"The Queen" (2006) - Film about Elizabeth II and the Death of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You never know when you have the truth or it is embelished. Yes, I am sure there is license here, but there are also several books dealing with the death of Diana, they cannot all contain totally false statements, otherwise there would have been libel suits. Ghillies may talk, too. The faceless servants seem to talk. I have seen that for the right buck almost anyone will talk.
We all know, I believe that no book written about the death of Diana could be 100% accurate. IF Charles or a member of his family wrote a book, themselves, detailing exactly what they did and how they felt, that would be one thing. There is not such a book so all you have is the authors view of what might or might not have happened or been said. The trouble with the Diana books is they all seem to rely on one another for their 'facts', although I would be the first to admit I have not read them all. Friends who have read a variety all seem to think such and such a 'story' was written in someone elses book before the book they are reading it in.
As you know, it is as rare as rocking horse sh*t for members of the RF to sue for libel. Just as well or they would forever be in the courts.

With reference to the shooting incident, there were Gillies (taken from the Scottish Gaelic word Gille, Ghillies are a type of Brogue) out with the shooting party (if one even took place), they would have been contacted to ensure that shooting within that area stopped, however, the film clearly showed that HM was on her own and that shooting continued, so there were not any Gillies to 'talk' and the scene was not only invented but inaccurate.

I cannot imagine that the whole monarchy will fall, because a 36 year old woman, died in a terrible accident and the world mourned.

I did not say that Diana would destroy the monarchy but reactions such as the one to her death could well cause the downfall of the monarchy because it involved a lot of hatred and anger towards the Royal Family. Mass anger and hatred towards the royal family always pose a danger to the institution especially if it causes a longterm downfall in the reputation of the persons that are the target of this fury - the queen first as the present monarch but secondly Charles as the future monarch.

Well, Ysbel, if that is what will take to take down the monarchy, it still has to be what a majority of people in Great Britain want. That's how, I suppose it works. I just don't think a bunch of angry people will appear at the palace with pitchforks. This isn't the French Revolution. If it happens, it will happen, by the electorate.

I just don't think a bunch of angry people will appear at the palace with pitchforks.

There will be no need for pitchforks to overturn a monarchy nor the majority of an electorate, I'm afraid. All it needs is a small vocal minority who are against the monarchy and a larger public that may still see value in the institution but for whom the situation with Diana caused them to stop caring about the Royal Family so that they are too disinterested to speak out against the vocal minority when time to speak up has come.

Then when the monarchy is gone; it is rather too late to bring it back if they change their minds.

First of all, how can that occur. It seems to me they will not be sent packing unless a majority objects. And, if, a majority, just don't care, as you alledge, then they are in disfavor and that will be that. I know you have an unwritten constitution, but losing the rights somewhat guaranteed in this would be far more devastating than losing the RF. They are just icing, IMHO, not the cake. And all this because of one young Princess and her death. Seems unlikely.

Prince Charles' friends are powerful enough to ensure his reign not being marred by Republican referendum, imo.

You are definitely not the only person on the planet, a great many people, not on these forums, think it is laughably inaccurate and it worries them that royalty 'fans' could mistake it for anything other than a work of fiction. :flowers:

Looking at it from it being an accurate portrayal of actual events, I suppose it might be close to what happened (with a few small embellishments here and there maybe)...But I simply look at it from how Her Majesty might have felt as a human being...it must have been embarrassing and gut wrenching to have such an event of her reign/life being exploited for profit and public nitpicking.

If you look at the history of the Royal Family, they have been an integral part of British society for 1000 years and has served as a unifying force to the British people giving them an identify on the world stage.

It is my opinion that the Royal Family cannot unify the nation if one of their members makes a public relations campaign against the rest of the family and succeeds but if you don't think of the institution of the Royal Family as important then I can understand why you think the way you do.

Last edited:
Looking at it from it being an accurate portrayal of actual events, I suppose it might be close to what happened (with a few small embellishments here and there maybe.
Ahh and there we most definitely differ! :flowers:

I find it incredibly unlikely that the writers/directors of this film were able to encourage servants/gillies/staff to give them so many alleged 'facts'. They can only be guessing at how any of the family acted on hearing the news or afterwards. Where is the evidence that a shoot, involving any of the family took place, where is the evidence that Charles said this or that, that HM did nothing more than try to explain to Blair that she wanted to keep the boys away from the media at this time. Where is the evidence that Blair said or did anything, especially as AC has since told the world that the peoples princess tag had nothing to do with him.

I do know the proceedures involved in shoots on an estate and what happens in the unlikely event that HM (or anyone), drives or intends to drive into the shoot area.

We do know how some perfect strangers reacted, we know to some extent how the media reacted, but anything that was said or done away from the cameras can only be guesswork and should not be seen as what happened, IMO.

i'd have to agree with skydragon here. i think a lot of this is speculation when it comes to the thoughts or words of main characters.

i'd have to agree with skydragon here. i think a lot of this is speculation when it comes to the thoughts or words of main characters.

