"The Secret Queen" (2013)- ZDF Documentary about Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kit

Courtier
City
Vienna
Country
Austria
"The Secret Queen" (2013)- ZDF Documentary about Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Today the german TV station ZDF will show a new documentary about CP Mary according to ZDF the secret Queen of Denmark and the strongest weapon of the Danish Monarchy because of her huge popularity. It can later be watched online as soon as the documentary has been broadcasted. I will post the link to the mediathek after the broadcast from 20.15 - 21.00.

Thanks very much for the information about the new documentary, Kit :flowers:

I will appreciate and look forward to if you post the link later :flowers:

It seems to be mostly clips from previous documentaries but nothing new,

I liked it. It was nice seeing some of those clips again.

I watched the programme. (It's a great thing that public service channels now subtitle their shows in the languages of neighbouring countries).

It was actually a well balanced and informative docu, even though it naturally couldn't be comprehensive nor detailed and there were a few minor factual mistakes.
I liked that it dealt with the positive sides of the DRF, but also the things that had been controversial over the years i.e. Prince Henrik's tantrums, Frederik not being particular good at speeches, Mary initially getting some critisism for only being interested in fashion.

The comparison in the costs of having a monarchy and having a German Bundes President and his predecessors was interesting. The presidents cost twice as much as an entire Danish royal family.

There was also an assesment of the value of the DRF in regards to PR, export and so on. The figures are of course debatable. According to the expert Mary's worth alone is two billion (I believe it was Dollars) a year, while she costs 1.5 million a years. - Even if her worth is just a quarter or even a tenth, it's still a good investment.

In the beginning we saw Mary talking about how she looked at Frederik sitting beside her in a car on the way to an event and that "he looked like something out of a movie. It was something that could have happened 300 years ago. - Wow"!

Mary in particular was praised in this docu, and it was mentioned that the greatest strength of Frederik was Mary, while some would claim that Frederik's greatest strenght is that he is not envious of Mary - i.e. her success and popularity and that she is in many ways upstaging him.

Last edited:
The comparison in the costs of having a monarchy and having a German Bundes President and his predecessors was interesting. The presidents cost twice as much as an entire Danish royal family.

That is also because we have at the Moment 5 former Presidents who are still leaving. Two of them are already wellover 90 yerrs old so if you wait a few years and there are only 2 former Presidents costs will be quiet a bit lesser.

Such comparisons are ridiculous. In Denmark live 5.5 Mio people, in Germany 81 Mio. Of course the Head of State for 81 Mio. people will be more expensive because of what has to be covered.

Furthermore, many people prefer to pay more for the privilege to get rid of the HoS after a period of time. In a monarchy, people will be stuck with a HoS who might not be up to the task and proves to be a waste of space.

Back to the docu, I liked it, it wasnt as sugary as usual and I liked that they mentioned some critical points too. It seems that even these days monarchy & Denmark are a good match.

Agree with you all about the docu. Nothing new but nevertheless well made and despite the short running time quite informative.

That is also because we have at the Moment 5 former Presidents who are still leaving. Two of them are already wellover 90 yerrs old so if you wait a few years and there are only 2 former Presidents costs will be quiet a bit lesser.

Indeed. But ex-presidents are no longer a part of the show. And every five years or so there is a new ex-president, so the total costs won't fluctuate much.

Such comparisons are ridiculous. In Denmark live 5.5 Mio people, in Germany 81 Mio. Of course the Head of State for 81 Mio. people will be more expensive because of what has to be covered.

Only to a degree. A Bundespräsident is representative, so there is a limit to how big a staff, accommodation, how many cleaners and cars he/she needs.
I would guess that the biggest difference in cost between the DRF and the German President is that the Germans have more and larger "gala-shows" and more transportation.
I don't think, basic costs for staff, housing and the daily running are that different between the two countries.

(I've left out security, because that's not a part of the official budget of the DRF).

ADDED: To put it into perspective the individual Dane pay roughly what is the equivalent of 1½ pizza a year for the DRF. Or some 12 € a year. - The individual German pay roughly 26 million € divided by 81 million = 0.32 € a year for their presidency. So who get most value for their money?

Last edited:
Well, if anything could turn me into a true monarchist it's that ridiculous "German Presidency" show - and to think you have to pay a lifelong annuity for someone who was not up to the task and threw/had to throw in the towel.
We are luckier in Austria. Our presidents usually stay longer and the one before the current one died on the last day of his presidency.

Muhler, IIRC it was Euros not Dollars.
And IMO this was not a documentary about CP Mary (despite the title) but about the DRF and simply a 45min version of "Kongehuset Indenfra" with a few German points of view thrown in.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks Ricarda. :) Euros it is then.

Mary in particular was praised in this docu, and it was mentioned that the greatest strength of Frederik was Mary, while some would claim that Frederik's greatest strenght is that he is not envious of Mary - i.e. her success and popularity and that she is in many ways upstaging him.

thank you Muhler for the overview :flowers:

and i Kinda agree with your last statement. I think one of Frederik's greatest strength is that he lets Mary shine, recognizing her strengths. I think he has mentioned this in the past, in overseas visits together, saying that they make a great team, and he enjoys it. (that the attention is mostly on her);)

I think Mary has said that Frederik was a huge support in her starting the Mary Foundation.

And IMO this was not a documentary about CP Mary (despite the title) but about the DRF and simply a 45min version of "Kongehuset Indenfra" with a few German points of view thrown in.

Agree with you.

I haven't seen it and can't wait to but I think Mary and Frederik have something very special going on. Without being vain, she seems the total fashionista and yet Fred still wears red trousers! Now if that isn't mutual admiration and affirmation I don't know what is! ;)

I really like how close the Danish royals are and how they like working together. I too like how Frederik allow Mary to shine and not push her in the background. I see William, Willem, Haakon, Felipe and Joachim doing the same thing, allowing their wives to shine.

Frederik & Mary seems to be very connected with the people.

I haven't seen it and can't wait to but I think Mary and Frederik have something very special going on. Without being vain, she seems the total fashionista and yet Fred still wears red trousers! Now if that isn't mutual admiration and affirmation I don't know what is! ;)
Red trousers is a "must" among US east coast wealthy men. Just visit the Hamptons or Martha's Vineyard and you'll see more red trousers (and bright green and yellow) that one even know existed. Fred knows the message he is sending by wearing his red slacks.

:previous: Hamptons? Martha's Vinyard? Erm . . . No! The damage to the retina's could be permanent! :D

Today the german TV station ZDF will show a new documentary about CP Mary according to ZDF the secret Queen of Denmark and the strongest weapon of the Danish Monarchy because of her huge popularity. It can later be watched online as soon as the documentary has been broadcasted. I will post the link to the mediathek after the broadcast from 20.15 - 21.00.
Hello Kit
Thankyou for the heads up on this documentary. I watched it but I could only understand one of the speakers, Simon Anholt who was speaking English. I did hear him say something about princess Mary and of her being a good investment I assume because of the revenue she generates. Some of that documentary I already have in dvd's of the Danish royals but I would dearly love to hear it all in English. Do you think it may eventually be translated into English?
Kind Regards John (Demolay)

Back
Top Bottom