"The Queen" (2006) - Film about Elizabeth II and the Death of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, from what I hear, it's more about the Windsors vs the Blairs which is a very hot topic in Britain.

Me too. I hear that Mirren and Sheen do a wonderful job and that the Queen puts Blair in his place more than once. ;)

WindsorIII said:
it will reveal the thought/emotional process she went through when dealing with the death of Diana and the reality of how much people around the world loved her

Actually, it will reveal what the scriptwriters are guessing were her thoughts and emotions.

Queen 'baffled by grief over Diana'
By Mike Collett-White in Venice
September 02, 2006 08:14pm
some quotes taken from the above article:

...QUEEN Elizabeth was unable to comprehend the public's grief at Princess Diana's death in 1997 but was finally convinced to cast aside royal protocol by Prime Minister Tony Blair, a new film shows.
...Actor Helen Mirren, who has just won an Emmy for her title role in the mini-series Elizabeth I, takes on the unusual task of portraying a living monarch in the film, which also explores newly-elected Blair's role in the crisis..
..Michael Sheen reprises the part of Blair which he also played in the television drama The Deal. ...

Lady Marmalade said:
I was just trying to be polite by answering Toledo's question. I know what this thread is about. I just doing an act of kindness by helping another poster out.
I apologize to all for that.

No need to apologize for anything, Lady Marmalade. And thanks for helping out with the information related to both the film and the actors that are in it. Most of the buzz we heard over here is not just about the film The Queen and the issue on it but on the lead actress herself, Dame Helen Mirren, who just won an Emmy for best actress in the miniseries Elizabeth (is also won best actor, best director and best series/ or TV movie categories). So, everyone is counting the movie The Queen will also crown Helen Mirren with an Oscar next spring.
ps. Speaking of Spring, thanks for the hint on Helen Mirren's version of Tenesse Williams' play The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone,I did go out and got the movie! Thanks :flowers:
A cousin of mine also pointed out to me recently Helen Mirren was none other than the young actress we saw as kids in a movie called Excalibur, playing the evil Morgana, or Morgan Le Fey as she is known in English speaking countries. If she wins the oscar for The Queen someone should make a DVD Box Edition of her great performances about members of the Royal House.

Last edited:
A montage of Helen Mirren as the Queen from IMDB.com

In the first pic (top left) you can see actress Sylvia Sims playing The Queen Mother. James Cromwell plays the Duke of Edinburgh, Michael Sheen plays Tony Blair, Helen McCroy (who played Lady Castlemaine in Charles II : Power and Passion) plays Cherie.

You can see the trailers here;

http://1.aamoviez.com/trailers/Queen,_The

These pics are from aamoviez.

An advisor, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh from the film

Dame Helen as The Queen

http://imageshack.us
And with the actor playing Charles...

Last edited:
The Queen' Explores Tension Between Royal Duty, Public Passion

By Iain Millar
Sept. 4 (Bloomberg)

The controversy arises because it does something very unfashionable indeed: it makes queen and prime minister look human.

There are plenty of laughs in the film, but none that set out to humiliate. The humor comes mainly from the clash of two wildly differing cultures. Blair mocks a courtier who pronounces ``precedent'' as ``preceedent.'' Prince Philip, (played by the veteran American actor James Cromwell), describes the list of mourners at the princess's funeral as a ``chorus line of soap stars and homosexuals.'' The Queen Mother (Sylvia Syms) is put out that her long- established funeral arrangements are to be adapted for Diana's.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aLu6X.HoU9W8&refer=uk

THE QUEEN movie to be released in 2006

I have discovered that a movie about Her Majesty following the days of Diana's death will be released later this year. However, everything I read says limited release in NY and LA....will this be released to mainstream USA anytime and if so, when. I don't want to have to go to New York to watch a movie..

http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/archive/moviearchive.php/The_Queen/8711

Will the movie come out in the u.s.

just watched the trailer! it looks good, hope that the movie comes out in singapore but its limited release ): ! i liked the part when she mentioned that she wont go to london until she attends to her grandchildren. wow... her british upperclass accent is really good... i love british accents :D

All of this is so interesting. I am really looking forward to this movie b/c it seems really well-done. Has anyone heard about (or interested in) the film score by Alexandre Desplat? He recently did Syriana. Amazing composer. And the soundtrack will feature the Verdi song played at Diana's funeral. Pretty intense stuff. Any comments?

This looks like the soundtrack. It should be out in another couple of weeks.

Helen Mirren has said that she "fell in love" with the Queen while playing the part in this film.

