The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Aristocracy

I saw this movie on the plane coming back from my christmas vacation and I really liked it. It is a bit slow at times, but I though the tone and the generally message it was trying to portray were important. Basically, here is a women who has given her life for her country. Helen Mirren was excellent at the Queen, she looked exactly like the real Queen and her mannerisms were dead on. Also, the actor who played Tony Blair (don't know his name) was really good as well and very believable even though he didn't really look like Tony Blair. Overally, i think anyone interested in royalty will mostly definitley enjoy this movie. However, my sister who is not into royalty at all didn't really liked it that much and was confused at times asking me lots of questions. Also, loved who they incorperated real news footage with regular acting. Was a nice touch that gave the movie more of documentary feel.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Because Helen Mirren's performance is riveting; because the film gives an insight into HM's humour, humanity and iron sense of duty; and because the film will leave you sad at a senseless and tragic death, and angry at the equally senseless hysteria which threatened to engulf the throne. It's a powerful and emotional ride, and not always pleasant.
Absolutely, Warren.

I just got back from the 2:45 pm showing of The Queen and I was blown away.

As a fan of Helen Mirren, since I first saw her in the film The Mosquito Coast, I believe this, The Queen, is the finest performance of her career.

The movie was a real treat for anyone who is a royal watcher. Furthermore, this film shows the interesting dynamic between Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and PM Tony Blair. It was interesting to see the young PM evolve during the crisis; more importantly, I was intrigued with the way he was portrayed by Michael Sheen.

The symbolism within the film brilliant as well. Case and point: the Stag. I don't believe I need to discuss it in detail, but if you have seen the film you know what I mean.

I highly recommend this movie, and if you haven't seen it yet, run to your local cinema today.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Actually although I enjoyed the movie, I thought it should have been named the PM rather than the Queen. Just joking but the movie made the PM out to be a much more interesting character precisely for the reason that the PM did appear to evolve and grow in the movie.

As for the stag scene, it was my least favorite of the scenes, a bit too melodramatic for my tastes which contrasted quite sharply with the sharp and slightly acerbic portrayal of the Queen by Helen Mirren.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

It's official-Helen Mirren wins the Best Actress Golden Globe!
in her acceptance speech, she said '___ years ago, a woman named Elizabeth Windsor stepped into the roll of a lifetime...I think you fell in love with her, not with me...since she already has an orb, it goes with her sceptor, so I will gratefully accept this one.'

Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
It's official-Helen Mirren wins the Best Actress Golden Globe!
in her acceptance speech, she said '___ years ago, a woman named Elizabeth Windsor stepped into the roll of a lifetime...I think you fell in love with her, not with me...since she already has an orb, it goes with her sceptor, so I will gratefully accept this one.'
I'm so very pleased that she won for this role. Her tribute to HM in the acceptance speech touched me greatly.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

im so happy
Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope she wins the Oscar as well, she deserves it
Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was also happy that she won the GG for playing Elizabeth I as well.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Courtier

It is a wonderful movie, and this from a man who does not like movies. They are too noisy and too jumpy. The thing that I found impressive was the presence of silence. The presentation of space and great human dignity. Of course the scene with the stag was a bit of a set up but still moving never the less. There were the marvelous moments of humour and the opening scene where the Queen grants her first audience to Tony Blair is hilarious. Warren, I could not agree with you more.

As for cat mucous, as you so delicately describe it, dear BeatrixFan, haven't been to any real American movies lately, have you??? Cheers.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
...As for the stag scene, it was my least favorite of the scenes, a bit too melodramatic for my tastes which contrasted quite sharply with the sharp and slightly acerbic portrayal of the Queen by Helen Mirren.
I liked the movie, apart from the depiction of Prince Charles and Prince Philip. But the stag scene was tasteless, imo. And yes, it was also too melodramatic. Up to that point, I was actually quite surprised at how much I liked the movie. I must admit, I was very sceptical at the beginning.

In any case, Helen Mirren was excellent as the Queen. So congratulations on well deserved award!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm alone on the Stag scene, and perhaps with the rest of the symbolism deeply hidden within the film. It seems I'm the odd woman out, but that's nothing unusal for me.

Melodramatic or not the film was fantastic. See it if you can.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

ON E!'s post-golden globe show the reporter interviewing Helen dropped one of her golden globes. they had put them on a small revolving platform and when the reporter went to pick them up to give back to helen she knocked one of them down. I have to say helen was so graceful. she got startled but immediately started laughing and joking abt it. the poor reporter almost had a heart attack-said it was the worst moment of her career. Thankfully the globe was apparently completely fine.
I wish we could know what the real queen thinks of all the praise for the movie and accolades helen is receiving for the role.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM

I doubt a woman who is Head of State of sixteen countries has time to worry about a work of complete and utter fiction that is pure eye-klinker for the dolts.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Courtier

It has been reported that the film's team have been invited to lunch at Buckingham Palace sometime this year.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Beatrixfan- I know you hated the movie and that her majesty has more pressing things to think about but I think her majesty is only human and im sure she must be aware of this film and that helen is getting awards all over the place for it (since the queen reads the papers and watches tv)--- im sure she must have some sort of opinion about all of this.

