The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Sophus, were there many mentions of Diana? What I mean to say is, is this a Diana fest? I'm tempted to go and see it but I don't want to have to walk out of the cinema after paying a fortune so I'd rather be warned before hand.
HI BeatrixFan. The presence of Diana in the movie is the strange part. It shifts between autentic tv-cuts of Diana making the movie look very realistic and documentary and then long quiet scenes with the actors and music making the movie look like an academy award drama. It did'nt work all the time for me, but most of the time it was ok. So yes - there were a lot of mentions of Diana but not in form of an actress - only in form of old news stories from BBC and CNN... The description of Diana seemed to me quite neutral - as she is only described by the media clip and not by an actress - so I would'nt call it a Diana Fest; more an observation. The feelings in the film is all shown by the Queen... I will recommend the movie - especially for us in The Royal Forums as it is so rare to see an a-film depicting a royal person - it uses to be done by bad tv-series...

Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
That sounds sweet... but why would a queen who loves stalking deer want to save THIS deer? Sounds overly sentimental IMO. I guess it makes for a good movie.
It WAS overly sentimental - but it was the first time in the film that the Queen expressed any feelings...

Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
That sounds sweet... but why would a queen who loves stalking deer want to save THIS deer? Sounds overly sentimental IMO. I guess it makes for a good movie.
I think the movie director must have gotten carried away with the symbolism. Actually I've heard from some objective critics that don't care about royalty or Diana that its a good movie so that it a good endorsement.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Thankyou Sophus. I've decided not to go and see the film. I'm happy to be ignorant on this one.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophus
There is especially one scene with a deer who is hunted and killed in the highland (a beautiful symbol of Diana whose name report to the Roman godess Diana who was often pictured as a deer). The Queen tries to save it but without luck...
The symbolism of the deer might instead be a metaphor for the Queen herself (monarch of the glen [the stag] meets monarch, both beleaguered).
Old 09-23-2006, 06:45 PM

Or it could be cinematic snot.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox6
What nonsense. It is a film. Who really knows how accurate it is. The British people did not have a "collective nervouse breakdown" there is no such thing. They recognized that had she been treated with decency and love from the prince, this young, lovely, troubled woman would still be alive. The villifying machines could not work as well when she was alive. She could answer. They had to wait until her death. Then they spewed as much muck as they could, so as to build up the prince's tarnished image. The Queen was totally out of touch with her subjects on this, as demonstrated. It was a time when the sacrosanct BRF had to answer to a very distraught public. They did not like it. Their more open attitudes today, stem from that very time.
Very well stated.

& the Hits just keep coming when it comes to Diana. I guess now she is to blame for the Lack of response to the public. & When went on TV & made their feelings know. Well. That is diana's fault also.

But Yes it will be a interesting Movie I don't know if I will be going to see it. I have to read the reviews 1st. Great Acting is always a plus, But Screenplay is more importnant to me. But, this big deal about the movie & how Helen does or doesn't does this role Is really not a Big deal. But, Helen is getting a nice buzz right now. However, it is early & there is her competition. Cate Blanchet, Kate Winslet( who has been nominated 4 times already) & there is another Dark horse out there. She has already won the Emmy for a Queen & the Acadmey members may feel Ok Been there Done that. But, I can see a Nomination though.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Or it could be cinematic snot.
I tend to agree with you.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am not sure if this is the right place for this article but, here goes!

What was that all about?

For all the emotion and sense of crisis that surrounded it, the death and mourning of Princess Diana—re-lived in Stephen Frears’s new film—was one of the most spectacular non-events of our time.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...hat_all_about/
Old 10-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

Today a film-critic from Belgium analyzed the movie in the program 'The Seventh Day' (a Sunday current affairs program on the Flemish TV).

He said that the initial reaction of The Queen and the royal family was one of understated empathy, 'stiff upperlip' and discretion. It was obvious that there was a terrible sadness and grief in the family, but that -naturally- the Queen wanted to keep this 'en famille' and took the Princes William and Harry under her comforting eyes.

The problem however, so analyzed that critic (Marc Reynebeau), was that Diana, Princess of Wales was a forebearer of the British 'new aristocracy' which are the Victoria Beckhams and today's unstoppable celebrity culture, "the anglosaxon disease". Diana was more a celebrity than a royal, to the taste of the royal family that was. And to the taste of the establishment.

