The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Gentry

Quote:
First of all, let me say that if you read up as much as I do on the British Royal Family, you were well able to follow some of the more subtle things (ex. Phillip's comments about "getting Diana to tow the line" about Charles' continuing post-marriage relationship with Camilla, that "that's just the way things are done"; Elizabeth, "oh really, Phillip?", and the implication that Philip may have been unfaithful?).
I'm so glad that someone else caught that, I was talking to some of my friends about it and that gave me a very confused look.....then again, they hadn't seen the movie and didn't really care about it either......*sniff* I'm the only one in my area that is interested in Queen Elizabeth II.....

Also, I didn't know that Helen Mirran was so tall, I couldn't tell at all. She was amazing, and while I would never confuse her with the real queen, I thought she got her characteristics down pat.

Another scene that I liked was when the Queen was sitting on the bank of the river after her car broke and began crying a bit. I liked how when she saw the deer she smiled, and her whole face lit up, just like it really does, and kind of gave us a glimpse into her personality and her more private feelings, but then moments later she composed herself and the smile faded away. It was like a door closing the change was so complete. I dunno, it may just be me, but I thought that scene was neat.

~QM

Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Gotta love Helen Mirren, no one plays the British Queens like she does
And do you remember the beginning of the movie, when she's being portrayed and in a moment she looks at the camera and it says "The Queen" in that moment the resemblance was sooooooooooo awesome, Mirren is really a great actress and if she's 5'10 how tall is the actor that portrays Prince Philip? 'cuz the height difference between them is quite large

Old 12-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Mirren is really a great actress and if she's 5'10 how tall is the actor that portrays Prince Philip? 'cuz the height difference between them is quite large
According to Wikipedia (sorry I couldn't find a more reliable source!),

"Cromwell is also known for his unusually tall stature; he stands at 201 cm (approx 6 ft 7 in)."

So if Helen Mirren is 5'10, then he was a good 9 inches taller; if QEII is 5'3 or so, then the real Prince Phillip is about 9 or so inches taller than her, so right on!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

On one biographical page of Helen Mirren's, it says she's 5' 4", which isn't all that different from the Queen's height.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

my husband is 6'6, I'm 6' and I reach about a little above his shoulder in flats so I don't think Mirren is that short, because the height difference would have been huge

This is Hugh Laurie with her at the Emmy Awards and he's a pretty tall guy (having seen him in person, he's taller than me) so Mirren is at least 5'8 :

Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Nobility

I saw the film last night and was delighted by it. In the scene at number 10, when Tony Blair's press secretary makes the snide remarks about Her Majesty and 'Tony' tears him to shreds for it, I must admit, the man endeared himself to me ... only for a moment though BeatrixFan
I adored Dame Helen's portrayal very much and am looking forward to seeing it again, I'm just not quite sure about the stride, it didn't seem natural.
As for the height difference, when I spoke to The Duke of Edinburgh in March, he and I were eye-level with eachother and I'm 6'1". Allowing for HRH's slouch, I'd say he's 6'3" and perhaps 6'4-5" in 1997.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Aristocracy

I watched it few days ago, I really liked it, it was a great one. I loved the way the Queen speaks and her humour, the actress was just fantastic.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

I saw the film yesterday and i love it!
Helen Mirren was great! And i like the way the film is. Because the "centre" is the Queen and not Diana's death. It's different.
BTW, i coulnd't agree more with Lady Bluffton and QueenMaharet.
Anyway i think it is one of the best films of 2006!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Commoner

Thumbs up Queen Elizabeth invites Helen Mirren for lunch

Hello everyone! I have seen "The Queen" twice. I absolutely loved this film . Even my friends who are not royalty fans were amazed by Helen Mirren's performance and also with Michael Sheen who played Tony Blair so brilliantly. I have learned that the Monarch herself gave the film her royal stamp of approval. Apparently, Her Majesty liked it so much that she invited Helen Mirren and a few other members involved with the production for lunch at the palace next year. Hopefully the actress will already be in possession of her Golden Globe and Academy Award, which she certainly deserves! I am posting a link with the article. My apologies if it has been posted already (I browsed through many posts but didn't see it). One thing I don't agree with the article though. It mentions the possibility of Queen Elizabeth not being present at the luncheon to meet the other "Queen". Well, I don't think she would have invited them had she not had plans 'to grace the guests with her presence'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

A Happy New Year to everyone!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

im really wanted see that movie! but its so awesome

but Helen Mirren really bravo in their roles as HM Queen Elizabeth and also Elizabeth I but im sure she will get globes award anytimes and also academy awards im hope she will get both awards for their movies.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

i saw helen once--from far---and she seemed tall but i do have to say i've noticed that she is always wearing huge heels, especially at awards shows, so i dont think she is really very tall.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Nobility

I just saw the film last week. It was really moving (showing film clips of the public people around Buckingham Palace and the steer getting shoot and Helen M. going to see the dead animal ) (it was also very funny [love Tony + Cherie Blair + Tony's publicity advisor]). I had no idea that the flag post indicated whether the Queen was in Buckingham Palace or not.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Commoner

Just noticed that Dame Helen Mirren is nominated for BAFTA for her role in the 'The Queen' and a Golden Globe, so someone out there must think that she is worthy of praise for her portrayal of the monarch.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinead
Just noticed that Dame Helen Mirren is nominated for BAFTA for her role in the 'The Queen' and a Golden Globe, so someone out there must think that she is worthy of praise for her portrayal of the monarch.
If she wins those two awards, the Oscar's probability is very high, I hope she gets that, she deserves it after that superb part!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Just thought I'd share this.

Peter King is a sports reporter for Sports Illustrated writing about the NFL (National Football League-American football)

He has a section in his weekly column, Monday Morning Quarterback, that's devoted to non-football stuff and would you believe he gave an endorsement of 'The Queen'?

It was somewhat humourous.

Quote:
b. I realize this will lower my rating on the Macho Scale, but I saw The Queen, with Helen Mirren, the other day and loved it. Not only is she great in it, but the plot, the story, the supporting actors ... Just a well-done movie with a compelling story about the death of Princess Diana. Mirren's incredibly believable.
Its so funny that Peter thought he had to preface his remarks with: I realize this will lower my rating on the Macho Scale,
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Nobility

Just watched the show here! I loveee the guy that played Alastiar, he's just sucha smart alex. But I really felt for Her Majesty in the show, but I think the only thing that's probably exaggarated is how Charles behaved. Don't think that Charles is as weak as that in real life.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:08 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6254717.stm

10 BAFTA nominations. Why this cinematic cat mucus got 10 nominations is beyond me.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Because Helen Mirren's performance is riveting; because the film gives an insight into HM's humour, humanity and iron sense of duty; and because the film will leave you sad at a senseless and tragic death, and angry at the equally senseless hysteria which threatened to engulf the throne. It's a powerful and emotional ride, and not always pleasant.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Hmmm. Did we both see the same film Warren?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Because Helen Mirren's performance is riveting; because the film gives an insight into HM's humour, humanity and iron sense of duty; and because the film will leave you sad at a senseless and tragic death, and angry at the equally senseless hysteria which threatened to engulf the throne. It's a powerful and emotional ride, and not always pleasant.
Does this mean you liked it?