Like in every film that mentions or involves someone famous. When you create a character, you know exactly where you're going, what personnality he has, what reactions, etc. The problem with writing a movie about real people, is that you don't know them, it only can be an interpretation of what you thought they were. It's absolutely the same thing that happens with your friends, your family, everyone around you. You can't guess who they really are and sometimes they don't even know themselves ...

I find it incredibly unlikely that the writers/directors of this film were able to encourage servants/gillies/staff to give them so many alleged 'facts'. They can only be guessing at how any of the family acted on hearing the news or afterwards. Where is the evidence that a shoot, involving any of the family took place, where is the evidence that Charles said this or that, that HM did nothing more than try to explain to Blair that she wanted to keep the boys away from the media at this time. Where is the evidence that Blair said or did anything, especially as AC has since told the world that the peoples princess tag had nothing to do with him.

I do know the proceedures involved in shoots on an estate and what happens in the unlikely event that HM (or anyone), drives or intends to drive into the shoot area.

We do know how some perfect strangers reacted, we know to some extent how the media reacted, but anything that was said or done away from the cameras can only be guesswork and should not be seen as what happened, IMO.

No doubt, much of what you say is true, Skydragon.

Nonetheless, I recall that HM, personally, invited Dame Helen to dine at the Palace, following the release of the film.

I can only infer that the Queen was not displeased at the film's content, nor Dame Helen's depiction of events and Her Majesty's own reactions.

Nonetheless, I recall that HM, personally, invited Dame Helen to dine at the Palace, following the release of the film.
I recall the media reporting that Mirren had been invited and Mirren denying it. I also recall the media reports of Mirren turning down an invitation some time later, also denied. :flowers:

Helen Mirren Sends Her Regrets to Palace - washingtonpost.com

Mirren was sorry that she was unable to attend due to filming obligations
Thank you for finding the article! :flowers:

Unfortunately, The MoS is not renowned for accuracy or truth and the WP article does go on to say that "Representatives of Mirren and the queen could not immediately be reached for comment Monday". So no confirmation that this was anything more than media hype.

They also go on to say - Buckingham Palace said after the awards that it was "looking at a number of options" for a visit by Mirren, director Stephen Frears and writer Peter Morgan - which speaks of the PR department at work, rather than an endorsement by HM, IMO. :flowers:

Well, yes, but they could have just maintained a stony silence, I suppose, if the Queen had been seriously Not Amused.

Can you imagine the headline and general story content!​

Queen snubs 'The Queen'.

Today HM made clear her feelings on the oscar winning film starring Helen Mirren. In an unprecedented snub, HM refused to extend a welcome to the fabulous Mirren, despite the media trying to force her hand by declaring an invitation had been extended and refused. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How strange..... When I turned on this morning, instead of BBC news I got something called GMTV. Helen Mirren was on saying that she had received an invite from the palace but that she had been working on a film and had to turn it down. So there we are.... from the horses mouth, so to speak.

She also said, which I found strange, that she was a republican.... so why did she accept an honour from HM?

I still maintain the film is more fiction than fact, without statements from the principle players, it should never be seen as anything but. :flowers:

She accepted the honor, because she is not rude. Then the headlines would have been, " The Queen rude to the Queen". Or something like that. As for it being more fiction than fact, we really don't know and in the end result it really doesn't matter.

I simply have a problem of a movie made for the profit of others of an elderly, living monarch who has been an excellent friend of the United States and a diplomat supreme showcasing one of the most challenging and upsetting times in her personal life.

No different that movies made about the asassination of President Kennedy. For Jackie and the children that was very difficult, too. I am sure more difficult. It is just part of history. All movies are made for profit, that is their business. They make movies about wars, deaths of celebrities and sometimes of just plain nonsense. I doubt that the queen ran to see the film. When you are in the public eye, you are fair game.

Helen Mirren didn't exactly say she was a republican. She said she identifies as a 'Queenist', which means that like me she has an extra-ordinary amount of respect for the person of Queen Elizabeth II but I'd rather see the institution replaced with a President that I can vote for. Helen Mirren accepted a Damehood much in the same way as Maggie Smith and Judi Dench did - because it's what we offer. Britain gives Damehoods and with the sad reality that those of who want a Republic are going to wait a rather long time (unless we can muster up something in the next decade) then one has to accept things for what they are. The Damehood is the top honour she could recieve from the state and she certainly deserves it so she took it. I'm sure she would have taken a Dame Commander of the Order of British Excellence if we had it. Remember, she didn't get the Damehood as a result of this film.

As for the film itself being rude, when you're a public figure you expect to be portrayed. That can be an affectionate portrayal like this film was supposed to be or it can be a jokey cruel one like we saw with 'Spitting Image'. Thats public life.

