The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness

Has Helen Mirren played The Queen before? I'm sure she has..

Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

The Movie 'The Queen' received national attention yesterday in the USA because it was shown as an article in the USA Today newspaper, and not only that, the cover of the Newpaper had a picture of Dame Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II:
Mirren mirrors the queen and here is the USA Today photo gallery on Mirren in costume compared to the real Queen Elizabeth II

these are some recent mentions in other news:
Dame Helen Mirren has slammed criticisms a bedroom scene in her controversial new movie is a "cheap shot" at British monarch Queen Elizabeth II
2006-08-09 14:21:28 - PR Inside News

Blair shown calling Charles a creep in new Diana film
By BAZ BAMIGBOYE, CHIEF SHOWBIZ WRITER 21:41pm 9th August 2006

Mirren, Bening taking star turns on the big and little screens
Liz Smith
Originally published July 31, 2006

Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Aristocracy

The trailer has been posted on Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/thequeen/

You can even watch it in high definition. It looks really good.

Pigeonhole THIS.com
Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Royal Highness

My web browser was shut down when I tried to open the link.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I think its important to remember that this film isn't so much about Diana, as it is about the Queen. Yes, the film is set around the tragic circumstances of 1997 but it is, primarily focussed on the sovereign and the circumsatnces of the situation that Elizabeth II as Monarch, mother and grandmother had to face. The highest lady in the land who's upbringing was to remain 'utterly oyster' (QM) in most (if not all) aspects of expression.

It was no doubt the most challenging experience she had faced, after the death of her father and I really felt for her very deeply. I also think that it was one of the biggest learning curves Elizabeth has ever had to endure and it is horrible that it had to come at the price of such a treasured life.

Dame Helen only used a wig for her role so the likeness cant be all that similar and her voice was her own (no trainning to sound like the Queen - I think?).

Apprently her demeanour was very much Elizabeth, as would be expected.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I have to admit, I was sceptical about this film - but after watching the trailer, I've changed my mind. It looks interesting. Of course it is just speculating as to the dialogue and whatnot in the film, but it looks like a film I'd like to watch. Now, here's to hoping the cinemas in Copenhagen will see it as a movie of interest, instead of having it go straight to DVD.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Nobility

I wonder what Queen Elizabeth will think of this movie about her and her family set to be released in theaters in Canada in 6 weeks. It sounds like a good cast in the movie.

"It was the most intimidating role I have ever played," she says of her portrayal of Elizabeth II in The Queen, a film that depicts the British royal family in crisis following the death of Princess Diana.

The Queen gives a dramatic glimpse into what happens in the corridors of power when tragedy strikes and shows how the tradition-bound world of the Royal Family is abruptly brought into conflict with the country's brand-new, image-conscious Prime Minister Tony Blair, played by Michael Sheen.

The movie is slated to open in Toronto theatres Oct. 13.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969483191630
Old 09-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Film suggests Queen was baffled by grief over Diana

Sat Sep 2, 2006 9:04am ET

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...E-QUEEN-DC.XML
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM

I'm sure Dame Helen is going to give us another magical performance. She is one of Britain's best actresses and she's a Royalist too. When Jonathon Ross criticised the Queen on his show and Helen was a guest, she pretty much launched an attack on Ross saying that he was totally wrong and defended the Queen. I'm 100% certain that Mirren wouldn't have had anything to do with the film if it was anti-Queen.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Nobility

I agree, I am sure it is not anti-queen, but it will reveal the thought/emotional process she went through when dealing with the death of Diana and the reality of how much people around the world loved her. To me that will be most interesting.

The movie has an incredible cast. I can't wait until it is released.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Well, from what I hear, it's more about the Windsors vs the Blairs which is a very hot topic in Britain.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Nobility

That makes me want to see it even more
Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Me too. I hear that Mirren and Sheen do a wonderful job and that the Queen puts Blair in his place more than once.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
it will reveal the thought/emotional process she went through when dealing with the death of Diana and the reality of how much people around the world loved her
Actually, it will reveal what the scriptwriters are guessing were her thoughts and emotions.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Nobility

The movie made quite a hit at the screenings in Venice.