In the article at this link
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/film/article-23365237-details/There+go+my+invitations+to+the+Palace/article.do

she says:

"I believe in nobility of character and that certain people have it. It doesn't matter what class they come from. I think the Queen has it. If she had been a housewife or a working-class woman, her intrinsic character is quite noble. I do believe that."

Which has now made me "fall in love" with Helen Mirren!

I think the concept of "The Queen" is interesting, however I won't be going to see it because at the end of the day nobody knows how the Queen really felt/reacted in the aftermath to Diana's death.

I am really looking forward to it. I think H Mirren is excellent.

I also think it is very interesting to explore what the Queen's feelings might have been when Di died as so much focus was on the death itself.

I saw the trailer last night (The Last Kiss) I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. The trailer made it look very dramatic and interesting, but I still haven't been able to shake the fact that I am watching actors re-creating events it seems that it is hard to suspend belief here, especially since they use the 'real' Diana.

I am happy that this movie was made so I could see how The Queen really felt about the death of Diana, The Princess Of Wales she is very good at hinding her true feelings. I wish that there was closure to Diana's death and they can find what really happened to her. If it was a accident or murder ?

I don't think the movie gives real insides on how Her Majesty felt those days; it's merely the director’s point of view.
As for the ideas about Lady Diana's death, I am not sure there are any in the movie but even if they stated she had been kidnapped by the aliens, it would be just another point of view, unless of course, they would provide pictures of the kidnap, interview with the aliens, where the former would disclose highly psychological motives, that made them kidnap Princess Diana.

It's just a movie, it might be slightly more accurate then the rest of stories about that time, I don’t know, but nevertheless, it's only a movie.

I guess we will never really know how The Queen felt about Diana's death but it is good to see how the directeor thought how Her Majesty might have felt .But I wish the true would be known like the old saying what is ever in the darkess comes to light.

Went a saw the film on Saturday night, persuading my sisters that they have to see it as well that it was an historic event. The week of Diana’s death seen through the eyes of the Queen. I truly enjoyed the film. The content was fantastic and Helen Mirren played the Queen superbly. The only weak part was Michael Sheen as Tony Blair, he seem to be overplayed or something. I know that the week that Diana died was difficult for everyone involved but the Queen was thinking about her grandchildren…even though in the film, she said duty first, self second, for once she allowed her family to take precedence. If you don’t want to see the film, don’t see it, but don’t just case doubts before you have a chance to see the film, humorous and poignant in places…

I hope this will play in my hometown, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Of course in all truth we'll never for certain what the Queen and her family actually did or said at a given time, but this seems like the best answer to an oft asked question..."what is the Queen really like?"...

admittedly off topic: when I saw th efilm version of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" I commented to a friend afterwards that the computer "Deep Thought" sounded somewhat like Queen Elizabeth..and it was actually the voice of Helen Mirren!

Last edited:
I have just come home from the film which was shown before time at the Copenhagen Film Festival. I think it is a good movie and I think that Helen Mirren is fantastic in the role as the Queen.There is especially one scene with a deer who is hunted and killed in the highland (a beautiful symbol of Diana whose name report to the Roman godess Diana who was often pictured as a deer). The Queen tries to save it but without luck... The Queen Mother is a funny character; so is Prince Phillip. Prince Charles in my opinion is way to 'good' and profound and says a lot of selfrighteous things...

Despite many people in the cinema laughed all the time I found the movie serious and sensational...

Sophus, were there many mentions of Diana? What I mean to say is, is this a Diana fest? I'm tempted to go and see it but I don't want to have to walk out of the cinema after paying a fortune so I'd rather be warned before hand.

I am looking forward to this filim when it is on in December in Australia. I don't expect to see some real things about royal family. However I am interested in the actrors and actresses' acting. How Dame Helen Mirren and "Tony Blair" to show their different attitudes towards Diana, Princess of Wales's funeral. And how the actor which played Prince Charles to give us a Mammy's boy feeling. I am amused to see Blair to kiss Queen's hand in the preview in TV program. About Prince Charles, I am always curious to see how people regard his image: Mammy's boy. Just sweet.:)

I am curious to see the figure that is Sir Robert Fellowes.

It appears to me that there is some inaccuracy. I have always read that it was the PoW who told the Queen that Diana had been killed.

Sophus said:
There is especially one scene with a deer who is hunted and killed in the highland (a beautiful symbol of Diana whose name report to the Roman godess Diana who was often pictured as a deer). The Queen tries to save it but without luck...

That sounds sweet... but why would a queen who loves stalking deer want to save THIS deer? Sounds overly sentimental IMO. I guess it makes for a good movie.

Back
Top Bottom