The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Courtier

Unlike the rest of you, I really enjoyed 'The Queen'. I thought it an elegant, sympathetic, and, yes, realistic portrayal of what might well have happened.

Like everyone else, I don't know how true the film was, but I do know that London was consumed by grief at the time (I was there) and that drastic events were mooted, albeit in rumbled and subdued tones.

I think, as well, that as myth and legend subverts much of our current thinking, and will always impose itself on the future consciousness, this film doesn't do too badly by Her Majesty. As for the others, well, boo-sucks to them, in my view. HM is the only consideration: well, the only one whom I care about in this particular instance.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
"... it was part of his series of plays about Tony Blair...
Interesting, I wish I knew that prior to seeing the film.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I think, as well, that as myth and legend subverts much of our current thinking, and will always impose itself on the future consciousness, this film doesn't do too badly by Her Majesty. As for the others, well, boo-sucks to them, in my view. HM is the only consideration: well, the only one whom I care about in this particular instance.
Well I would say that it is not quite so unimportant as to how Charles is played so I can't quite boo-suck an unfair portrayal of him. HM the Queen may be the present of the monarchy but Charles is the future.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Yes, good people, the movie had its purple patches and yes Charles and Philip do not come across well at all in the movie and I thought the interpretation of the Queen Mum totally outrageous as everything I know about her, which is not admittedly much, is that underneath all the sweetness and charm there was a brain and will of stainlesss steel. I hope she was not that out of it in real life as she was in the movie. Same for Charles, whom I have always thought has gotten the worst press, and for Philip.

As for a series about Blair, Good Lord, Deliver us!!!! Why not a series about Bill Clinton or Boris Yelsin???

One must understand that protocol and the rules of how things are done is at the very essence of monarchy. You simply must have form and order and without that the whole scene just collapses into mush. So I clearly understand why the Queen stuck to her guns and did what she did. When you have rules, tradition and how you should behave, life really is so much easier. On a superficial level it is called manners. Cheers.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Well I would say that it is not quite so unimportant as to how Charles is played so I can't quite boo-suck an unfair portrayal of him. HM the Queen may be the present of the monarchy but Charles is the future.
I also feel that it is important how everybody is portrayed. Even the portrayal of HM left a lot to be desired and this film should have carried the warning that it was how the writer 'imagined' the RF might have behaved, very little of the regime at Balmoral or any shooting estate was, IMO, correct!
Quote:
but I do know that London was consumed by grief at the time (I was there)
As were quite a few and yes, many appeared to follow the path the media set them on, of the ever popular recreational grieving.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

This was a basically unimportant movie and, if not for the Helen Mirren Hoo Ha, would have gone unoticed. There was nothing remarkable about it and most of us do not care how anyone was portrayed, because to some extent that is artistic license. Unless, it was written or told by the people involved how would we know?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Suffolk | Canines success on silver screen
Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
This was a basically unimportant movie and, if not for the Helen Mirren Hoo Ha, would have gone unoticed.
Even without Helen Mirren, a movie about the death of Diana coming close to the 10th anniversary would have attracted notice even if it were filled with B-actors and had been a bad movie.

History will tell if it is an unimportant movie, however, it may fall the wayside like Marie Antoinette, the 1938 version with Norma Schearer, that was supposed to be so groundbreaking for its time and is now regarded as a costume period pied.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Time will tell. As time passes memories dim. Not that there were any Marie Antoinette contemporaries in 1938, but in a few years the children who are 10 or below will be the teenagers and young adults and they will never have know who the living person was. Diana is an icon today, but know of tomorrow. The movie itself was unremarkable, but, as you say, caught attention just by virtue of the time.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Did the Queen and Tony Blair make a secret pact NOT to watch Helen Mirren's portrayal of the monarch?

Mail online 2 June 2009

The Queen and Tony Blair made a pact not to watch the Oscar-winning film The Queen, actor Michael Sheen claimed as he collected an OBE today.
The star, who played the former Prime Minister in the 2006 movie, said the pair came to an 'agreement' not to watch it.

Mr Sheen, 40, let slip the news after receiving an OBE from Her Majesty for services to Drama earlier today. The actor said: 'I heard through a fairly reliable source that there was an agreement she was not going to watch the film and Mr Blair wasn't going to watch the film either.'

