The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Commoner

The Tudors - Next - The Stuarts on TV?

I loved watching the The Tudors first season on BBC when it was aired last year. Even though it was overly glamorised and very modern with regards to language and so on, I think it would be absolutely fantastic if the producers/writers of The Tudors were to move on to the next Royal family - The Stuarts. However, I would like to see that series continue on all the way to end of the Stuart line as it one of the major time periods in our history which has shaped how this country has evolved and become what it is today.
I would be more engrossed in this type of programme more than I already am/was in The Tudors?

Any thoughts?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Moving this to the Royal Library...

Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Why not start for the beginning for example from the Plantagenets or Normans ?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Oh my goodness, why not go back to the Angles and and Saxons. Let us see, we could do a series on Aethelred the Unready that could be a massive study in political and military ineptitude which could warm the hearts of all those disparing over B. Bush and the N. Sarkozy. Then we could do a series on Alfred the Great etc with marvelous thingies built around all that lust and violence. Then there is poor Edward III (??? now I get my numbers confused) that should provide enough kinks even for the most jaded, particularly the method of his gristly demise. Ah history, we have only just begun.Cheers.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Nobility

Well, if they do make a show about The Stuarts, I hope they stick to the facts a little better.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
If...if the Stuarts are next, it could get pretty interesting towards the end especially if the Jacobites are introduced. But that's opening up a whole new can of worms!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Oh my goodness, why not go back to the Angles and and Saxons. Let us see, we could do a series on Aethelred the Unready that could be a massive study in political and military ineptitude which could warm the hearts of all those disparing over B. Bush and the N. Sarkozy. Then we could do a series on Alfred the Great etc with marvelous thingies built around all that lust and violence. Then there is poor Edward III (??? now I get my numbers confused) that should provide enough kinks even for the most jaded, particularly the method of his gristly demise. Ah history, we have only just begun.Cheers.
Edward II.

Edward III was one of our greatest kings - his father, erm, wasn't.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Well, if they do make a show about The Stuarts, I hope they stick to the facts a little better.

If we are talking about the same show, The Tudors on Showtime, I hope to heaven, if they give a greenlight for The Stuarts, that it would be a heck of a lot better than the mess on Showtime. Furthermore, I would hope they would cast a decent actor unlike JRM () who is completely laughable as Henry VIII.

Another series I would love for someone to make: The House of Hanover and the Georges I, II, III, and IV only; the years would be 1714-1830.

I would also like to see someone complete a new series about The Plantagenets 1216-1399. My Mom was incredibly knowledgeable about this particular time in history, specifically Richard III whose protrait is still hanging in my Dad's house (why I have no idea. I've always hated the painting), and she would have loved to have seen a new series about the Plantagents.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Another series I would love for someone to make: The House of Hanover and the Georges I, II, III, and IV only; the years would be 1714-1830.
That would be interesting to see! Especially if they include George III---Mad King George and his brood of fifteen!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Edward II.

Edward III was one of our greatest kings - his father, erm, wasn't.
Now, now don't be too hard on Edward II. He did give you guys Cambridge and Oxford. That's got to count for something
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wouldn't mind a series about the Stuarts indeed, especially if they took Maureen Wallers excellent 'Ungrateful Daughters, The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Throne' as a starting point. Though I have to say after reading that one I have very little sympathy for Queen Anne (and I wondered why QEII named her daughter after her).
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy

I think a series about the Plantagenets would be fantastic.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

I just started watching this series, good grief how annoying. They had a nice subject but IMO they ruined it and made it look very unlikely. That everybody looks as if they could be participating in America's next topmodel doesn't do much for the credebility, neither do the acting skills of the guy who plays Henry VIII, it seems he has only 2 expressions in his face.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

In Canada now, we are getting the second season...

I too was annoyed at the historical inaccuracies, especially Margaret and the King of Portugal, but I stuck with it simply because I was greatly impressed by Catherine of Aragon. The actress who portrays her, Maria Doyle Kennedy, is very good and does Catherine justice - something she wasn't given in real life.

Also, Sam Neil is very good in his role of Cardinal Wolsey.
Both Catherine and Wolsey are now gone from the series but Peter O'Toole has come on as Pope Paul III and he's very good.

SPOILER:
He has a great line about Anne Boleyn - - "Why doesn't somebody just get rid of her??"....

Larry
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

I read somewhere that John McCain said he enjoyed this production. No further comment on my part.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've seen the first season...not so good, full oh historical mistakes and inaccurancies...I didn't like it
Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

I haven't seen it, but I don't know why they felt the need to embellish it. I'm sure there was sufficient sex and intrigue in reality at the Tudor court.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I've seen the first season...not so good, full oh historical mistakes and inaccurancies...I didn't like it
I'll second that. I wasn't very happy with Michael Hurst when I saw the first season. He's making a mockery of history with this stupid show.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Nobility

They also made Catherine about fifteen years older than Henry when there was only a 6-year age gap between them in reality.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

I've read that they combined Henry's two sisters into one character because they thought audiences might be confused with two different Princess Marys.

The only other shows or movies I had ever seen Sam Neill in were Jurassic Park and The Omen III so I was pleasantly surprised by how good he was as Cardinal Wolsey. I also liked Maria Doyle Kennedy a lot too.

I enjoyed Season 2 a great deal although there too they played a bit fast and loose with historical fact.

The one thing that bugs me about the show is the decision to keep Henry young handsome and fit long after he was a fat bloated old man historically. I just don't buy their reasoning that today's audiences won't accept characters that aren't handsome or beautiful.