The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kennedy had charisma and when he spoke you listened. He did not just read a speech, he was part of it. Unfortunately, and maybe not, the queen reads her speeches quite flat. He also made and worked for the policy he spoke of, his death, of course, set him apart. The queen hasn't made policy, she is just what you said, a constant. Neither good nor bad, just is.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, to be fair to Dame Helen, she did a cracking job despite the script she was given and that's all an actress can do.
I had no problem with her acting, just the, (IMO), inaccurate story being passed off as fact. Yes it made some people 'look' at how they reacted, but to me it is worrying that some people seem to quote this film as being a factual account of what happened.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 AM

Oh I agree. There should have been a disclaimer at the beginning saying that it was based on fact which would at least have let intelligent viewers know that it was drivel. But then again, intelligent viewers should have known that already. I agree with you that the quoting of it as a historical source is ridiculous and has been happening but I think that'd happen with any film!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I can't believe people are talking about the movie still. It was good, interesting point of view, I think it got a lot right and a lot wrong but it was not outstanding.

My only beef was that it made Charles appear nicer than I think he really was but much more of a nincompoop and it definitely made Tony Blair out to be nicer than he really was so the story was more about the heroism of Tony Blair.

The one comment that struck me as fitting was when the Queen told Prince Philip that "We have to remember that the adoring public did not see the side of Diana that we saw"

Whether the Queen actually said those words, I think it encapsulated the differerences in the Royal Family's reactions to Diana's death and the public. The public and the Royal Family saw two different sides of Diana and their reactions were perfectly reasonable given the side of Diana they saw.

But neither the public nor the Royal Family saw the whole picture.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Well (and I loathed Blair) it was Blair's finest hour. It was definately his highlight. I don't think the film made Charles look nice, it actually made him look very creepy and backstabbing which I found slightly unsettling.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Don't know if this has its place here but I've made a drawing of the movie some time ago and I've filmed myself doing it. Here's the video :

(much more interesting than the first part)

And there, the final state :
'The Queen' by ~SensibleRose on deviantART

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think the film somehow softens the character of the Queen... like the scenes of her with the moose, etc. Sometimes, Elisabeth II even appears as a movable or too sensible person, which I don't see as correcponding to the reality.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Elsa, was it a moose or a deer? I thought a deer.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M. View Post
I think the film somehow softens the character of the Queen... like the scenes of her with the moose, etc. Sometimes, Elisabeth II even appears as a movable or too sensible person, which I don't see as correcponding to the reality.
Elsa, do you mean sensible or sensitive. Sensible in English means that one is very clear headed and has a lot of common sense. Sensitive means that one's emotions are easily touched.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Yes, ladies... I meant "deer" and "sensitive"... that's what happens when you try to speak English and you don't master the language
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M. View Post
Yes, ladies... I meant "deer" and "sensitive"... that's what happens when you try to speak English and you don't master the language
Ah, thanks for explaining Elsa. I was a bit confused; while the Queen strikes me as not very sensitive sometimes, she has always struck me as someone who is very sensible.

I agree the deer scene was a bit too melodramatic but in other scenes the Queen appeared more of a stickler for strict protocol than the Queen Mother and I had always imagined that the Queen was more flexible in matters of protocol whereas the Queen Mother was more strict.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen's screen corgis up for a Fido - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

A lose sequel to The Queen is underway according to the BBC

Quote:
The writer of award-winning film The Queen has started work on the sequel.
Director Peter Morgan will examine...

Anyone hear more about this?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Another one? "The Queen 2 : Return of the Dodgy Wig" or "The Queen Strikes Back...and this time she's wearing tartan"? "Q2 : Revenge of the Queen" or "Miss Congenitality 3 : Lizzie in Heels". Honestly, talk about milking it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

They do need to milk it more, Beatrixfan. So much was left out of the film and many moviegoers left the moviehouse feeling empty. So now is a great time to make a sequel!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:47 PM

What can they include though? 10 years worth of Daily Express headlines? The film went thus; Di dead. Queen miserable. Charles creepy. Blair hero. Di buried. People get over it. Queen happy. What more is there to say?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but we need more. I'm kidding, BeatrixFan. I agree with you, there is no need for a sequel even though the movie will follow Blair, mainly, and his dealings with something that I cannot think of at the moment. I don't believe the writer will re-hash the whole Diana aftermath thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM

I heard that the sequel would complete a three-fold trilogy about the premiership of Tony Blair but I should think they'll wait for the memoirs before they go ahead with it.

I'm glad you agree with me about the sequel - for a moment I thought you'd gone quite peculiar.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I heard that the sequel would complete a three-fold trilogy about the premiership of Tony Blair but I should think they'll wait for the memoirs before they go ahead with it.

I'm glad you agree with me about the sequel - for a moment I thought you'd gone quite peculiar.

I was joking. Though I do believe the whole thing should be buried under heavy sand, at least for awhile.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

"The Queen" wasn't really meant to be about the Queen, it was part of his series of plays about Tony Blair, which I assume is why Blair came across so much more favourably than any of the royals. This sequel is another of the Tony Blair plays and won't be anything to do with the Queen if the first one in the series is any guide. If people are trying to claim that this one is also going to be about the Queen, they're in for a disappointment.