I have to say, I went to see this film with my husbabnd who is not really interested in royalty and who really had a more negative view of the queen but after the film completely changed his views and was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time believing some things in the film---including the whole chat abt abdication and the way the other royals were portrayed. Nevertheless i view it as a film ( i tried to put a lot of my own biases aside when seeing this film) and i think that it was a good movie and that helen was superb-many other actresses would have played the role flatly and made her seem more like a villain in this story but helen humanized her and look the simple fact is that people around the world have had a very very negative view of the queen since diana's death and this movie has changed the views of many people independently of whether any of it is to be taken as true or not. Regardless of whether anything in that film is true I love QEII and IM glad to see something that finally doesnt tell the story from the whole queen as villain perspective.

and as for the rumors that they'd been invited to the palace--helen mirren denied it and said that it had been distorted (which did leave me wondering what exactly she meant by distorted)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Oh I'm sure she's aware of it. Personally I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest the Queen would enjoy the film when it painted her mother, husband and son out to be complete chinless wonders. I think Dame Helen is a marvellous actress. She gave a flawless performance in 'Calendar Girls', her portrayal of Elizabeth I was simply amazing and I adored her Mrs Wilson character in 'Gosford Park'. I deeply respect her for finding a love for the Queen - but to some of us, this isn't anything new. Dame Helen speaks about the Queen as if she is a young Princess again, being discovered for the first time. Well, some of us have loved Her Majesty all our lives and have always put her before ourselves. Even if we believed something she did was wrong, we supported her. Even if we believed she should have said more, we supported her. That is unconditional love that IMO, every true and loyal subject should have for their monarch. My loyalty to the Queen has never waivered. It isn't the result of some film with an actress in a dodgy wig. It's natural. It just is. I'm very pleased that Helen Mirren has enjoyed playing the Queen and I'm delighted for her that she's won a few gongs for it but I think all this talk of it being the greatest film of the year and the Queen's favourite is pure fiction, just like the script of said film.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
I have to say, I went to see this film with my husbabnd who is not really interested in royalty and who really had a more negative view of the queen but after the film completely changed his views and was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.
How interesting! My boss just got back from London and saw the Queen on the flight home.

She said Helen Mirren played the Queen wonderfully - she said she hated the bitchy Queen and thought it was Mirren's best performance.

I never thought someone could see that movie and interpret the Queen as a really nasty bitchy woman.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Aristocracy

Beatrixfan-I agree that the queen would be at least uncomfortable with the way the other members of the royal family are represented. and i'll bet loads of money it isnt the queen's favorite. nevertheless i do think it might have a positive impact on how some perceive the queen afterall not everyone is as good a subject as you, and i also meant more internationally (not that her majesty would be very concerned with what people outside of her territories think of her) because i think in england, at least in my experience when i lived there, the queen continues to be respected (I even met young people who admire her, one particular person i met who was 19 told me she admired the queen because she thought the queen was a strong woman), the negative view of her following diana's death was shortlived but here in the states and in other places i think that many people still perceived the queen negatively as a result of those events and the movie and the publicity around the film and the film itself has had an impact on that I think. and by the way why are you not elizabethfan or lilibet fan if you are such a loyal subject?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Oh I'm sure she's aware of it. Personally I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest the Queen would enjoy the film when it painted her mother, husband and son out to be complete chinless wonders. I think Dame Helen is a marvellous actress. She gave a flawless performance in 'Calendar Girls', her portrayal of Elizabeth I was simply amazing and I adored her Mrs Wilson character in 'Gosford Park'. I deeply respect her for finding a love for the Queen - but to some of us, this isn't anything new. Dame Helen speaks about the Queen as if she is a young Princess again, being discovered for the first time. Well, some of us have loved Her Majesty all our lives and have always put her before ourselves. Even if we believed something she did was wrong, we supported her. Even if we believed she should have said more, we supported her. That is unconditional love that IMO, every true and loyal subject should have for their monarch. My loyalty to the Queen has never waivered. It isn't the result of some film with an actress in a dodgy wig. It's natural. It just is. I'm very pleased that Helen Mirren has enjoyed playing the Queen and I'm delighted for her that she's won a few gongs for it but I think all this talk of it being the greatest film of the year and the Queen's favourite is pure fiction, just like the script of said film.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 PM

ElizabethFan was far too long! And I think Queen Bea deserves a little nod of affection from fellow Europeans.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
How interesting! My boss just got back from London and saw the Queen on the flight home.

She said Helen Mirren played the Queen wonderfully - she said she hated the bitchy Queen and thought it was Mirren's best performance.

I never thought someone could see that movie and interpret the Queen as a really nasty bitchy woman.
thats funny i think that is true, to me Helen's queen did seem bitchy at times but then i found her bitchyness rather funny and I liked it that she was so strong but i thought that well one comes to understand her. I mean if we for a second believed most of this film i think one has to understand where she is coming from and why she is the way she is and i think that "the queen" does make at least an attempt at conveying that she has the feelings she has because of tradition and her position and the circumstances with diana and then you sort of feel sorry for her. and also she is rude to tony blair but here she is having been queen for such a long time and along comes this "new kid on the block" who seems to think he knows better than her. at least that was my take on it.