She accepted the honor, because she is not rude. Then the headlines would have been, " The Queen rude to the Queen". Or something like that. As for it being more fiction than fact, we really don't know and in the end result it really doesn't matter.
She could have politely and discreetly have declined the award, many do.
Yes it does matter how this film portrays the private events surrounding the royals with regard to their actions over the death of an ex member of the family.

Except for forums such as this, nobody in the real world cares. Too much of importance to focus on, rather than how the RF reacted when Diana died. It is over, long over. They made a movie, people went to see it, next week it is part of the past. Star Wars 52. Mirren's studio spent a fortune on publicity and favors and she won the Oscar. It was hardly that inspiring a part, but that's Hollywood.

Helen Mirren has this habit of taking roles outside of her character. She took on the lead role of Detective Sargeant Jane Tennant even though she said she had been a cultural and intellectual snob who had previously thought that police officers were not too bright.

She did mention that she was quite surprised to find herself playing the Queen because she was brought up to think that the royals were totally superfluous and the sentiment around her family when she was growing up was republican.

Well, to be fair to Dame Helen, she did a cracking job despite the script she was given and that's all an actress can do. In this profession, you get a script and you take it because not doing it means not eating and even when you've made a fortune like Helen, you don't break the habit of a lifetime as a jobbing actor/actress. Now, I hated the film and thought it was dribble snot but Helen Mirren did the best she could. I'd also take umbridge with you saying it was an uninspiring part - it was a VERY inspiring part because the woman she was playing is inspiring but the script wasn't there to make that inspiring part an inspiring reality on the screen and what we saw, was one of our best actresses trying to make s**t look like sugar. It also isn't just Hollywood, it's everywhere and when was it ever different?

Look at the 1956 movie with Ingrid Bergman and Helen Hayes, 'Anastasia'. Now that movie has stunning costumes, the music is fabulous and the cast is gold. I mean, we're talking the cream of the crop from the well knowns such as Yul Brynner to the ones who should have been well knowns such as Martita Hunt. It won awards but the script was dire. That movie actually makes me flinch with embarrasment not because the actors are bad but because the script is and all too often in this profession, you see fabulous actors really let down by the script writers. But 'Anastasia' wasn't off limits. She'd been dead for quite a while but Anna Anderson wasn't and quite a few Romanovs were milling about - was it right to make the film and make money off of it? Well, that's the role of theatre and cinema - to entertain and to inform. Movies are not like 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' or 'African Queen' where we watch, enjoy but there's no reality in it at all. Movies have to be informative and when we say, "Well, this is off limits and so is that", then we're buying into censorship to spare blushes and I don't agree with that. At the same time, not every biographical film needs to be an axe in the back. 'The Nun's Story' was done exceptionally well, 'Evita' was a musical that was amazing with an equal measure of affection and criticism - these people existed and their stories have to be told.

Now, we don't know how true 'The Queen' was but I hope it inspired people to look into the reaction more than we were doing. I loathed the film but I was pleased that it made people think twice. It made people question the response and it showed the press for what they were. I think the problem is, we tend to think once history is over it's over and it isn't. It has to be constantly reviewed and re-evaluated so that we can pick up on what we've missed and learn from it. I thought the movie was sheep crap but I suppose it did encourage people to think twice and thats what that whole era in British history needed - a review. It was always being painted as the Queen bending to the public whereas in reality, it was the Queen doing what her Prime Minister advised which to me is much more significant when the roles should be reversed in that relationship if that's the system we have. I don't want that but I'm saying, if that's what we've got then it should work properly. Bear in mind that this is one of 3 films that Frears has made/is making about Tony Blair and in which Michael Sheen has played the former PM. I think if anything these films are a much needed look at the Blair premiership of which Di's death was unquestionably a big part.

I agree with you almost totally. The movies are there to make money, some times social commentary, such as films like Gentlemen's Agreement, but that really dates me. I cannot see the queen as inspiring, she is just a nice lady doing her job. She is hardly dramatic or a charasmatic speaker. She is not a Ghandi or a John Kennedy. But, right or wrong, and I certainly don't know what was fabricated or what was real, it showed the vagaries of the public and the difficult position the queen can be in, how and why she did what she did will never truly be know. In the end, we know the result, how they got there no longer remains important. I thought the film was dull.

The thing is, would JFK be inspiring or dramatic had he not been shot? After all, he was only reading what his speech writers gave him, the same as the Queen only reads what she's given by her speech writers. I think there's alot to be said for keeping a steady throne over the most volatile period in history when it could have gone down the swannee several times. Remember, it's been during her reign that Britain has changed beyond all recognition and for her to stay as a constant force I think she has to have some inspiring quality. But maybe thats being over sentimental about a woman who's just always been there. It's rather like the Queen Mother. Didn't say anything since 1947 but we all loved her. It's a funny thing popularity. I agree though, the film was dull. Potentially it could have been the great film they're lauding it as.

Back
Top Bottom