"The Queen" (2006) - Film about Elizabeth II and the Death of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm alone on the Stag scene, and perhaps with the rest of the symbolism deeply hidden within the film. It seems I'm the odd woman out, but that's nothing unusal for me.

Melodramatic or not the film was fantastic. See it if you can.

ON E!'s post-golden globe show the reporter interviewing Helen dropped one of her golden globes. they had put them on a small revolving platform and when the reporter went to pick them up to give back to helen she knocked one of them down. I have to say helen was so graceful. she got startled but immediately started laughing and joking abt it. the poor reporter almost had a heart attack-said it was the worst moment of her career. Thankfully the globe was apparently completely fine.
I wish we could know what the real queen thinks of all the praise for the movie and accolades helen is receiving for the role.

I doubt a woman who is Head of State of sixteen countries has time to worry about a work of complete and utter fiction that is pure eye-klinker for the dolts.

It has been reported that the film's team have been invited to lunch at Buckingham Palace sometime this year.

Beatrixfan- I know you hated the movie and that her majesty has more pressing things to think about but I think her majesty is only human and im sure she must be aware of this film and that helen is getting awards all over the place for it (since the queen reads the papers and watches tv)--- im sure she must have some sort of opinion about all of this.

I have to say, I went to see this film with my husbabnd who is not really interested in royalty and who really had a more negative view of the queen but after the film completely changed his views and was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time believing some things in the film---including the whole chat abt abdication and the way the other royals were portrayed. Nevertheless i view it as a film ( i tried to put a lot of my own biases aside when seeing this film) and i think that it was a good movie and that helen was superb-many other actresses would have played the role flatly and made her seem more like a villain in this story but helen humanized her and look the simple fact is that people around the world have had a very very negative view of the queen since diana's death and this movie has changed the views of many people independently of whether any of it is to be taken as true or not. Regardless of whether anything in that film is true I love QEII and IM glad to see something that finally doesnt tell the story from the whole queen as villain perspective.

and as for the rumors that they'd been invited to the palace--helen mirren denied it and said that it had been distorted (which did leave me wondering what exactly she meant by distorted)

Oh I'm sure she's aware of it. Personally I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest the Queen would enjoy the film when it painted her mother, husband and son out to be complete chinless wonders. I think Dame Helen is a marvellous actress. She gave a flawless performance in 'Calendar Girls', her portrayal of Elizabeth I was simply amazing and I adored her Mrs Wilson character in 'Gosford Park'. I deeply respect her for finding a love for the Queen - but to some of us, this isn't anything new. Dame Helen speaks about the Queen as if she is a young Princess again, being discovered for the first time. Well, some of us have loved Her Majesty all our lives and have always put her before ourselves. Even if we believed something she did was wrong, we supported her. Even if we believed she should have said more, we supported her. That is unconditional love that IMO, every true and loyal subject should have for their monarch. My loyalty to the Queen has never waivered. It isn't the result of some film with an actress in a dodgy wig. It's natural. It just is. I'm very pleased that Helen Mirren has enjoyed playing the Queen and I'm delighted for her that she's won a few gongs for it but I think all this talk of it being the greatest film of the year and the Queen's favourite is pure fiction, just like the script of said film.

Elise27 said:
I have to say, I went to see this film with my husbabnd who is not really interested in royalty and who really had a more negative view of the queen but after the film completely changed his views and was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

How interesting! My boss just got back from London and saw the Queen on the flight home.

She said Helen Mirren played the Queen wonderfully - she said she hated the bitchy Queen and thought it was Mirren's best performance.

I never thought someone could see that movie and interpret the Queen as a really nasty bitchy woman.