So when Diana died, it was not the serene atmosphere the royal family expected with a death of a (former) member of the royal family. Instead a sort of hysteria, an Elvis-mania broke out. 'Their Diana' was dead. And suddenly 'the public' did not respect the family's wish to do it their own way. Suddenly the tabloids did shout: 'SHOW US YOU CARE, MA'AM !' and demanded the Queen to be in London and let the flag flying.

It must have traumatized the Queen (and the royal family). Marc Reynebeau was positive on the person of Diana on itself. He was overly negative on her 'contribution' to the monarchy. He blamed her the 'Beckhamization' of the monarchy.

For so far the Belgian TV.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Another good review. I wasn't impressed by the preview but all these reviews are making me change my mind I might end up going to see it.

http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.c...s/1387456.armx

Quote:
Yet Mirren so fully becomes Elizabeth, the film eerily feels like a privileged, stolen peek at life inside the palace walls. Her Elizabeth is such a commanding presence - icily august one moment, mournfully human the next
Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal pain

Mirren and Frears save The Queen.

http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid24097.aspx
Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Commoner

I watched the movie yesterday. It's a great movie, very interesting and superbly acted. It isn't a "Diana fest", is a "QE II fest". I would recommend it.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

The movie makes for a great drama and once the novelty of seeing the inner workings of the monarchy, you are left with a new found respect for her Majesty. I think this movie will be a hit in the US at least.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Courtier

Helen Mirren will be on The View today
Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Im gonna see it, Goodness I Hope its not one of those "Diana was a Saint The Royals are Evil" Movies I Hope both sides are represented equally.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Im gonna see it, Goodness I Hope its not one of those "Diana was a Saint The Royals are Evil" Movies I Hope both sides are represented equally.
I just saw the film and would highly recommend it; though its really not about the Royal Family or even about Diana.

It really focuses on the developing relationship between Tony Blair and the Queen. The Queen represents the prim and proper British stiff upper lip whose first nature is to sacrifice oneself to one's duty and stoically carry on despite all hardship-steadfastness for her is the noblest virtue- and Tony Blair represents the new energetic Britons that want to modernize Britain, wipe away privilege, and use the media to push its message. They come from two different worlds with very different expectations about what is needed and during the movie they both learn more about each other and they learn from each other, and how the other person really feels.

I think it has to be a very clever dramatisation because I'm not sure the understanding between the Queen and Tony Blair was anything more than on the surface but its interesting how the movie brings these two very different characters together and have them affect each other. At one point, the character who plays Tony Blair feels guilty for bullying or pushing the Queen around to show public grief.

Its the old story of the old traditional ways and the new revolutionary ideas and what happens when the two collide. The one disappointment was that the other characters were cardboard characters - not very well portrayed. Philip is portrayed as an oaf, the Queen Mother as a doddering old fool, Charles appears sympathetic but you don't really get a good sense of him.

Overall, though, it was a very good movie. If you're expecting a more indepth view of the Royal Family or Diana though, that's not what the movie is about. It is, as the title suggests, about the Queen.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting; I wonder how much more input Tony Blair's side of the story had, since, as you said, he's the one using the media to get the message across. Michael Sheen has also played Tony Blair in a previous Stephen Frears production according to IMDB.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
Has Helen Mirren played The Queen before? I'm sure she has..
Hmmm, she played Queen Elizabeth I in the movie "Elizabeth I". And now she's Queen Elizabeth II! It's cool!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I wonder how much more input Tony Blair's side of the story had, since, as you said, he's the one using the media to get the message across. Michael Sheen has also played Tony Blair in a previous Stephen Frears production according to IMDB.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it from that angle, Elspeth. Was that "The Deal"? I read that the screenwriter, Frears and Sheen had worked together on a previous made-for-British-TV film about the relationship between Blair and Gordon Brown. This time apparently they just added Helen Mirren to their group.

Both Blair and Charles seemed more sympathetic than I imagined them being but it would be interesting if Tony Blair's people themselves made input into the movie especially given how the movie ended.

Towards the end of the movie, the Queen talks to Blair about the people's hatred for her during those days and says to him in a cautionary tone

"one day, suddenly and without warning, the same thing will happen to you."

Considering Blair's current public image, its quite a sobering thought. I'm not sure Blair is that brave.

-- Deepak Chopra