He added: 'There were only two people in the room when that happened and one of them told me, I'm not going to say any more than that.'
Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM

"The Queen"-movie

Have anyone seen the "The Queen"-movie? I am thinking about the movie with Helen Mirren as Queen Elisabeth. (Maybe it's a silly question - members of a royal forum would most probably watch royal movies.. ) The movie I'm talking about it's on Norwegian TV tonight, and I'm considering watching it. Well, should I?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I watched it and yes, I liked the movie.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

It's a great movie, definitely a must watch! Helen Mirren's acting was amazing!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderful movie, yes, watch it! Great acting, wonderful costumes and set designs. I especially like the stag symbolism. Enjoy it!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Thank you for your response I really liked the movie (Even though I did not think the the Prince Charles-actor looked like the real-life-Charles at all...)
Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

I just saw this movie and I really enjoyed it. Even if wasn't historically accurate, I enjoyed how it treated fairly all sides.

It did feel very anti-Diana though. I get that she was different person in private than she was in public, but one would think from the reactions her family and the Blair contingent was having towards her was that she was some serial killer in secret and the people mourning her were just being stupid to do so.

Still, I find the film strangely compelling and it's one of those films where every rewatch reveals a new layer. So I'm looking forward to future rewatches of it.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think the movie was anti-Diana at all. I think it was just trying to show that the Queen didn't see Diana as anything more than an ex-daughter-in-law so she wasn't able to grasp the amount of grief people were feeling. Of course, she felt sympathy because of her grandsons but she wasn't going into hysterics over someone who she no longer felt was part of the Royal Family.

Anyway, I always thought the movie was really more about her relationship with Tony Blair and how it went from her having the upper hand and not really thinking very much of him and him being a little starstruck in her presence to one where they were almost equals.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen was on television Monday. I have now seen this movie twice. I came away with the feeling both times that the Queen Elizabeth became more aware of her subjects and their feelings in the days after the Princess of Wales death. The movie was a fictional drama of actual events and should have a disclaimer for future viewers.

Both times I saw the movie I felt the drama was very believable. It seemed before my eyes the Queen was transformed by the feelings her subjects had for the Princess. In the film's climax, the Royal Family returns to London and inspects the floral tributes. The Queen also goes on live television to speak about Diana's life and legacy, even going so far as calling her "an exceptional and gifted human being." Two months later, Blair visits Buckingham Palace for a weekly meeting. The Queen has regained her popularity, but believes she will never quite fully recover from "that week." She cautions Blair that one day he too will find that public opinion can rapidly turn against him. She declares, however, that times have changed and that the monarchy must "modernise." And at this date April 2010 it has.

Another part of the movie that I loved was the stag scene. The Queen was sitting waiting for a repair person for her vehicle. Finally, with everything that's happen she cries. Elizabeth looks up and sees a majestic stag and tries to make it run away from being hunted. This to me is a symbol of Diana being hunted by the press. The next day the Queen hears about the amatuer killing of the stag and went to see it on other estate. Here she decides to go to London and take Tony Blair's suggestion about making a speech and communicating with her people about the Princess. I think that symbolic symbol made the movie.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
What can they include though? 10 years worth of Daily Express headlines? The film went thus; Di dead. Queen miserable. Charles creepy. Blair hero. Di buried. People get over it. Queen happy. What more is there to say?
Succinctly put! And yet here we are more than a decade after her death and people still think the movie is "History" with a capital H!

I thought the whole movie was a hoot. Every aspect of it, aside from those with actual footage of actual events, was no more than the wild fantascising of the screenwritier. The less said about deers or stags the better!

In the asbsence of "real" events he created a fantasy tale . . . . the "Wicked Queen", although to be quite honest it's a toss-up between who he was trying to portray, the Queen or her mother. As for the Duke of Edinborough and Prince Charles . . . . . . complete cardboard cut-out characters, so stiff upper-lipped that it translated to their supposed "chinless- wonder" personalities imagined by the film's creators.

I don't think it was anti-Diana in any way. Anti the Queen and the entire British Royal family yes except of course for "The Boys". It creeps me out that people talk and write about them like they are still the same age, forever frozen in time so that people who don't know them, never knew them and are even more unlikely to actually see them in the flesh, can commiserate with each other over the poor wee things for all eternity.

I think the only comment that BeatrixFan missed out was "World sucked in by journos, and went loony!" Maybe they can make a film about the world going nuts, after all there is a surfeit of footage about the extremely embarassing looneyness back then.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
10 years worth of Daily Express headlines? The film went thus; Di dead. Queen miserable. Charles creepy. Blair hero. Di buried. People get over it. Queen happy. What more is there to say?
What is more to say about the movie THE QUEEN. By 2010 the British Royal Family has modernized. The BRF has intimate royal engagement now and a website to keep in contact with the common person. Prince William and Prince Henry at all their engagements show, very human qualities, like their wonderful mother, Diana, Princess of Wales.