Beatrixfan-I agree that the queen would be at least uncomfortable with the way the other members of the royal family are represented. and i'll bet loads of money it isnt the queen's favorite. nevertheless i do think it might have a positive impact on how some perceive the queen afterall not everyone is as good a subject as you, and i also meant more internationally (not that her majesty would be very concerned with what people outside of her territories think of her) because i think in england, at least in my experience when i lived there, the queen continues to be respected (I even met young people who admire her, one particular person i met who was 19 told me she admired the queen because she thought the queen was a strong woman), the negative view of her following diana's death was shortlived but here in the states and in other places i think that many people still perceived the queen negatively as a result of those events and the movie and the publicity around the film and the film itself has had an impact on that I think. and by the way why are you not elizabethfan or lilibet fan if you are such a loyal subject?!
BeatrixFan said:
Oh I'm sure she's aware of it. Personally I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest the Queen would enjoy the film when it painted her mother, husband and son out to be complete chinless wonders. I think Dame Helen is a marvellous actress. She gave a flawless performance in 'Calendar Girls', her portrayal of Elizabeth I was simply amazing and I adored her Mrs Wilson character in 'Gosford Park'. I deeply respect her for finding a love for the Queen - but to some of us, this isn't anything new. Dame Helen speaks about the Queen as if she is a young Princess again, being discovered for the first time. Well, some of us have loved Her Majesty all our lives and have always put her before ourselves. Even if we believed something she did was wrong, we supported her. Even if we believed she should have said more, we supported her. That is unconditional love that IMO, every true and loyal subject should have for their monarch. My loyalty to the Queen has never waivered. It isn't the result of some film with an actress in a dodgy wig. It's natural. It just is. I'm very pleased that Helen Mirren has enjoyed playing the Queen and I'm delighted for her that she's won a few gongs for it but I think all this talk of it being the greatest film of the year and the Queen's favourite is pure fiction, just like the script of said film.

ElizabethFan was far too long! And I think Queen Bea deserves a little nod of affection from fellow Europeans.

ysbel said:
How interesting! My boss just got back from London and saw the Queen on the flight home.

She said Helen Mirren played the Queen wonderfully - she said she hated the bitchy Queen and thought it was Mirren's best performance.

I never thought someone could see that movie and interpret the Queen as a really nasty bitchy woman.

thats funny i think that is true, to me Helen's queen did seem bitchy at times but then i found her bitchyness rather funny and I liked it that she was so strong but i thought that well one comes to understand her. I mean if we for a second believed most of this film i think one has to understand where she is coming from and why she is the way she is and i think that "the queen" does make at least an attempt at conveying that she has the feelings she has because of tradition and her position and the circumstances with diana and then you sort of feel sorry for her. and also she is rude to tony blair but here she is having been queen for such a long time and along comes this "new kid on the block" who seems to think he knows better than her. at least that was my take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elise27 said:
thats funny i think that is true, to me Helen's queen did seem bitchy at times but then i found her bitchyness rather funny and I liked it that she was so strong but i thought that well one comes to understand her. I mean if we for a second believed most of this film i think one has to understand where she is coming from and why she is the way she is and i think that "the queen" does make at least an attempt at conveying that she has the feelings she has because of tradition and her position and the circumstances with diana and then you sort of feel sorry for her. and also she is rude to tony blair but here she is having been queen for such a long time and along comes this "new kid on the block" who seems to think he knows better than her. at least that was my take on it.

Well I thought sometimes that Helen Mirren played the Queen as Her Majesty Jane Tennison from her portrayal of the police chief in the Prime Suspect series (come to think of it, I never imagined the Queen as a Chief Inspector Superintendent before) but she always played her with an inner sense of moral code unlike the smarmy public relations man that worked for Tony Blair.

So I could see where people could say Mirren's portrayal was tough but I couldn't see the nastiness that my boss saw.

We all are a more or less bitchy and the Queen is the kind of person who is very nice if you are on her good side, but wrong her and...:ohmy:

Still waters run deep...:ermm:

Ysbel, maybe your boss had the same reaction the Brits had (in the movie) about Diana's death? maybe if that person doesn't follow royalty wouldn't be able to get the subtleties we all get as royalty fans...:ermm:

crisiñaki said:
We all are a more or less bitchy and the Queen is the kind of person who is very nice if you are on her good side, but wrong her and...:ohmy:

Still waters run deep...:ermm:

Ysbel, maybe your boss had the same reaction the Brits had (in the movie) about Diana's death? maybe if that person doesn't follow royalty wouldn't be able to get the subtleties we all get as royalty fans...:ermm:

I have to say that although the queen seems like a very nice person, when she looks dead serious or rather unamused she seems like the last person one would want to cross/anger---i hypothesize that the queen might be the sort of person that can completely scare you by the way she's looking at you--my own mother had that gift so she never had to yell at us all she had to do was give us The look and that was it.

Ok I know I am a little late to the party (I waited until it was at one of the cheap theatres) but I have a few things to add.

I think the problem with the Queen Mother character was that she was that she wasn't the Queen Mother but more of a plot device used to explain things to the audiance (I think expostion character is the term), but the character wasn't written to be The Queen Mother.

With regards to Prince Philip character I had problems with the way he was protrayed to, I think they gave us a lot of background into why the Queen acted that way but not Prince Philip, yet it did seem that he was on screen alot I think they should have made his character a little more deminsional or cut his role down a bit. The whole Margaret bit was a little over the top in my opinion.

