always better than the movie version). Anyway, Eric Bana made a more strapping and imposing Henry VIII than JRM, although the hair color again was somewhat of an issue for me. I guess this is because it was always touted that Elizabeth I was a chip off the old block, down to her blazing red hair which she inherited from her father.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Gentry

I haven't seen the whole series yet, but I'm finding it distracting that Henry is portrayed pretty much as a madman. Maybe he is just acting like an absolute monarch and to our eyes that looks like madness? We aren't really accustomed to absolute rulers nowadays, except for Gadhafi and people like that.

Re Elizabeth's hair color, I had read long ago that she had dark hair like her mother and dyed it red with henna her whole life. Still, there is the portrait of Elizabeth as a quite young girl that shows her with red hair, so perhaps she did take after her father in this respect.

http://elizabethone.20m.com/images/elizabethi.jpg
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Your image didn't come up, so I'm posting this of the one I think you're referring to. I believe Elizabeth was about 13 in this portrait, my most favorite of all. I never heard the story of her having dark hair and dying it red, although she did wear red wigs as she aged.

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squi...ElizabethI.jpg
Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I don't think they portrayed Henry as a madman....just as he was...an absolute ruler who didn't have to answer to anyone. At least on this earth. Heaven only knows what happened to him in the after life.

You have no legitimate sons and Not happy with your first wife (you know she was your brother's widow didnt seem to be a problem when you married her but whatever!)....get rid of her...the replacement model is giving too much attitude and still no son...get rid of her...3rd wife dies...not happy with the fourth wife...get rid of her....fifth wife is immature and has the morals that you find lacking for a Queen (but you seem to possess the same morals but whatever)....get rid of her...Catherine Parr was certainly lucky that he died before her.

Not to mention all the men and women who died because they didn't bend to Henry's will or where in his way. Not a mad man just a monarch of his times. Surely if you look at his peers (and those before him in any country) except for the getting rid of the wives...they acted in the same manner.

So I would say that Henry acted as an absolute monarch.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Henry VIII was a product of his times, a remorseless, absolute despot - a perfect examplar of Machiavelli's "The Prince" which the king read and modeled certain behavior on. He certainly practiced Machiavelli's principle that it was better to be feared than loved.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Serene Highness

I agree - he was being Machiavellian and was quite excited, apparently, to get hold of the book. Everything I read about him says he was quite fond of reading (and writing and of composing music too). Here's an interesting article about him and his music (and Machiavelli):

Henry VIII and Machiavelli (and Music)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Majesty

I saw a few episodes of the show on the internet when it first started, and wasn't impressed. I remember the first episode containing a murder scene (it opened with that scene actually), a really raunchy bedroom scene (with Henry and his mistress Bessy Blout (hopefully I got the spelling right), and then something else that I found to be a bit much. I also recall seeing that Henry had to go and meet the king of France at a summit. The terminology alone cracked me up; a summit? Of what, the G8? After that, and a few more raunchy bedroom scenes (including the one with Henry and Mary Boleyn), I was done. It was hard to take the show seriously, so I stopped watching.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Nobility

Sometimes I think Hery VIII was deranged, sometimes I think he was just ill with syphilis. And yet he might be just like Baroness of Books described - "a product of his times, a remorseless, absolute despot". Remember Queen Christina of Sweden? Completely "crazy". I enjoyed watching The Tudors but I really hated the way they showed a Portuguese king that married Henry's sister (that did not happen in reality).
Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorite scene:

The Execution of Anne Boleyn - YouTube

This scene was so good.Natalie did such a great job.The director,the writers,everyone did a great job.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that was a wrenching scene and very eerie at the moment of execution. And it was historically accurate that the executioner distracted Anne so he could behead her without her being aware when it would happen. His philosophy was that it was more humane when it's unexpected. I also did not like what Henry did to the swans!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

I loved The Tudors, as whenever I watch or read anything historical fiction-y, I go and start researching (found a wonderful, well-researched biography of Henry that I'm about to start; am reading Hume's History of England, etc.) The show had a great deal of historical accuracy (and some major deviations from history too). In the main, it was close enough and very entertaining. The sets and costumes were amazing (I researched whether those pale jade columns in Henry's throne room were accurate - they were). I would have loved if the series showed a bit more of how all of this was accomplished, but the Field of Gold episode was amazing - and what an amazing historic event it was! I think they were very close in getting accurate to the details there (and the casting for François I was great, IMO).

I was a bit bothered by Henry's apparent agelessness (up until about the last episode), but that's inevitable in a TV series. And easy on the eyes, for sure (it has to appeal to the younger set for reasons other than history).