CINEMA, VENICE: GREAT SUCCESS FOR 'THE QUEEN'
(AGI) – Venice, 2 September – The film "The Queen" by Stephen Frears has been so far the one that received the strongest and most generous applause at the Venice Film Festival. The two screenings for the press were an absolute success, followed by a big round of applause.

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?do...-eng.oggitalia
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

Queen 'baffled by grief over Diana'
By Mike Collett-White in Venice
September 02, 2006 08:14pm
some quotes taken from the above article:

...QUEEN Elizabeth was unable to comprehend the public's grief at Princess Diana's death in 1997 but was finally convinced to cast aside royal protocol by Prime Minister Tony Blair, a new film shows.
...Actor Helen Mirren, who has just won an Emmy for her title role in the mini-series Elizabeth I, takes on the unusual task of portraying a living monarch in the film, which also explores newly-elected Blair's role in the crisis..
..Michael Sheen reprises the part of Blair which he also played in the television drama The Deal. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
I was just trying to be polite by answering Toledo's question. I know what this thread is about. I just doing an act of kindness by helping another poster out.
I apologize to all for that.
No need to apologize for anything, Lady Marmalade. And thanks for helping out with the information related to both the film and the actors that are in it. Most of the buzz we heard over here is not just about the film The Queen and the issue on it but on the lead actress herself, Dame Helen Mirren, who just won an Emmy for best actress in the miniseries Elizabeth (is also won best actor, best director and best series/ or TV movie categories). So, everyone is counting the movie The Queen will also crown Helen Mirren with an Oscar next spring.
ps. Speaking of Spring, thanks for the hint on Helen Mirren's version of Tenesse Williams' play The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone,I did go out and got the movie! Thanks
A cousin of mine also pointed out to me recently Helen Mirren was none other than the young actress we saw as kids in a movie called Excalibur, playing the evil Morgana, or Morgan Le Fey as she is known in English speaking countries. If she wins the oscar for The Queen someone should make a DVD Box Edition of her great performances about members of the Royal House.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM

A montage of Helen Mirren as the Queen from IMDB.com

In the first pic (top left) you can see actress Sylvia Sims playing The Queen Mother. James Cromwell plays the Duke of Edinburgh, Michael Sheen plays Tony Blair, Helen McCroy (who played Lady Castlemaine in Charles II : Power and Passion) plays Cherie.

You can see the trailers here;

http://1.aamoviez.com/trailers/Queen,_The

These pics are from aamoviez.

An advisor, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh from the film

Dame Helen as The Queen

And with the actor playing Charles...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Nobility

The Queen' Explores Tension Between Royal Duty, Public Passion

By Iain Millar
Sept. 4 (Bloomberg)

The controversy arises because it does something very unfashionable indeed: it makes queen and prime minister look human.

There are plenty of laughs in the film, but none that set out to humiliate. The humor comes mainly from the clash of two wildly differing cultures. Blair mocks a courtier who pronounces ``precedent'' as ``preceedent.'' Prince Philip, (played by the veteran American actor James Cromwell), describes the list of mourners at the princess's funeral as a ``chorus line of soap stars and homosexuals.'' The Queen Mother (Sylvia Syms) is put out that her long- established funeral arrangements are to be adapted for Diana's.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...oU9W8&refer=uk
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Aristocracy

THE QUEEN movie to be released in 2006

I have discovered that a movie about Her Majesty following the days of Diana's death will be released later this year. However, everything I read says limited release in NY and LA....will this be released to mainstream USA anytime and if so, when. I don't want to have to go to New York to watch a movie..

http://movies.monstersandcritics.com...The_Queen/8711
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will the movie come out in the u.s.