The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

King George, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, the Queen, Prince Philip, Princes Charles, Andrew and Edward, The Princess Royal obviously never cracked a smile before the movie . . . . .

Princes William and Harry result of immaculate conception and so "show, very human qualities".

Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
King George, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, the Queen, Prince Philip, Princes Charles, Andrew and Edward, The Princess Royal obviously never cracked a smile before . . . . .
I don't think there was much INTIMATE human contact before Diana, Princess of Wales came on the scene. They smiled, but after Diana died they employed PR men around the Prince of Wales. I will give an example: a very human action of hugging and carrying a sick child, Diana did that, but the Princess Royal never did, and she is patron to a major children charity. The Queen recently drop something and a little girl gave it back to her. It was very touching and I wonder if the Queen in the past would be that close and that responsive to the little one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Princes William and Harry "show, very human qualities".
Yes, they hug the children at royal engagements just like their mother. There was a photo of Prince William recently doing that. Both Princes engage a crowd on engagements. Prince William sleeps with the homeless. I know the movie was fictional, but the main theme: BRF modernized after the Princess, I got that out of the movie.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
The Queen recently drop something and a little girl gave it back to her. It was very touching and I wonder if the Queen in the past would be that close and that responsive to the little one.
You obviously didn't see or read of the kids outside Crathie Parish Church and seen the interaction between the BRF and those that camp out in the cold just to greet them. The tradition predates the marriage of Charles and Diana, not to mention the film "The Queen" as does a large part of HM life which you so neglegently toss off as never having happened nor containing any empathy or sympathy.

The Queen was visiting hospitals as a child. It is offensive to write off her life as irrelevant before the advent of Diana. Similarly the Princess Royal carries out a heavy load of official engagements most of which tend not to be covered by the media. You do not know how she interacted with those children she met. Being spoken to and noticed may in fact be a lot nicer than being mugged by someone you have never met and have a hundred flashbulbs going off in your face!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I remember seeing a picture of Queen Mary visiting a hospital, probably in the 20s. She stood at a sick childrens bed and gave this child a single flower and smiled slightly. It was so touching since it seemed spontaneous. I have to say that I prefer such spontaneous moments rather than Princes and Princesses hugging totally unknown, poor sick children because there's a bunch of cameras around them.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I have to say that I prefer such spontaneous moments rather than Princes and Princesses hugging totally unknown, poor sick children because there's a bunch of cameras around them.

I agree. It's much nicer to see something spontaneous, because then it's natural and not faked.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

I guess there are different views of the Royal Family before Diana and after. So guys, we have to disagree to agree about things. But for the record, I do admire Queen Elizabeth II and all the hard work Prince Anne does.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love this film! Great casting and directing. The dialogue's exceptional too. I love the way this movie focused on the Queen. Her attitude, her feeling, etc. There's so many movies about Diana and the Queens of old, but this one really focuses on Elizabeth when Diana died. Part 2 is supposed to be in production, If it is I will definitely be wanting to see that one.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

You've lost me. I thought "The Queen" was about the death of Diana and it's aftermath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
What can they include though? 10 years worth of Daily Express headlines? The film went thus; Di dead. Queen miserable. Charles creepy. Blair hero. Di buried. People get over it. Queen happy. What more is there to say?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It was about the aftermath of Diana's death and how it was handled by The Queen.
That is why the film is called The Queen.

If there is a sequel, i will scream. The Queen was a masterpiece and it should be left at that. It left nothing to be answered and no loose ends.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
If there is a sequel, i will scream. The Queen was a masterpiece and it should be left at that. It left nothing to be answered and no loose ends.
Looks like you'll be screaming because the sequel is supposedly in pre-production. But it seems like this one will focus more on Tony Blair.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Administrator

It may be a sequel to "The Queen" but it's actually the third part of a trilogy concentrating on Tony Blair.
The films are The Deal (2003), The Queen (2006) and The Special Relationship, which according to Wikipedia is due to be shown on HBO in Canada and the US in two days time - May 29. This last film centres on the Tony Blair/Bill Clinton dynamic.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved the movie!

Helen Mirren did such a great job.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

The sequel is supposedly about the death of QEQM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just got done watching this movie again. It made me cry...mostly for Elizabeth and how hurt she must have been and how much she suffered. Even at her age I hope she was able to take it as just a learning experience on mass hysteria.
I don't understand why some people didn't like the portrayal of the QM? I thought she came off as a sweet old lady who cared about her daughter. I also didn't see Charles as weak.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Gentry

As much as I like and respect Helen Mirren, I didn't think she deserved to win the Oscar for this role. She did a great job in it, however I saw nothing Oscar worthy of it. I do think she was worthy of a nomination however.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree, I've only seen Helen in 2 movies but she truly became QEII in this movie. It made me see her as a woman as opposed to the elderly Queen of England.
Also is there still going to be a sequel about the death of her mother? I hope it also deals with the death of her sister.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator

see post #411 regarding the sequel to "The Queen".
Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

Helen Mirren did a truly terrific job as HM and I think that her Oscar was well-earned.

I've actually just finished writing my major written assignment on this film and while thoroughly analysing films can really ruin films for you, I still like it a lot. My only problem, really, is that the DoE and the Queen Mum both have really suffered under the entertainment value of the film. They both come across as a little too snarky and ignorant for the mere purpose of a little laughter and that's just sad. The dialogue would be witty enough without that.

I love the Stag-scene (which, after doing a shot by shot analysis of it, I love even more now than I did before). I like to believe that she mirrors herself in the stag and see Diana in it as well. Diana was being hunted and in those four-five days, so was HM. There's also something very beautiful and sad in the fact that she breaks down in tears only when she's alone, where no one can see her. Ugh, I could go on about my love for that scene, but I wont

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Terrific film and a tour de force by Helen Mirran. Stunning to realise that it is a work of fiction.