I think there was only so much they could do with the Prince Charles character without making William and Harry more prominate so I understand why he came off the way he did. But he did come off incrediable weak, you have to wonder if he was in a state of real shock or they just really dropped the ball with his character.

The part with the stag, the first part was interesting but the second part I don't think needed to be done (where she goes to see the body). Other than that I thought Mirren and Sheen did good jobs with there roles. I liked the outbrust part that Sheen did towards the end.

For some reason though the scene that hit me the most was when they were looking at the flowers. It never occured to me that there would be nasty messages directed at the RF. Looking back I should have realized but still that part made me unbeliavable sad.

Helen Mirren was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress

The Queen was nominated for best film.

Stephen Frears for best director.

Peter Morgan for best screenplay.

Consolata Boyle for best costumes.

Alexandre Desplat for best score.

I watched the film and it seemed that Prince Philip was sort of a villain.His character was outspoken and sarcastic.He wasn't even affected or felt shocked after hearing Diana had an accident.He was even reluctant to leave Balmoral.The Queen had more heart than her husband as portrayed in the story..

Last edited:
Mahoogie said:
I watched the film and it seemed that Prince Philip was sort of a villain.His character was outspoken and sarcastic.He wasn't even affected or felt shocked after hearing Diana had an accident.He was even reluctant to leave Balmoral.The Queen had more heart than her husband as portrayed in the story..

Only don't forget that it's only the directors view and in no way what might have actually happened. ;)
Personally I was very disappointed with Prince Philip and Prince Charles's characters - they looked weak and unfinished.

Last edited:
Where can I get a DVD of the film?

crisiñaki said:

You have a point crisinaki. She doesn't follow royalty at all and some of the questions she asked me were quite funny. She asked, why is there no King? Doesn't the son always inherit the throne? I told her that in Britain the son inherits the throne if there IS a son but if there isn't then the daughter inherits to keep the throne from jumping to a distant relation. She thought that was fascinating.

auntie said:
Where can I get a DVD of the film?

I don't think the DVD is out yet. You can sign up at Amazon for them to e-mail you when it becomes available.

Hmm, you think after the Golden Globe speech, the screenwriter of the movie was a little hostile to EIIR?

In that case, its all the more remarkable that the Queen's reputation has been rehabilitated somewhat as a result of the movie.

Luckily a good director and good actors can overcome a one-sided script.

The speechwriter had a very weird acceptance speech at the GG, In my opinion he was going to make an anti-war statment, but then changed his mind at the last minute or got cut off.

Dear Members,

It is my understanding that Queen Elizabeth II is indeed a person you do not trifle with. She has that capacity which all the older royalty had, she can freeze you in your tracks. There is the story that one Grand Princess of the Russian Imperial Family faced a mob of rioting peasants getting ready to burn down her country estate and stared them down into respect. I have always said that Queen Mary, whom we all have such fun portraying as drunk on jewelry was a formidable character as well. She could probably have stopped a Wehrmacht division on her own. So QEII comes by it honestly. Besides who wants limp and brain dead pasta with a crwon on its head. Give me royalty that is ROYAlTY any day of the week. Cheers.

Grand Princess

It was Grand Duchess. Many of the prominent Russian females in the royal family were Grand Duchesses. "Princess" was considered to be too low. Grand Duchess was a more simple yet imposing title.

Oppie said:
The speechwriter had a very weird acceptance speech at the GG, In my opinion he was going to make an anti-war statment, but then changed his mind at the last minute or got cut off.

I heard he got cut off. Apparently some members of the press got miffed that he got cut off - they wanted to hear the whole thing!

He probably was just in a snit that people started having a good opinion of the Queen after seeing his movie. I don't think that was the effect he was after.

Thomas Parkman said:
Besides who wants limp and brain dead pasta with a crwon on its head.

Not me, Thomas! I'm with you; I want royalty to look and act like royalty.

Hello

I saw the film yesterday, and my comments are the following.
- Hellen Mirren played wonderfully
- All events were known, the film did not bring any new element, but it was a wonderfull description of the situation. They showed very well the "sclerosed" mentality of the Royal Family.
- Despite personally I do not appreciate the Queen, I do not like her, and I beleve them being useless, but to this film they descrive very well her doubts about the subject. She managed, despite her fossilized mentality, to understand the risk and to accept to change, even if it was just for a week.

I Loved and understood it ! my mom Thinks it made the Queen like bad.

Back
Top Bottom